Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I am pretty new at this, but when I tested the bale with 14k acid, it started to smoke and give off fumes. I got the acid right off. I was advised by another on an ebay jewelry board what to do. I directly tested on an inconspicuous piece, top of pendant, bottom of bale. I have tested pieces that were not gold before and the acid ate through the material. I find silvertone rings all the time that you can tell were acid tested. The silvertone coating is worn off down to the base metal, which is a coppery color.

2. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from a photo, but the bead looks like it's either dichroic glass or, more likely, a Venetian glass Aventurina bead. Aventurina (aventurine in English) is glass with very tiny bits of copper flakes embedded.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

To my mind, looking good together counts for a lot. Plus if it's a marriage, it's putting a top that lost it's bottom to good use. :)

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Sharona, I love the tall vase with what look like hand-painted flowers... very lovely!

mymysharona43 likes this.
  5. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Sharona, I probably don't need to tell you this, but you know 585 means it's 14K?

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

RE: redware

As far as I know, "redware" is used only for pieces made from red clay, so any unglazed portions would look red, or a brownish-red.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

8. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Thanks Messi and Pat Yes I knew thats 14k appreciated it though! Too bad the feet are chipped on the flowered vase

9. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Agreed! Thanks, Pat!

Also, thank you both for your replies and linked info.

Here are two 19th C. Bristol, MA. redware pieces where the color of the clay looks much lighter........similar to the clay on my parcel-green glazed pot. To my eye, the clay doesn't look even close in color to the red found on those in the link above. But they are called redware.

Interesting what I am learning here today.

f659d15f00225417f43efd40a34941d5-001.jpg

REDWARE MASS 001.jpg

10. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

From what I've read, the color of red clay deepens the longer it's fired, so it can range from a salmon color to a deep red. So maybe these items have a light salmon color on the base that isn't obvious in the photos?

11. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Pat.

Perhaps, I'm not sure, but still researching.

Take a look at this...

GREEN POT.jpg

This flower pot glaze color, clay color and that ruffled rim look very similar to my pot....no?

Regarding green-glazed redware...

"In her master’s thesis entitled “The Culture of Flowerpots,” Hazel Lathrop wrote of the popularity in the early 19th century of green-glazed flowerpots. She cites the 1827 “Encyclopedia of Gardening,” which characterized the “glazed pot” as “generally glazed green” (Lathrop p. 84). According to Lathrop’s research, green-glazed flowerpot sherds were excavated from sites in Kingston, MA, Plymouth, MA, Quincy, MA and Lowell, MA, all from early 19th-century contexts".

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I dunno, 'Nuff. I'm not an expert in this, just going by the common definition of "redware."

13. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Redware is a type of earthenware, meaning it is low-fired pottery, fired from 1745°F to 2012°F. There are different types of earthenware, depending on the composition of the clay itself. If the clay contains a lot of iron, it will turn red after firing, thus becoming Redware.

Both of the examples in post #570 look like low-fired earthenware, but if it isn't red, it isn't Redware.

Other types of pottery can be made from red clay, or clay that fires red, but it isn't called Redware unless it is also a low-fired earthenware. The depth of the red color has to do with the composition of the clay, and the temperature at which it is fired, not necessarily the length of the firing, although the two can be related. If the glaze has matured and is shiny, though, it probably indicates that the right temperature was reached. The glaze is specifically designed for each type of clay, and for a specific firing temperature. Redware often is glazed with a lead-based glaze, because lead glaze reaches maturity at a low temperture.

'Nuff_Said, why don't you post these two pots on the Pottery Forum to see if someone recognizes them? Not everyone checks this New Finds thread, and discussions like this can get more attention there.

Pat P likes this.
  14. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Thanks Bakersgma. Yes Calder it is. I hate these senior moments! LOL

Pat P likes this.
  15. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Taupou, for the above detailed info. Much appreciated.

I do apologize to everyone. I often have a habit of trying to start a discussion within this Finds Thread.

I went head an started a thread on the PG&P Board.

Thank you all for your replies and info

Pat P likes this.
  16. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Ack, don't have photos yet, but this weekend I purchased...
    Gorham sterling creamer and sugar
    Two Nymphenburg blanc de Chine figurines
    Charles May sterling cranberry glass perfume bottle (miniature)
    watercolor painted by Prince Albert (Queen Victoria's husband's) mistress

17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Prince Albert had a mistress????? :eek:

18. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I know! I researched just a tad yesterday and it is said that Albert was the most loyal husband ever. But there is a notation on the back of this painting that said it was found in a portfolio/diary of a woman who wrote about being his mistress. Intriguing, although the painting is not, I'm afraid.

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, Vickie was the most loyal widow ever!

Maybe she doth mourn overmuch for a reason? :rolleyes:

20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I don't think it was Prince Albert who was Queen Victoria's husband. It probably meant:

"Prince Albert Edward Wettin (1841-1910)
    Prince Albert became King Edward VII in 1901. He took the family name of his father, Prince Albert, and hence on his coronation the monarchy moved from the House of Hanover to the House of Wettin. In 1917 his son, George V, in an outburst of anti-German feelings engendered by the First World War, changed the name of his house and family from Wettin to Windsor. Victoria and Albert imposed a strict regime upon Edward; this had the opposite effort than the one Victoria and Albert had hoped for, and he rebelled constantly with indulgence in food, drink, women, gambling and sport. He married at the age of 22 to Princess Alexandra of Denmark. She turned a blind eye to his extramarital activities, which continued well into his sixties, despite the fact he was implicated in several divorce cases. He had six children in total -- Albert, George, Louise, Victoria, Maude and John. Maude went onto [sic] marry into the Norwegian royal family and became the Queen Consort of Norway."

http://www.pbs.org/empires/victoria/majesty/children.html

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    Bakersgma likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted