Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Marko, congrats on the necklace! Very pretty... It was meant to be. :)
    If you don't mind me asking. How do you test stones? I have no knowledge of jewelry, and lately I've been buying some. It's getting piled up, and I would like to be able to test some of the stones, but don't know how. I bought a cheap diamond tester over the weekend on eBay so I can try some of the clear stones.

2. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Ocean Gate is near Tom's River. I'm in Hainesport, mid state. Not really close to either but community sales near the shore can be a gold mine worth a bit of a drive. I've killed 'em more than once down Long Beach Island just looking for signs on the main drag down the island. Ocean City's town wide can be awesome too. My wife likes to go down there Friday, find a room, and get an early start to hittin' the Saturday morning sales down there. Last year we got some awesome stuff in OC.

3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I'm in Minnesota

Home of Lefse rollers, cracked crocks and kraut cutters for antiques

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Stunning find, Marko! I am firm believer that often there are 'treasures' left at sales or TS, regardless of the time of day. It seems that lately everyone is looking for something different or overlooking items, like that necklace.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  5. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I test stones using a Presidium gem tester. Hubby is tired of buying me jewelry (our 15th anniversary is tomorrow) but will buy me any tech stuff I want for gifts. However, it is not always going to tell you whether the stone is a lab-created specimen or genuine. Not sure about lab-created diamonds, CZs test as glass, and glass stones that look like rubies, emeralds, etc. will test as glass. I am pretty sure the garnet is genuine- I don't think they had the technology to do lab-created back then. The color is superb like the antique garnets, not too brown or orange, more wine red.

Yeah, I always make it a habit to stop. People at that garage sale cleaned out the vintage costume stuff, but I found a nice Czech ring that needed a catsup wash to remove verdigris from the brass setting, and I will post that pic soon.

Skeeziks, I never had luck in OC finding jewelry. I tend to find it in the oddest places. Margate usually has a funky community yard sale in May each year. One side has it one weekend, the other side of Jerome Ave. has it then next weekend.

I think I got Terry confused with Skeeziks, yikes! Sorry!

Skeeziks, you need to drive around the shore communities at the end of the season with a pick up truck. My sister just sold hundreds of dollars worth of furniture her friend picked up on the side of the road last year. And that's only the dining room chairs, she couldn't fit the tables in her car.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  6. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

roundsm.jpg badgesm.jpg Found three old Chinese embroidery pieces. Including a rank badge. I am not sure of the age, all three a very detailed.

Attached Files:

7. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

very nice trip!

8. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Thank you Marko:cat:

9. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The shore towns at the end of season also has wonderful bargins of regular stuff.
    One year I found a store that was selling all their Blenko for 5 bucks each. Unfortunately I was not into new glass but did admire all the colors and shapes. Must have had over a hundred pieces. Bought rayon Hawaiian shirts for a buck apiece. Sold the ones I did not want for 15 each. September is my favorite month at the shore. The crowds are gone, the weather is still great and the bargins. Cape May is still expensive all year since it is a tourist draw. Stone Harbor, Sea Isle City has the best bargins and sales.
    greg

10. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Nice finds everyone!

Trip,

All three pieces are Chinese as you know, dating to the late-Qing Dynasty (late-19th C.). The best piece being the rank badge, of the 4th rank, civil official, wild goose. Probably worth in the low three-figures. The other two IMO, you should lot and sell together. Not sure of their value.

11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice finds everyone.
    I need to figure out how to post pics here. Will read thru and see if I can get it to work.

12. pearlsnblume

DSCF0001.jpg DSCF0020.jpg
    I found this a few weeks ago, if anyone has any ideas as to who made or or what it is used for, or any info I would love some input and thanks

It has a hole at the top, the mouth is open, so maybe an ashtray? It may be brass. No markings on this.

Thanks!
    :)

mymysharona43 and afantiques like this.
  13. 'Nuff_Said

My guess would be: Chinese or Japanese, 20th C., incense burner/censer, in the form of a carp.

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

No idea about the object but really nice sharp clear pictures.

15. pearlsnblume

Thanks much for your responses.
    I saw some similar ones that were attributed to Walter Bosse but I can't find an exact match to mine anywhere so I will continue to do more research.

I struggle with photo's so much so you have made by day by saying they are nice and clear. :)

16. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

17. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Thanks JPG-Nuf! I found a great site that details rank badges and I came up with about the same results you did. I wasn't sure of the type of bird and the gold metallic background could of dated it to be an earlier piece.

BTW Awhile back you posted on the antique board a small ceramic box (with a unglazed face on top) that I wanted to respond too, but I couldn't find it the section again. The box, looked like a made in Japan, Mid 20th century, design by Alfred Knobler in the style of the popular Gustavsberg line by Lisa Larson

18. 'Nuff_Said

Trip,

You are most welcome. I had the same type badge (4th rank) not to long ago and it sold in the low three-figures. Your piece IMO is a much, much better example and should do well. Your other two pieces appear to be pieces taken from a robe or the like......not 100% sure.

I recall that box, thanks for the info.

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love the Chinese embroidery pieces and that fish!!!!

I still get very good end of season prices on costume and sterling in the shore towns, esp. the ones with boardwalks.

20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Not so much as a find, but a recent purchase -- paid way too much, but they will complement my growing collection of porcelain-related brooches. The red one is 1.5" in diameter and the blue one is 2.75". Both are arts & crafts and I only cleaned with a little dishwash soap and water. I think the blue one is pewter, but suspect that the red one is silver (and I want to make it shiny, ;) ) even though it's not marked. Not such great craftsmanship on either, but the porcelain cabuchons/disks are nice -- can't tell if Ruskin or not, but certainly Ruskin-like.

upload_2014-8-6_11-51-21.jpeg

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted