Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a happy horse..! :)

KingofThings likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Agreed - nice horse. The poor lady must have been awfully cold.

KingofThings likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

ken2.jpg
    I found this neat tool collection today. About half have patent dates, all of which are in the 1800s. They are various makers. I think this box was probably made by the original owner. A few of the tools were probably hand made by him too.
    ken1.jpg
    The protractor by 'P Kennelly' does not exist on the inner webs except for the entries acknowledging his patent. It is truly rare. But the collectors only go for common stuff like Stanley, Starrett and Miller Falls, which you can readily find hundreds or thousands of any given piece they made.

4. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

That lady with the horse is "Cathy the Not-So-Great" (a wannabe who tried to capitalize on a certain myth about that other Catherine). ;)

cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  5. yourturntoloveit

Another book I bought at an estate sale yesterday is the hardcover book Three Bricks and Three Brothers by Will Gardner (The Story of the Nantucket Whale-Oil Merchant Joseph Starbuck) "Second Impression November 1945" published by Houghton Mifflin Company Boston The Riverside Press Cambridge.

Here are some photos of what was written inside the front of the book --

geneology book 010 (2).jpg geneology book 013 (2).jpg geneology book 016 (2).jpg Geneology Book 018.jpg

Obviously members of the Starbuck family were interested in this book. I feel somewhat guilty that it didn't stay in the family.

6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Nice!

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Interesting, Yourturn!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. yourturntoloveit

Another observation about the first photo -- the back of that slip of [almost onionskin] paper stapled to first cover page shows in typeset print that it was removed from "Page 735 The End of the Old Testament."

How important must it have been to have a slip of paper to write those names on that someone would use the last page of the Old Testament in a bible?

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love car boot sales. Today i found a packet of replacement blades for my elderly Flymo mower for a quid. And then, a bottle of Famous Grouse and another of Glenfiddich. Unopened. Five quid each. ;)

There was some antique tat too, but more later on that.

10. komokwa

Wait a minute.......you have a Flymo mower ?? :eek::eek:

Remember the pics of my garage.....well at the very back , underneath everything else, is my early 80's electric flymo !!!

I can't even find a photo on the web of my model but I remember the logo all to well as I'd try to walk it over my little lawn that was so bumpy it never really cut the grass well , so into storage it went.
    At that time I think I was one of only a handful of folks who had one....here anyways !!

Thanks for the memory Owned !!!

[​IMG]

KingofThings and cxgirl like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

I have a very small lawn and yes, my trusty Flymo Compact does it well! I think I bought mie in about 1997 or so. Cost all of 45 dollars new, so it's been a good deal. ;)

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

BTW....who gives away good scotch ???
    That's a find and a half !!!! ;);)

KingofThings likes this.
  13. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Some recent finds:

Nashville TN whiskey jug - too bad the handle is broken off, but will still probably appeal to some - have done a lot of searching and have not found another with this name on it.
    ratt1.JPG ratt2.JPG
    Nice butter crock with eagle.
    eagc1.JPG
    Weird midcentury animal, signed Bryan 66, for Lloyd Bryan. I think it's chalkware with a heavy pottery like finish. It's big, about 13 x13.
    bryan1.JPG

14K watermelon tourmaline necklace
    wtb1b.JPG

Various costume jewelry.
    bib1.JPG fdss3.JPG fdss4.JPG

Cool cats.
    fdss1.JPG Opalescent vases - can't give these away lately, yet I persist in buying them...
    fdss2.JPG

14. komokwa

love the 14k butterfly !!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  15. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I love the butter crock!
    And the two sash pins are nothing to sneeze at either!

KingofThings likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The ginkgo leaf brooch with the pink stone is killer. Might be English arts and crafts pewter with a Ruskin stone. Any marks?

Those mod dangle earrings are pretty cool too.

17. Ownedbybear

Oh, I was rather pleased. I love scotch!

KingofThings likes this.
  18. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Brad, there is a mark on the pin that I had not noticed, WB in a diamond, I'll have to look into it before listing. It does not appear to be pewter, it has a gold-ish finish. I also love the earrings, probably the least valuable thing here, and one of my favorites.

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Love the two cats, especially with them sitting next to each other!

KingofThings likes this.
  20. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Opalescent vases - can't give these away lately, yet I persist in buying them...

Your vases were made by Fenton for Weil Ceramics & Glass c.1940s. The pattern is Spiral Optic French Opalescent & id number 4516.

Peggy

trip98 and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted