Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

A few of my recent finds. The bangle is 14K, dented, but good for scrap. The tiki cup may be a desirable one with some good value, I'm still researching - It is from Ren Clark's Polynesian Village Fort Worth Texas. The rhinestone pin is Weiss, not huge value, but really beautiful stones. The cloisonne geisha statues are not too old, but still salable. And the necklace is unmarked, sterling turquoise, pretty nice piece. finds.JPG

Pat P, Figtree3 and quirkygirl like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That necklace is probably Navajo; I can see the bench beads from here. I'd love a closer look at the bangle; it may be better than scrap. If it's an old one I would rather wear it than melt it. The damage can actually enhance some of the old ones, in a way; it shows a piece has been there and done that.

3. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

The bracelet has 3 pretty good size dents. Still wearable, but not my style, and I would not want to sell something with that much damage on-line. The engraved design is pretty, but to me, nothing special. finds2.JPG

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

While the necklace , Navajo, is not crazy wonderful, there should be an artist mark on the backing of one of the stones which may add value.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

6. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

No marks on the necklace. The tiki is from a Polynesian restaurant located in Texas. It's from the 60s.

7. komokwa

No marks ?
    That's unusual....

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The good stuff often isn't marked at all. Older pieces never were. The bracelet is kind of beat up isn't it, and that kind is a really expensive repair if repaired it can be.

9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I find quite a bit of gold and sterling unmarked. Great finds! I am terrible, I can't bring myself to part with or scrap any sterling or gold. I just put it in my safety deposit box for a rainy day. I would like to take a trip to Hawaii and one to Europe....

Anyway, I was at an eclectic shop that is part antiques, part thrift shop and the owner tells me that his wife and her friend are running an estate sale at the next town over. I checked it out online that morning, nothing interested me. He said there was tons of jewelry. I knew what kinds there were from the on-line pics- junky stuff. So I said what the heck and hubby and I drove over. It was the end of the second day, everything half-priced. This little pin was all dirty and I was ready to by pass it, but I flipped it over to see if it was at least gold-filled.

cxgirl likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

11. komokwa

I don't see this necklace as being pre WW2, when the guilds were set up.

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

And this is the chair I bought for $20. I got two defective sets of furniture from a local family-owned business and they refused to refund my money until I took them to the Division of Consumer Affairs. So two sets were returned and I was sitting on an office chair until I bought this. I will update the story with what replaced the chair soon. I just want to warn everybody that today's furniture is very poorly made, from the low density foam cushions, the shoddy frames, and the unbelievably poor fabric. While companies say they manufacture the furniture in the USA, a lot is put together and China and finished here. I am sorry I got rid of my 15 year-old set.

13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

And I keep forgetting to post pictures. Barrel Chair (539x640).jpg

14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The pin was $2.

Pat P likes this.
  15. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have mostly been buying junk furniture to paint and sell. I will show some of that over in the "Tales" thread as I get it done. Otherwise, there are few things to show here. Few antiques but some fun and salable stuff. All are thrift store finds unless indicated otherwise.

This pair of MCM copper panther pics were $5.75 each. They are signed MarKo (Note the capital K). The only thing I could find was a pair of similar Spanish motif ones on ebay for $300.00. I priced mine $150.00 in the store and will probably end up bringing them home in the long run. I will really be surprised if my market shows any appreciation for them.

stuff1112.jpg

This wrought iron floor lamp was $10.00. I had the shade and thought it looked pretty good on it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is much appreciation of the Lodge-look here.

stuff1115.jpg stuff1115a.jpg

This chrome industrial looking desk lamp is pretty new. Bought for $7.00.
    stuff1116.jpg

The Eiffel Tower lamp was $3.75. I had the shade and put it on it. I might have paid about $2.00 for the shade at some point.
    stuff1117.jpg

This lighted Jesus pic was $3.00.
    stuff1118.jpg

These bird houses were crafted by a retired man and donated to the thrift. I paid just under $10.00 for them all since they had been marked to half price. The face one was unpainted so I sprayed it in three colors. I added accent color to a couple others. Kind of late season for these but couldn't pass them by.
    stuff1119.jpg

cxgirl likes this.
  16. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

More stuff.......

These copper acid etched and hammered pictures are from the North of Chile and depict local indigenous motifs. They were marked $2.75 each but I got them at half price mark down. This should tell me that the local market has no appreciation for them but I liked them and couldn't pass them by. Hopefully, someone else will like them.
    stuff1120.jpg

These arts and crafts period oak chairs were $75.00. I think they are likely English. I didn't have to do a thing to them.
    stuff1121.jpg

These 3 pieces of jewelry were $5.00. The bangle is Mexican sterling. The heart pin is unmarked but may also be sterling. The pin is costume but the stones are interesting. They are an opalescent blue with a bit of fire to them.
    stuff1124.jpg

This is typical green band Jackson restaurant ware plate but it has the logo as shown. I found that Camp Cheboygan was a Boy's summer camp that operated from 1920 to about 1937 outside Grand Haven MI. Bought for 50 cents.
    stuff1125.jpg

These three acid etched shades were $2.25 for all.
    stuff1126.jpg

This large art deco shade was something I traded another dealer for. She had it priced $145.00. I gave her $20.00 cash and a painting I had priced at $125.00 for it. I think I had about $10.00 in the painting. I have a period art deco chrome fixture that I probably paid no more than $15.00 for that will go perfect with it. Should bring a very good return on my investment on ebay.
    stuff1127.jpg

cxgirl, Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  17. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Nice stuff, Brad. I particularly like the copper pictures.

18. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Oh those chairs!!! :jawdrop:

Nice finds, Brad.

19. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Love the copper panther pics, especially the way they are framed. Nice find on the little gold bow pin.

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I remember when I did those copper panther pictures, in my wayward youth.

Nice finds, Brad, loving the oak chairs especially!

Draft saved Draft deleted