Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

What an odd day. Schlepped to one car boot sale, in the drizzle, hardly any cars. So, went to the farther town, NO cars at all - it was their festival day! So, schlepped back to orignal damp field, where luckily, more had shown up. And I actually got some good stuff.

Best was a whole bunch of jewellery and other tchotchkes, most of which I am keeping. Oops. Well, it did include a Dior brooch which cost all of seventy cents. Much to the chagrin of the fellow bling buyer - we were being very polite to each other, and she handed it over to me, before realising what it was! I'd have bought it anyway.

124B.jpg 124C.jpg

trip98, cxgirl and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Yes, there's a pearl missing, but I'll find one.

These were the other two odd bits. Grabbed these boxes for abour six dollars because I like boxes. I then googled the maker and nearly had a heart attack at the prices!

128A.jpg 128B.jpg 128C.jpg 129A.jpg 129B.jpg 129C.jpg

3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

Wow, nice score on those boxes! I love the pattern on that first one.

4. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Love those boxes, Bear!

5. Ownedbybear

I love them too, which is probably not conducive to selling the things. ;)

The first one is coconut shell inlaid in whatever the base wood is. They seem to call the second shagreen - it isn't, but it sort of describes the effect.

6. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

I'd find it hard to part with them, too. :)

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd have jumped on those too. Boxes follow me home, especially Lane mini cedar chests. Most of them have lost their keys but whatever. They're common enough that I can paint the tops with impunity. Went back to one sale today after church. Spent $20 on random stuff. Nothing earth shattering that I know of.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

This is the Westmoreland version of this compote (can't think of the name). It's marked in the glass in the bowl and under the lid, and it still has its foil label. The cold paint is nicely done and in excellent condition. Is it Charelton Rose?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

weird not what i posted!

10. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

okay try again. two oil painting- free -saved from trash! brought home thinking daughter could use the canvas for her art when she visits. But actually signed, listed artistRussellTwiggs DSC_0288.JPG 1891-1991. From his black period.

cxgirl and Mill Cove Treasures like this.
  11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That's a pleasant surprise.

12. evelyb30

Gotta like it when that happens. I went to a senior facility today, to find they'd put out a pile of jewelry. $75 later I got out the door. The scrapper gave me $90 for three pair of earrings whose only recommendation was their gold content - I'd take that ROI on an investment account any time, and that's not including the gold pins I didn't scrap, or the sterling Zuni earrings, or the other stuff. These pins are 14k; I'm not sure about the earrings. 101_0058.JPG

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Eve...I have to ask....please expand on " seniors facility" ??
    Is this an old folks home where they're selling off their old jewelry , not knowing, or remembering that it has any value ??

cxgirl likes this.
  14. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Gold is such bonus. Nice going.

15. evelyb30

It's an over-55 housing community with nursing home facilities in the same area. The lady who runs the shop is pretty sharp; I can only assume she didn't look or didn't care. The funny part is they had $10 on some gold-filled rings. I had so much I had to leave most of the sterling behind or sold other customers on it. I got Russian amber too, one piece with the tag still attached. 101_0060.JPG

16. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

0619 driver 010.jpg
    It's been a slim couple weeks

then I found an OK watch

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Is it just me or did someone put the face in 90 degrees to the right ??? :eek:

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  18. evelyb30

I had an experience today. At my last stop, a teacher sang a snatch of a song and I finished the line for him. Then sang the rest of it. Greensleeves. He pulled a stuffed toy music box out of his pile and gifted it to me because he liked my voice. What the heck I'm going to do with it...dunno.(LOL)

19. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

What a nice experience, Evelyb! Picturing it made me smile. :)

20. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Just trying to go thru all the finds here.
    Just wonderful folks.
    :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted