Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Me too.(LOL) I like $300 necklaces just fine, no matter how gaudy they are.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

My local auction does 300 lots in under two hours, so you have to get there early!

I've got that necklace. And very similar AB earrings.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  3. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

300 lots in 2 hours? Wow, that must move quickly.

Is the necklace D&E?

4. Ownedbybear

He tends to know who buys what. Mind you, many auctions over here seem to zoom. ;) The only time it slows is if he has lots of no reserve stuff.

I dunno who did my necklace, I bought it in a job lot! I shall go hunt it out.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

All the Indian , ethnographic, or triblal auctions I follow or have ever been to start out with a few nice items and then BANG !! , they throw out the prize items everyone is there for.
    The last 50 to 75 items are always box lots , books, or dribs and drabs .
    Not that you can't score a prize at the end ......cuz the room's now 3/4 empty !

yourturntoloveit and tie.dye.cat like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I went to one auction that ended early... when the police showed up! You never saw a room empty so fast. And the auctioneer up front pleading, "I swear, none of it's hot!"

cxgirl and tie.dye.cat like this.
  7. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] A guy in line this morning pointed out this on craigslist

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:D Was there anything interesting on the table or were you just killing time?

9. Salvatorparadise

Salvatorparadise Active Member

bought this chair today. haven't gotten it in hand yet, so hoping it's old old. local auction house that I normally attend but couldn't get there today so bid online.

chair1.jpg chair1.jpg

10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

11. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I know I didn't buy anything there

12. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I got this bracelet and brooch combo. Both are stamped Italy.

[​IMG]

13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Pretty chair. Hope it's as good as it looks. I went out at 7 this morning and shouldn't have bothered. The sale I left that early to find was a church tag sale ... spent four dollars on nothing old. I did pick up a 1959 ordinance map for a friend; that was half of it. Not worth much more than I paid, probably, but he'll like it. I did score a meerschaum necklace later on, but the rest was a waste of gasoline. (sigh)

Mill Cove Treasures likes this.
  14. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

That is lovely moreotherstuff! I love micromosiac jewelry. :)

15. Joe

Joe New Member

16. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I *think* that while the bracelet & earrings are "mosaic", they are not micro mosaic.
    Micro uses the teeniest, tiniest, pieces - some no bigger that the head of a pin.
    These are bordering on pietra dura.

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  17. Ownedbybear

Messi, they do tend to get described as such, although I agree "real" micro mosaic is minute. (Made by nuns in Florence and Rome in the 19th C to raise funds!) That set looks 50s or 60s.

Pat P likes this.
  18. Joe

Joe New Member

19. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Sal,that chair is lovely ! Are you thinking its English ? Roccoco ?

20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

Couple of things, the "FINDS" thread is not for questions per say, it is a place to post items already purchased.

There are general categories where we post questions, "antiques", "art", etc.

For now, I can give you a suggestion. Look this up on Ebay to see comparables. Type in: "Erector, 100 toys in one" in the Ebay search engine and you will see several of these. If you refine your search to "sold" you will see what they actually sold for. Prices seem to reflect condition of the box and how complete the contents are.

Best of luck.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted