Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Still beautiful! I think this ring may be platinum, I am taking it to my jeweler today.... I didn't think platinum would wear like the sides of this ring, but the metal doesn't have the patina of gold.....I did test it with platinum acid on the testing stone, it didn't wear off.

Here's a picture of my dollar rosary from the shop where the guy yelled at me:

DSCF3248 (480x457).jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Nuff_said, that badge looks very interesting!
    MMSharona I love that rocker!
    Marko that ring is gorgeous!
    Hot weather and few people out so I picked up a few goodies - I think this is a control panel from a motor boat, some snowshoes and 2 Swarovski Christmas crystals with boxes and stands.
    Mary
    DSC06344.jpg DSC06346.jpg DSC06046.jpg

3. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I love the booties with the snowshoes! :beaver:

4. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Love that little chair, Sharona! Very nice bowl digger and a very interesting boat piece cxgirl.

5. 'Nuff_Said

Got this old Persian(?) silk rug today, I know nothing about it. Hopefully the folks here can kindly help ID it.

PERSIAN RUG 001-001.JPG

6. 'Nuff_Said

These I call......."picking the pickers".

The first two are internet buys, misidentified and/or unresearched by the sellers. The last was a "busman's holiday" buy from an antique's mall. This too was mis-ID'ed and/or not thoroughly researched by the owners of the mall who said they've been in the trade for 40+ years and are "certified appraisers". They had it ID'ed as 19th C. Chinese, but it's not. After a bit of negotiation, we were able to purchase it for about 60% of their original asking price. The image is from my iPhone as I seen it sitting within the mall.

19th C. Chinese carved ivory dragon vase.

Late-Meiji or early-Taisho Period Japanese mixed materials (woven bamboo, rattan, bronze, copper, lacquer and gilt) small ikebana vase with applied grape vines and insects.

19th C. Japanese vase in a "Chinese-style" by master and most noted potter of the Meiji Period: 'Miyagawa (Makuzu) Kozan (Japan, 1842 - 1916)'.

IVORY VASE 003-001.jpg

IKEBANA.jpg

DRAGON 003-001.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Love that red and blue! He made some pretty nice stuff....

8. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Sharona! He sure did.

That vase was probably the best and most valuable piece they had in their "Oriental" section of the shop. How such experienced folks in the trade certified to be appraisers make such a big mistake boggles my mind. But it happens. Happens more often than not I'm afraid.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  9. 'Nuff_Said

mymysharona43 likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

That ivory vase is stunning!

11. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you, Marko!

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Love the vases, 'Nuff!

13. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

I stopped by a TS I always drive by when going to the docs office - I was determined to go in this time. This chain has several locations in our State and I will check the ones I can out and will now make a bigger effort to go back to this one. I loaded up my cart with 3-bags worth and several items too big for bags - the total was under $20.00 for all. I overheard 'regulars' who were very annoyed by me, they don't see 'pickers' in their store very often someone said. I figured that out quickly.

This is basic bread and butter stuff, but I paid $3.93 for eight Royal Doulton mugs with the tag - looks like they sell for 18.00 or so apiece. That is still a nice profit any day.

[​IMG]

Portmeirion Baker was $2.92.

[​IMG]

I'll ask about these glasses later. $2.82/4.

[​IMG]

I really wanted to get to my favorite TS before they close (limited hours). I was there four days ago and did really well and did not expect to find much. Wrong.

Vintage Aladdin Oil Glass Lamp Base was $9.00 - has all parts and appears to be in very good condition.

[​IMG]

I have never posted about Jewelry on any Finds board, but I almost jumped out of my skin when I saw this. Beautiful Bakelite Alligator pin - missing a metal eye and the back metal pin is bent slightly, but it is a stunner. You can smell the bakelite strongly. Comparable pieces are priced between 125 - 350.00, so I need to do more research. Paid $4.00.

[​IMG]

Finally, this item I feel like 'Nuff Said' - I need to get outside help on this piece. When I brought it to the counter, I was swarmed by a multitude of customers and staff - 'how could someone donate this' and 'how could we let this get on the floor' (I thought that of the alligator too, but they had no clue about that). It is a vintage collection of precious stones, rocks and fossils (including Jade, Gold Ore and countless others - there are about 125 samples - all complete). This is a one-of-a-kind collection, created by a Professor and given to a school in 1975. I know nothing really about rocks or precious stones and fossils, but the little research I've done I have priced a less comparable collection at over $300.00. I have a feeling this is more valuable than that, but we will see. I'll post more when I know more.

[​IMG]

Cory
    Funkey

tie.dye.cat likes this.
  14. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Great finds. love the oil lamp and the alligator.
    greg

15. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Yeah, the 'gator pin is way cool. The rocks are cool too. Does the gold ore show color?

16. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Cory, great stuff... and your photos are wonderful!

17. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Portmeirion botanical pieces seem to sell well -- I've found a couple of pieces at yard sales, and then tried to buy some online and was surprised by what some of them go for. This was for some of the items made in the 1970s. And I like yours, too!

18. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

FunkeysFinds likes this.
  19. FunkeysFinds

FunkeysFinds Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the comments! I have usually shied away from posting my finds, but will contribute more. I know they are enjoyable to see.

@ Mary - many thanks for the lamp ID! :happy: Your finds are always inspiring on the boards, btw.

@ Skeekix - the gold ore piece does have some color. I had forgotten that there is an old presentation piece of paper on back that talks about the elements of the stones, the presenter and who they are being presented too. It doesn't go into any detail about the stones, fossils or minerals themselves.

@Figtree3, Greg and Pat Parker - :joyful:

20. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think you are being rather optimistic on the rock specimens, but still a good buy at $10.

Draft saved Draft deleted