Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

((Thud)) That's the mother lode of jools to be sure. And that blue enamel humidor is gorgeous. ...and the nanny pin is seriously cool.

'Nuff_Said likes this.
  2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Ewww that pin! sooo cool, nice finds

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

These, I think, are about the most timely and appropriate things I've found in a while.

501A.jpg

mymysharona43, Bakersgma and cxgirl like this.
  4. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

5. Ownedbybear

Thank you kindly - yes, I saw that ad. German made, I doubt, somehow. ;)

6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

'Nuff, your collection of "jools" looks like hours and hours of fun. That blue humidor is just breathtakingly (that's a word, right?) beautiful (as is so much of the stuff you share!)

'Nuff_Said likes this.
  7. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Nuff, I would not call this Sancai. Maybe a term like "Fahua" will be more appropriate. Did you take it apart? Those are usually stamped 'China' and some bears the potters seal.

8. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

@Sharona, CX, Eve and Quirky....thank you all so much for your kind compliments. And yes Quirky, breathtakingly is a word. ;):)

@Kard, "Fahua" would be appropriate if it had the more prominent blue, turquoise, purple, green, yellow and white associated with that particular glaze, but in my vase's case, I only see "three glazes". Yes, it was taken apart and the metal fixtures discarded. The base is incised CHINA with no maker's seal.

9. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Interesting Chinese scroll. My guess would be 20th C.(?) ink and color on paper. Too large to capture the entire image. $10...

SCROLL 001-002.JPG

mymysharona43 likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Great stuff, everybody! I love goldstone jewelry.

Here is a tidbit I got at an antique dealer's yard sale the end of the last day. I have to work on Fridays, she said she had TONS of jewels that day. This is a segment of cherry amber bakelite with French galalith beads, My goal is to rebead it with some modern beads and make a necklace and earring set.

Cherry Amber 2 (366x640).jpg

Cherry Amber 1 (525x640).jpg

11. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

I've had a few pieces of Fantoni pottery but I've never seen his brutalist copper before today.
    P1010002.JPG
    P1010007.JPG

12. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Very cool anundverkaufen. LOVE

anundverkaufen likes this.
  13. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Quirk,
    Wonderful finds. The Lalique even with the flake will sell. Love the frames.
    greg

quirkygirl likes this.
  14. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

No pictures, but I found a first edition, first printing of Atlas Shrugged the other day with dust cover. The dust cover has a few tears, and the first page in the book is creased but still a good find.

15. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Good book, Book :D!
    Back in college when I was taking a course in technical writing for engineers, our instructor sort of had a melt-down one day ... called us (the class as a whole) "bourgeois" and strongly suggested we all read Atlas Shrugged before we enter the world of adults.

I can't say that her assessment of us was 100% correct .... but it turned out to be an interesting, enlightening book.

cxgirl likes this.
  16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

My best friend in high school was obsessed with Ayn Rand and would quote portions of Atlas Shrugged at the drop of a hat. I read it as well as Fountainhead and remember being duly impressed and a bit boggled.

Hope it's a winner!

17. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

cxgirl, I love, love, love the "nanny brooch" (both concept and execution)!!!

cxgirl likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

A few trifles:

Miniature Doulton Lambeth Silicon Ware vase, late 19th C, dollar fifty. A Monet enamel bracelet, slightly battered but worth three dollars to me. A Beatrix Christmas Tree brooch, all of 75 cents. And a very handsome bracelet which is moonstone, citrine and amethyst. Probably glass ones, but all the same, I like it.

601A.jpg 602A.jpg 603A.jpg 604B.jpg

mymysharona43 and Bakersgma like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Oh, I forgot these. Pair of 19th C Stourbridge made salts, cranberry glass with rigaree trails. The charity shop knew not what they were. I did. ;)

605A.jpg

20. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Bear, I love both bracelets!

Draft saved Draft deleted