Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Another yard sale find purchased for a song w/original case, bag and receipt...

GLASSES 001-001.JPG

2. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Greg...Tom's River looks like good foraging territory. Always lots of sales around there including some outrageous Estate sale listings now and then. Just a little beyond my range but every now and then I'm tempted to head down that way for a really juicy sale ad. Egg Harbor is another town that seems top heavy with sales but that's way to far for me.

Marko...where's your primary hunting grounds? If ya don't wanna be too specific I understand :cool:.

3. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Don, is that area a "big money" area? I mean, down here most of the really good antiques are in very wealthy neighborhoods. But it seems up North, everyone's got a little cache of antiques in their attics regardless of economic status. Is that right?

4. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

Ooohhh, very nice jpeg!:)

5. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Nothing wildly exciting yesterday, but these aren't bad: the music box is Sorrento Ware, the umbrella stand is cast iron and the miniature dresser looks scratch built to me.

401A.jpg 401B.jpg 403A.jpg 403B.jpg 406A.jpg

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Cute miniature, Owned! Are those teensy tiny cup hooks on the shelf fronts? :watching:

Beautiful finds, 'Nuff! And what a haul, Marko! :greedy:

8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Yup, little cup hooks. It's bigger than it looks in the photo: about eighteen inches. Someone will like it, I suspect.

None of that lot cost more than ten bucks, anyhow. ;)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Wow, r u on a roll !!!
    I'm impressed !

10. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Here are my four favorite books for my own reading pleasure (out of the 45 books purchased at the charitable book sale this past Saturday).

Stuff and Nonsense (and so on), by Walter de la Mare with woodcuts by Bold, Henry Holt & Company, copyright 1927 (printed June 1927), hardcover, 111 pp. (The poems are amusing, the woodcuts are wonderful.)

Travels with a Donkey in the Cevennes (and) An Inland Voyage, by Robert Louis Stevenson, Thomas Nelson and Sons Ltd, (no date), hardcover, 299 pp.

The Works of Bret Harte ("Argonaut Edition"), Vol. XXV, P. F. Collier and Son, New York (no date), hardcover, 358 numbered pages containing four different stories.

Old Wives for New (a Novel)
    , by David Graham Phillips, D. Appleton and Company (1908), hardcover, 495 pp.

cxgirl and mymysharona43 like this.
  11. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

I went to a sale yesterday and I shouldn't buy books but hate to pass them by either. I know nothing about them. A lady was hoovered over them picking out all the oldies so on my way....That little cabinet is cute the detail is really cute! and the umbrella stand is way more detailed than most
    Nuff is on a roll year round lol

12. mymysharona43

That looks like another quality one....hmmm

13. mymysharona43

Few finds for all the hunting here
    Little Chinese vase 50 cents
    2 old oil lamps, 12 for both, they seemed to have tanked out like many oldies
    Black bowl for a buck
    Pilgrim stool for 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I've been blowing off the closest thrift store due to lack of finds in recent times. I was going by on the way home from UPS so stopped in. I picked up three items for $1.49 each. There were 3 small martini type pewter stems that were all bent up but no price. Girl at the counter asks for price check. The guy loupes em and says "pewter, $4.49 each". As if.

The other 3 items were OK.
    0427 etruscan 015a.jpg 0427 etruscan 024b.jpg

15. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

mysharon, the lamp on the left with the stained font. is Kings Crown. It is pictured in Thuro's Oil Lamps I, Section: "United States Glass Company," p. 310, fig. b. Here is what is said about it:

"The Hobbs Glass Company advertised screw sockets like those on (a) and (b) just before they joined the United States Glass Co. in 1891."
    "Kings Crown (b) is shown in the circa 1893 catalogue in several sizes of footed and stand lamps. This pattern was originally made by Adams & Company."

So far haven't found the 2nd lamp. Am still looking.

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  16. Ladybranch

Sharon, found the 2nd lamp, the one on the right. It is Teardrop with Eyewinker with Plume Font. The stem is Teardrop with Eyewinker. It is pictured in Thuro's Oil Lamps I, Section: "Findlay Lamps," fig. d. Here is what is said about it:

"... Eyewinker with a plain font (c) or Plume Font (d) were made on a semi-automatic machine. According to Smith, Phillip Ebling, foreman of the Dalzell mold shop patented a lamp-making machine in 1899. Lamps made on this machine are of one piece with the inside of the font extending down into the stem."

According to the 1st page of the "Findlay Lamps" section, this lamp as well as all of them in this section were made in Southwestern Ontario and are "well documented in the book Findlay Glass Patterns by Don Smith." It goes on and says "...all lamps in this section are in patterns made by the Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton Co."

Here are a few online:
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/findley-teardrop-eyewinker-plume-font-oil
    3rd paragraph down:
    http://gristmillanalytics.com/nightlightclub/
    http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/findlay-plume-teardrop-eyewinker-lamp

BTW, if yours has the same collar as the one in the 3rd link above, it has an Ebling collar. These collars were common from c1890s to 1910 and probably later. According the Thuro:

"These are described in an advertisement by Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton Co. of Findlay, Ohio, as 'Patent, Improved, Shrunk-on Collars' and claimed 'No Plaster, No Cement, No Leaky Lamps, No Weak Lamps, No Complaints.' In Findlay Pattern Glass, by Don Smith, this collar is said to have been patented by Phillip Ebling of the Dalzell, Gilmore and Leighton Companp, Findlay, Ohio, and first used in May, 1894."

--- Susan

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Lucille.b and mymysharona43 like this.
  17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Since you're into lamps tonight,
    0426 lamp 002.jpg

Lucille.b and yourturntoloveit like this.
  18. mymysharona43

Golly molly your good! thanks a million off to look at oil lamps lol
    Neat base Terry

19. Ladybranch

Terry, this is a footed hand lamp in the "Ruffled Bullseye" pattern. It is also listed/pictured in Thuro's Oil Lamps I, Section: "Lamps 1900-," page 304, fig. b. as a stand lamp. Here's what it says:

"All the stand lamps on this and the opposite page are the so-called 'one piece' lamps made on an automatic machine. ... The Ruffled Bullseye (b) and ...(c) and.... (d), have the collars that place their date of manufacture after 1910."

The manufacturer isn't given soooo suspect isn't know for the pattern may have been manufactured by more than one company. As to the the collar, it is a brass insert collar. Here's what Thuro says about these collars on p. 40:

"... consists of a threaded brass inset inside the glass lamp collar. The glass [maybe] embossed Sept. 19 and Nov. 14, 1911.

"These collars are usually seen on a one piece machine-made lamps. The chief disadvantage of this type of collar is the fact that the lamp is useless if the thread becomes stripped. This is not too serious if the lamp is very inexpensive, but it may be a consideration in the purchase ...."

--- Susan

Lucille.b and terry5732 like this.
  20. Ladybranch

>thanks a million<

You're quite welcome. That "Kings Crown" is different from most lamps with that pattern. Most oil lamps called "Kings Crown" have the font in the Kings Crown pattern also. Only the stem of your lamp is KC. I really don't know what to call the font. It is plain yet has almost a dog tooth shoulder. The collar looks like a Miller oval band collar. It was advertised by the Edward Miller & Co in the 1890s. Does it look like the collar on the following lamp?

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1890-hobbs-opalescent-white-snowflake-470987093

--- Susan

Draft saved Draft deleted