Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thx!

Yup, here you go...

CHAIR MARKS.JPG

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Okay folks, don't fall out of your seats but . . . this is my first (I believe) post on the Finds Thread. The following were gleaned from a total of two estate sales. They are all books, but just take a look at the wide range of subjects and publication dates (5 hardback and 2 softback). Total expenditure was $7 and, yes, they are all in good to very good (the two newer ones being in "excellent") condition.

And by the way, does anyone here collect communion tokens????

Communion Tokens (Their Origin, History and Use) by Mary McWhorter Tenney, Zondervan Publishing House, Grand Rapids, Michigan 1936. (hardcover with dust jacket), illustrated with several full-page plates, 195 numbered pages plus 9 index pages).

Communion Tokens of the United States by Autence A. Bason, no date, self-published(?), softcover, illustrated, 113 numbered pages, autographed on title page by the author in blue ink cursive handwriting to a particular person. Loose inside the book was a 9-page "Price List #7 of Communion Tokens" (but no date for the list).

Maryland, ["American Commonwealths" series], Houghton, Mifflin and Co. (Riverside Press, Cambridge) 1904, by William Hand Browne. ("Library Rv. [that is not a typo on my part] David C. White" stamped inside front cover), 381 pp (hardcover).

Walls Have Ears (including "The Stockade Story" and "Samuel Fuller, Master Builder of the Mohawk") by Giles Yates van der Bogert, drawings by Werner L. Feibes, copyright 1966 by the Stockade Association, 113 pp (hardcover). This book is about Schenectady, New York.

A Queen's Progress (An introduction to the buildings associated with Mary Queen of Scots in the care of the Secretary of State for Scotland), David J. Breeze, 1987, softcover, illustrated with photographs, 80 pp.

Standing in the Sunshine (A History of New Zealand Women Since They Won the Vote) by Sandra Coney, 1993, illustrated, Viking Penguin Books (NZ) Limited, 332 numbered pages which includes "References" and "Index" (hardcover with dust jacket).

The World's One Hundred Best Short Stories [in ten volumes], Grant Overton Editor-in-Chief, Volume Two Romance, Funk & Wagnalls Company, New York and London, 1927, 280 pp. (hardcover).

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  3. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Cool finds everyone good to see every one shopping. love the belt buckle and that green bottle is neat, nice painting, well good value:D
    I had one of those little chairs some years ago, their pretty popular, you don't see them very often
    Good to see you shopping Messi and Bev I join the crowd loving that cup & saucer

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

some lucky kid got to sit in that chair...

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Those little chairs pop up from time to time and always seem to do well.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I don't think that ring is tigers eye. Too pale, doesn't have the sort of irridescent veil to it. Can you do a close up of the stone?

7. 'Nuff_Said

We purchased a nice large lot of "costume jewelry" today for $50. Below are the precious metals we found within and separated.

At left is the sterling silver, including a nice pair of vintage Georg Jensen earrings. At right is the gold (white & yellow....18kt, 14kt & 9kt), including a vintage Bulova 14kt gold (not filled or rolled) and diamond watch. :D

JOOLS LOT 001-001.JPG

tie.dye.cat and cxgirl like this.
  8. 'Nuff_Said

Here you go...
    JOOLS LOT 004-001.JPG

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Nuff ..!! I'm impressed !!

but I swear you must be buying from brain dead people !!

Nice watch !!

That'll pay some bills !! :)

10. 'Nuff_Said

Thank you!

I wouldn't say that. Most are your average everyday folks. Some even dealers who've been in the trade (according to them) 40+ years. The word(s) I would use is: impatient and/or unwilling. Some folks just don't have or take the timeout to research what they have. Some don't even know how or where to begin that research......especially when it comes to artwork or antiques.

Some just don't even take the timeout to look. Below is a perfect example. Whomever was the former owner of that jewelry lot took the timeout to label, bag and box a lot of the pieces...

BAGGED 001-001.JPG

cxgirl likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Definitely not tigers eye. Maybe banded agate, but I can't make my mind up.

Nice lot of bling. ;)

mymysharona43 likes this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Don - score on that bottle! My little basket doesn't have any marks on it, or leather. I don't think it's Longaberger - too roughly made. The stickpin clutch wasn't gold; most of them aren't.

As for the tiger's eye ring, it's tiger's eye.(LOL) I have a real "catseye" sitting here and odds are the stone in yours doesn't have an eye that moves like chrysoberyl will.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  13. mymysharona43

Score on the jewels Nuff
    The kissing couple has a fairly common name I think, dated 69 Miguel Garcia came from the sale with all the Peru items
    Never pass jewelry, I can barley see past it when I hit a sale...

Here is a modern painting I bought for 3 Michael D Boggess and a weird little microphone I couldnt pass up for 8 and a probably modern Chinese vase 1.00 maybe missing the lid...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  14. mymysharona43

Yep you know every year I hit the same sales for many years...swap is mostly dealers....some dont know or dont care, if there's a price on it, I'm not educating the seller...

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I do in charity thrifts...if it's not something I'd ever want to deal it.:)

16. 'Nuff_Said

@Bear, Eve and Sharona... thank you so much!

At this point It doesn't matter...cats-eye, tigers-eye, dragons-eye or lazy-eye, it's all being scraped except for the watch, Jensen earrings and the few pieces of sterling below...

(Modernist silver & spectrolite bracelet by: Matti J. Hyvarinen, NA silver and turquoise earrings & pendent and lil' sterling WWII wings).
    NOT SCRAP 001-001.JPG NOT SCRAP 004-001.JPG

cxgirl and mymysharona43 like this.
  17. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

So many neat things!
    Sharona, love the piggy bank - does that pig have a ring in his nose?
    that belt buckle is very cool Terry.
    Don that little ink is wonderful!
    Love that chair nuff!

Lucille.b likes this.
  18. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

RE: the stamp on the base of Nuff's adorable MCM chair....

"Cosco" not to be confused with today's "Costco".

My parents have a cool painting of roof tops, very 60's --its huge and been sitting over their fireplace mantle for over 50 years. They purchased it at a Cosco in 1963.

cxgirl likes this.
  19. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

When I first saw the name I thought it was 'Costco', have never heard of Cosco before.

20. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I'll have to quiz my mother on about it, see what she recalls. I think Cosco stores were all over the U.S. in the 60's, perhaps someone on the board knows. (Maybe they were just in the Chicago area??) I always got the impression it was sort of like a Target, possibly a bit more upscale. I think it had a plant department too.

cxgirl likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted