Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

You might try to reach out to Bulova enthusiasts. Most are probably into watches, but they might know where to look.

Wheeble likes this.
  2. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Today's find - MOXIE soda crate. 20240908_125358.jpg

cxgirl, Bronwen, verybrad and 4 others like this.
  3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice! I used to like it, before they started using HFCS. Diet Moxie....words fail. That was a hard pass. Meanwhile, folks on the West Coast and outside of the US want to know "what's a Moxie?"

Bronwen and Potteryplease like this.
  4. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

There is a youtube vid of a museum in Maine that honors the soda, and, creator. In the vid, they show the same crate :)

Bronwen and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. evelyb30

I'd imagine they have the Ted Williams cutouts too. He advertised the soda when he was with the Sox. IIRC Connecticut is about as far south as distribution went. No one outside of New England was crazy enough to drink it.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and Tiquer like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

A little bonus from the last clearance.
    Used as page mark in a book

€170 = ($188), (£143)

20240908_213954.jpg

Potteryplease, cxgirl, NanaB and 9 others like this.
  7. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Note to self... check all books at sales.

cxgirl, johnnycb09, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Note to self.......... move to England......& get Davey to hire me !!

Potteryplease, cxgirl, NanaB and 5 others like this.
  9. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

Can't beat that!!

cxgirl, pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. evelyb30

I wouldn't mind finding a little of that scrap paper!

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I bought a wallet at a car boot once, didn’t bother opening it. Two laters later…. £230 inside!

12. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I picked up a little marketry box at our swap shop. Inside was an empty fabric pouch, under that was a smaller pouch with $75 worth of scrap gold :)

13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I finally scored some decent jewelry yesterday. I will post pics soon...I am getting ready for a book talk tea party with my sorority. They are going bug nuts....egg salad sandwiches, cucumber sandwiches, scones, clotted cream, desserts fresh grapes...I am serving chicken cranberry salad on mini croissants. Easy because a local grocery store makes a lot of homemade salad, chicken cranberry being one. Debating whether to wear a vintage hat and gloves- of course, I have them.

Friends from across the pond and friends here who attend tea parties- what else can we serve?

15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Woo hoo!!!

pearlsnblume and daveydempsey like this.
  16. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

@Marko Why don't you start a thread in the discussions section to get more eyes on your request for tea party suggestions? That sounds like way too much fun!

Linda

17. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

butter tarts ?

cxgirl, bercrystal, NanaB and 2 others like this.
  18. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Tea, in all its variety?

cxgirl, bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, you get Empress tea from Murchie's here. And then you get a 3-tiered stand with finger sandwiches on the bottom, scones and/or tea buns (buns with dried fruit in them) on the second, and fancies on the top tier. On the table is your "Royal Doulton with blue periwinkles" tea set and luncheon plates with linen or embroidered napkins alongside. On the table, clotted (whipped) cream, butter, and for an extra touch, chocolate dipped strawberries accompany your tea. (The Empress is an historic hotel on the Inner Harbour here where tourists can have an English tea -- very popular but too much $$$ for most locals. However, Murchies, a tea and coffee merchant, created a tea blend especially for the Empress hotel which is available to buy.

@komokwa -- I think butter tarts aren't much know outside Canada? But good for afternoon tea!

[​IMG]

20. evelyb30

I've never so much as seen a butter tart down here, but I'd certainly eat one!

Draft saved Draft deleted