Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

WOW, great find nuff. :cat:

2. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

Score on that! Neat!

3. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Thanks guys!

No, in the 3+ years since I've been picking Asian wares, I still suck at picking blue and whites, just got a bit lucky this time.....I hope! I wish this piece did still retain its original stopper, but I can't complain.

I just wanted to show y'all what I meant in my previous post regarding prices realized in former and "current market". Below are auction links to the same form, similar decoration, same mark and period snuff bottles:

Link Christie's 2003: http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/....aspx?intObjectID=4125251?intObjectID=4125251

Link Sotheby's 2013: http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2013/bloch-vii-hk0495/lot.134.html

Hopefully, my piece will achieve either result.

4. mymysharona43

or they have increased in value lol wow

5. mymysharona43

This piece has me curious even though the damage is extensive thought it might be a good learning piece....? Some one tried to save it....junque?
    It was likely under a dollar
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 'Nuff_Said

Correct, Sharona. From $1K+ in 2003 to $4K+ in 2013.

The market has soften a bit since then, but still hope it pulls between that last mark of $3K - $4K. If not, I'm sure above the $30 paid. :D

The prunus vases aren't anything special. Very, very similar to the pair below, just a bit taller. Probably worth between $500 - $800. Still not a bad buy at $60.;)

13133111_1_x.jpg

Not quite sure what that is Sharona. My guess would be 20th C. Korean(?) or Asian-inspired(?). And with all that repaired damaged, yes, junque at this point....so sorry, Sharon.

7. mymysharona43

Well to the scrap pile where it probably should have stayed lol
    You can't blink at that kind of profit fabulous! I think I have a small vase like that, Im sure its new, darker, newer looking but I'm will be out looking soon
    Heres another probably nothing but I thought it was cute
    I rarely pay much for thing so this either
    Thinking just modern hand painted small vase....
    I have several boxes of things I thought I would be so bored this winter and time to search and learn but rarely a spare moment
    Most I think American pottery, studio....etc etc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. mymysharona43

Here is one I found for 75cent (still had stick lol) and was able to ID
    Takahashi Shokai
    Guessing late 20thc
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

spirit-of-shiloh and 'Nuff_Said like this.
  9. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Sharona!

They're all just numbers on a screen for now, hopefully they'll do well. I don't have the best of luck/track record as stated many times before with blue and whites.

Very pretty! They both appear second half of the 20th C. The dish Japanese as you know and not sure about the lil' vase. Maybe Japanese but could quite well be American or European.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  10. mymysharona43

Small amount of time on my hands, here is one I think might be ok.....
    It has a very faint stamp and part of it reads Celadon, can't make out the rest, guessing Japanese...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. 'Nuff_Said

Looks 20th C. Japanese, but I've never seen a Japanese piece before where the word "celadon" is impressed into the base.

12. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

Very nice snuff bottle Nuff. I hope it does well for you.
    Sales have been non-existent here lately. We've gotten hit with a few blizzardy snow storms, and in Tennessee, this is a big, big deal. The few estate sales that have been held have been really, really bad with just a bunch of junk. I'm jonesing for a good one.

mymysharona43 likes this.
  13. 'Nuff_Said

Thanks, Moon!

Sorry to hear about the slow sales and bad weather in your area.

I wish you girls lived or visited my neck of the woods, there's always something going on here....from small auctions, estate sales to indoor fleas during the Winter months. The new picking season is about to bust wide open here in a couple of weeks. There will be non-stop auctions, outdoor fleas, yard sales, estate sales, you name it it will be going on. This is one of our best times of the year and I'm sure Don's (Skeezix42) as well. If you guys were here I'm sure we could show you around all the spots, but it can be very overwhelming at times....I'm sure you both could handle that though.

Christmasjoy and mymysharona43 like this.
  14. mymysharona43

Sounds like fun! Maybe one of these days....I sometimes resent my parents for raising me in a no garage sale friendly climate lol, well about half the year
    On the bright side it is a heavily populated area

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It was deader than a doornail here the entire month of February. Anything anyone thought of doing was snowed out for weeks on end. I did however find a few dabs of jewelry today. Blind luck - popped up in a senior living center. I thought the birds were Chinese when I first saw them, but there are Italian silver marks on the back. The plique a jour flower has them too. The amber isn't too valuable, but it's nice, and the lizard is sterling. My guess is Mexican but it's not marked. (Plique a jour, btw, is a type of enamel that doesn't have any metal in back of it. It looks like stained glass. I don't think this is strictly the original kind, but it's close enough for an Ebay title.)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I'd love to shop in your neck of the woods, Nuff. Maybe one day!

KingofThings and mymysharona43 like this.
  17. mymysharona43

KingofThings likes this.
  18. mymysharona43

Not sure what I did there, very pretty Bev

KingofThings likes this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I've had several of these. As far as I can find out, late Victorian and sold with something in them. Not Chinese, but in the style of.

20. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Hi! You must all be near each other and with all the talk of the sales in the area, and the finds as well, I'm curious. Where are you folks?

Draft saved Draft deleted