Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Right? It makes me sad that these necklaces were sometimes disassembled.
    I've been searching for Pools of Light for years.
    Too bad it wasn't a whole necklace, but I'll take what the Jewelry-gods put in front of me!

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I was at my favorite flea market and this lady made jewelry. We all would have cried over what she took apart to do it. Amazingly, she had some beautiful pearl and coral necklaces intact that others passed over. grabbed them.

komokwa and stracci like this.
  3. stracci

I once found a 14k Mikimoto pearl brooch that had been hot glued onto a cluster pin. The back had been cut off.
    You remember, one of those ugly pins people used to make in the 90's with old watch parts.
    I had a helluva time picking the hot glue off!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2024
    Marko and komokwa like this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Yipe! I hate hot glue, unless it's being used for fake flowers, plastic buttons etc.

Finding even a single pool of light bead in the wild is a sweet score. I'd have to wonder if the original crafter didn't find it as a loosie with one loop broken off and figured out a way to reuse it.

Marko and stracci like this.
  5. stracci

I was pretty stoked!

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

It could also have been an earring, I have seen sets with a necklace and earrings - unfortunately only in photos :(

Marko and stracci like this.
  7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

It looks beautiful on the chain you found. Lovely score!

stracci likes this.
  8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Agree. I love the single orb on the chain.

stracci likes this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

One of my thrifts was selling all cookbooks fir 10 cents each. I love the little obscure paper books. The lettuce keeper was $1.50.
    Lumii_20240729_114029359.jpg 20240728_165901.jpg
    Lumii_20240729_114042509.jpg Lumii_20240729_114047532.jpg

lovewrens, NanaB, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Amish cooking........I'd think would be simple and healthy !

11. stracci

Eek, no! It's full of lard, butter, cream.
    Stick to your ribs kind'o stuff.
    Spoken by a girl who was raised in Pennsylvania, which is home to lots of Amish folk.

johnnycb09, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  12. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

lovewrens, stracci and Marko like this.
  13. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Amish are the most unhealthful desert & food makers but the recipes are usually very good because of it. However a good amount of their recipes can be adapted to more modern recipes.

stracci likes this.
  14. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well pardon me............ I'll go hitch my horse to that big black buggy......and ride off into the sunset ....
    [​IMG]

stracci and NanaB like this.
  15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They cook old-school and use what's handy, at least traditionally. Don't forget that a lot of what we use machines for they do by hand. When you're working like a stevedore you burn off a pile of calories.

johnnycb09, stracci and NanaB like this.
  16. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Let me rephrase that although they may not eat as they once did the ingredients are typically not healthy. However they usually do more physical labor & are more active! Nice picture
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]

stracci and komokwa like this.
  17. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Exactly. The men are typically leaner especially the farmers & wives of the farmers. I have noticed the ones with “titles” for lack of better words are typically heavier from lack of working the fields. I couldn’t do what they do nor would I give up my electricity! Or my car.

stracci likes this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love my Amish donuts!

NanaB and stracci like this.
  19. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Whoopie pies aka gobs depending on where you are from. I make them an Amish women I met long ago, shared her recipe, she shared how to make Christmas ornaments with me as well. From her memory I was so glad I wrote it down. My kids & grandkids love them. I know a women who left who has shared some recipes with me as well, she showed me how to make dumplings, friendship bread that takes months, and quite a few other recipes. I am not a huge sweets eater although I have a few exceptions you are from Pa so you may know lady locks, Kaufmans cookies & a baked donut I don’t remember the name of those. & ice cream.

stracci likes this.
  20. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I bought this wooden doll a few months ago just because I liked it!
    No real idea of how old it is - she is just over 12 inches tall.
    I would love to know more about it so if anyone could help with age or origin I would be most grateful.

20240729_185046.jpg 20240729_185024.jpg 20240729_185059.jpg 20240729_185213.jpg 20240729_185242.jpg 20240729_185258.jpg 20240729_185315.jpg 20240729_185327.jpg 20240729_185435.jpg

Boland, mirana, Marko and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted