Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It wants to be a cookie bowl.

RachelW likes this.
  2. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

Pair of Duplex Oil Lamp Sconce from Hoquiam Castle.
    Couldn't pass them up especially with the providence. Bought at our annual garage sale swap meet at the fairgrounds. Last photos are when they were in the castle. PXL_20240412_220715437~2_copy_1273x1134.jpg PXL_20240412_220724586_copy_1134x2016.jpg PXL_20240412_220902150_copy_1134x2016.jpg PXL_20240412_220757773_copy_2016x1134.jpg Screenshot_20240412-134136~2_copy_581x540.png Screenshot_20240412-134204_copy_432x960.png Screenshot_20240412-134220_copy_432x960.png

3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I gasped in the store when I found this. Not worth much, except to me, but it's one of my greatest finds to date...

couchbag sm.jpg

Apparently Orvis made some travel bags out of the exact same fabric my mother recovered our loveseat with in the 90s. She worked in a interior decorator firm that also sold fabric...

couchbag sm2.jpg

The couch is in my home now and I get compliments on her fabric choice all the time. Now it's going to look like I made a bag to match it! :p

4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I would have snagged that bag just to have a bag with an otter on the side. :smuggrin::smuggrin:

stracci, Marko, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What an incredible story and find!! :)

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’ve my own grip stand wedding present bowl and my mother’s. Brilliant things.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

I sold the grip stand bowl I had on FaceBook marketplace. I "inherited" it after my aunt passed. The glaze was very crazed and cracked so I figured it had reached it's useful life as a mixing bowl. I loved it, but got $20 for it no muss, no fuss.

RachelW and bercrystal like this.
  8. evelyb30

My dad's mother's yellow-ware mixing bowl is still used every year for Christmas cookies. If it's not 100 years old yet it's working on it.

kentworld, RachelW and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I have my mother's mixing bowl that I was told was purchased one day when my sister took her for a car ride back in the 1950s "somewhere in northwestern Ohio". It sits up on top of my cabinet because I am scared I will lose my grip on it & it will fall to the floor to break into a zillion pieces. Not to mention what kind of damage it will do to the floor because the thing has to weigh at least 5 pounds. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I remember it as her potato salad bowl but my sister says she used to use it to raise her bread dough. :happy::happy:

10. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

I have my great grandmother's mixing pottery bowl here. I was using it and lost my grip and it broke with minor damage. I was able to super glue the piece back in and never used it again. That was over 30 years ago.

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and RachelW like this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

PyrexRedbowl.jpg

I kept Moms red one......I'll never know what happened to the rest of the set......but we baked together....so I licked each one at one time or another...!!:hungry::hungry::p:p:p

12. pearlsnblume

[​IMG] I have these, they were my mothers.

Boland, stracci, Marko and 4 others like this.
  13. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

BTW I still have that set here for memories.

komokwa and NanaB like this.
  15. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I collect it. Some from my grandmother some from my husbands grandmother some from other relatives. Some purchased. My adult kids like the newer pieces I bought (I don’t want to damage my sentimental pieces) as they now have star wars , Disney, etc. I’m always on the hunt for the clear small dishes I use them for baking & the newer version which is more than a few years old I noticed scratch & chip.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  16. evelyb30

I'm still using my cornflower baking pieces. Unlike the new stuff, they hold up.

pearlsnblume, NanaB and mirana like this.
  17. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I use my Pyrex color bowls pretty much every day.

komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  18. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

I will use my cornflower baking dishes. My inherited bowls from the Grandmothers I want to keep them in one piece ( I am a klutz)

19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Heh.

my grandmother was the cake maker. She used her plastic washing up bowl!

20. evelyb30

It didn't break. Smart grandma.

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted