Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

One more of the paperweight and some of the ring. I think it's a raw garnet, sliced off its matrix and set into a ring. The ring is signed BB inside of a diamond shape, without a karat mark although it's 14k.
    DSCF9441.JPG DSCF9444.JPG DSCF9443.JPG

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love that ring Ruth!

3. Rufus@frockstarvintage

Rufus@frockstarvintage Well-Known Member

@bluumz I have an old croquet set, will have to get it down & take a closer look - from memory yours seems a bit older, although mine appears much the same - blue painted wooden stand with multicolor balls & mallets. I think you’d be fine with a light sanding & some poly/clear coat on the rough spots.
    My set was a huge obsession with my niece & nephew a few years ago…. Just batting the balls around the hardwood floors of my apartment gave them hours of fun (my downstairs neighbors absolutely loved it, too) ;)

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

My grandparents had the perfect croquet lawn at the side of their house. We used to play it back in the '50s.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I see BB like that, I always think Birks.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bill Blass had a double-B logo. That's not it though.

Debora

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. Something I actually snagged & took home - two small brass/copper plates featuring relief with Indian deities. These were found in England, they belonged to my mother and we thought they were ashtrays but if they are authentic Indian religious items I feel a bit bad about that assumption. May or may not just be 60's/70's kitsch but I do like them.

IMG_6263.jpg
    IMG_6264.jpg IMG_6266.jpg

Marko, johnnycb09 and Happy! like this.
  8. evelyb30

Thanks. I have a thing for pyrope garnets, and this is one in spades. It looks like someone sawed a crystal off of its matrix and plopped it into a ring. I flip a lot of things to an antique dealer, but the ring is mineminemine. :D

My mom and her sister were croquet demons even 20 years ago still. They learned as kids on their grandparents' farm back in the 30s and 40s.

Don't I wish! I thought Binder Brothers first, but the mark isn't theirs. They used two Bs inside two interlocking circles. The mark doesn't match anything on the Jewelry University site.

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not ashtrays, little offering dishes for a Hindu home shrine.

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Did you acid test the metal or find the maker's mark? Do you have the Dorothy Rainwater book? I do, I can check tonight.

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  11. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

The Lambeth Doulton pot/vase has been repaired but it was only £1, as was the silver filigree brooch, silver earrings £1.40, 9ct necklace £1.50.
    IMG_1032.jpeg IMG_1037.jpeg

12. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Oh I love that, I have only seen rounds.

13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

This is necessary when using French wire to finish off the ends. The bead cord has to loop back through several beads, with knots between to keep everything secure.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Late nineteenth on that nice Lambeth lump. Odd that the sub assistant mark has been impressed twice. EA is Elizabeth Atkins.

Houseful likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Acid tested. There isn't another mark, just the BB. The edges feel a little sharpish and it seems pretty old. American makers didn't mark everyhing, or sometimes anything. No Rainwater books here, so if you want to go digging be my guest.

DSCF9443.JPG

16. Found at thrift shop today... IMG_6277.jpg IMG_6278.jpg IMG_6281.jpg

Vase I got from silent auction at other thrift store, $7.25
    IMG_6296.jpg

17. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

Thank you, I guessed there must have been a good reason for stringing in this way. All my necklaces with just the first three knotted beads also have the wire loops.

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Today at the store. Old scale
    IMG_6312.jpg

...and cute little hand made side table with attached 'provenance'

IMG_6305.jpg

IMG_6307.jpg
    IMG_6308.jpg IMG_6309.jpg IMG_6311.jpg

Marko, kentworld, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  19. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

interesting written tag.........but it would be better if John wrote it and signed it.

20. yeah it's neat but I agree. I believe the age, but what I find most interesting is how it went from New York State to the other side of the continent. I'm in British Columbia!

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted