Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have, the quality of the brush strokes told me it was someone with real training :)

bercrystal likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The brush work looks flawless from what i can see.Great eye-Marie,Marie,Marie (I'll get it ,if I just keep repeating 'Marie'-wasn't that an old song by The Bachelors ?).

...clean-cut young Irish Lads.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023
  3. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I had to scroll up a bit to see what you were talking about. :jawdrop::nailbiting::nailbiting::nailbiting: :p:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

x like xmas........that's rich !!!:playful:

Marko, Bakersgma and kyratango like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

For those who may not realise, this is actually a signed Fornasetti insulator weight. I’m dead pleased.

johnnycb09, Aquitaine, Marko and 7 others like this.
  7. bosko69

O.B.Bear-Congrats,You are a wonder !
    Just between U & me (plug yr ears everyone). How the heck do u keep finding this steady stream of good stuff ? Not just the quality,but the quantity ?
    PS-I never get out of the house,so maybe folks are swimming in this stuff out there (doubtful).

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Found another piece of good pottery. This time, a Muncie Vase for $4.00 from the Goodwill. It is well marked so I am surprised they did not look it up. About 7" tall and perfect condition.

muncie.jpg
    muncie2.jpg

johnnycb09, Aquitaine, Marko and 10 others like this.
  9. bosko69

Surprised ShillWill let it slip thru their claws-nice.

johnnycb09 and verybrad like this.
  10. bosko69

Plain,Old Block of Wood-$7,750.00 ?
    Warning-Not mine,I shop at Home Depot !
    The catch-It's a documented hunk of beam frm Sutter's Mill,where the 1849 California Gold Rush started.It was dug in 1924.
    PS-There's a whole pile of this stuff (behind glass) archaeologically excavated,currently at the site.
    'Whatever floats your boat...'

Sutter's Mill.jpg

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Ill Will doesn't actually train their employees, not sure they even pay them, and sometimes it shows. They look up the sneakers and hoard all jewelry, but I've scored Waterford in there before. Found a freakin' Bergman bronze on the shelf last month too; it came in with a half a tote of Lladro. But they'll mark dollar store or clearance merch $2 that came in with a $1 price tag. Used.

12. bosko69

-yep Evely,my local Thrift vase find still had the 2.99 GWill sticker on it,the thrift marked it down to 1.99 just to show-em I guess ?
    For 20 years Good Will was my Ebay salvation,now we just have the big box mega GW's.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. evelyb30

My local store is a small one, but half the shelves are empty. People in other states keep finding stuff, but even the good states are drying up a bit. Probably too many people hunting.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. bosko69

Agree-Too many pickers,not enough venues.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  15. evelyb30

And the first pickers are in the back room!

johnnycb09 and Boland like this.
  16. bosko69

I remember tales of dealers bribing workers 40 yrs ago !

johnnycb09 likes this.
  17. evelyb30

These days they don't bribe; at the Ill Will at least it's part of the job! Skim off the best stuff before it hits the floor.

Boland and verybrad like this.
  18. bosko69

Evely-For real,is that company policy or just tradition ?

johnnycb09 and bercrystal like this.
  19. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

The best stuff is supposed to get skimmed off and sent to their auction site. That is why I was surprised to find my well-marked vase. Occasionally, some good stuff slips through.

johnnycb09 and bercrystal like this.
  20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted