Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

From Google.

Whitby jet is famed for its deep and intense black colour and the lustrous shine that can be achieved by polishing it. It is also very light in weight making it perfect for jewellery. Whitby jet has a hardness of 3.5-4 on the Mohs hardness scale.

Here if something is really black people say "Jet Black"

cxgirl, kyratango, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

"When you're a jet , you're a jet all the way............."

3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Dontcha LUV the NU Jork accent!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pearlsnblume, kyratango and komokwa like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Was just on a plane & saw the Spielberg 'Westside Story',then got home & watched the 1960's original-both were excellent (surprisingly,but then Spielberg's got the touch).
    The thing that's stunning (or not)-is how beautifully well Leonard Bernstein's & Stephen Sondheim's compositions hold up,course so do Puccini & Verdi.

kyratango likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Whitby Jet has held up better than Benny and the Jets ever could - mohair suits and electric boots had a short shelf life. I blind-lucked into a pair of earrings I'll have to post. Two pair really. One looks like bog oak and the other feels like jet. Some yahoo chopped the pierced findings off and made screwbacks out of them. Not the worst that could have happened - they got sold to me as costume, and I wear screwbacks. :p

Buzz definitely needs another nice long walk!

6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Picked up this painting at an estate sale last week, poor thing needs a good cleaning and there are a few flecks of the background color missing. Signed R. Hill.", I'm going to take it to a professional restorer next week since I'm going to keep it :)

Sorry the photo isn't great, I was having trouble with the background reflecting light coming in the windows of my house.

WaterliliesRHill.jpg

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

8. bosko69

Great piece Marjorie,Cape Cod's been pretty good to You ! You'd think it'd attract half the planet's antiquers,but what do I know ?
    PS-When I think of the Cape or Martha's Vineyard-I def think Antiques.

johnnycb09 and Marko like this.
  9. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Few bits. Little 9ct gold dolphins. Enamel brooch. One of the earrings needs a small Pearl repair. Choker and bracelet just about fit me. Bracelet clasp says Made In France.
    6A1DA731-49DA-4C29-8644-C89DC3F2DCDA.jpeg ADDC001F-A863-4842-BB06-9BD55A804E40.jpeg

10. Marie Forjan

Thanks Deborah, I think it’s a beauty, I also think I have the original frame :)

The Cape can be hit or miss when looking for things to buy. Some yard sales are full of junky, used furniture and accessories that were bought years ago at a yard sale to furnish a rental cottage. I was lucky at this sale, the same family owned the property since it was built in the mid 1800s. It was seasonal, no heat, no insulation, very rough facilities, so they never threw anything out. Most of what was there was not anything I would buy, but I wanted the painting!

11. bosko69

The painting's a gem,and frm what I can see,the original frame (the cherry on top !). That frame actually seems in pretty good shape.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I wonder what the one on Invaluable went for. Nice score!

johnnycb09, pearlsnblume and Marko like this.
  13. bosko69

Invaluable's est. was $300-$500,it went for $1500-Marjorie had a good day on The cape !

Last edited: Mar 19, 2023
  14. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Here's some recent Navajo weavings I've scrounged up. I like the one on top best.
    6AC4AD98-8272-4B41-A681-EBA592DE51A5.jpeg Does anyone know, is it okay to run hair clippers on a wool weaving to cut off the 'fuzz' that has developed?

B3A40E96-64C2-4A33-A386-BD2D124D2133.jpeg

Thanks!

15. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Psst. Her name is Marie. ;)

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  16. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nah...leave the fuzz.....gently clean them...but that's it...

the eye dazzler is neat !!

17. Marie Forjan

That’s OK, I’ll answer to “hay you” :D

18. Marie Forjan

Thank you! I paid $150, that gives me some room for the cleaning :)

19. bosko69

Sorry Marie-for some reason Marjorie is firmly lodged in my skull ! Many dogged scroungers would've walked by that piece for $150 (some pickers get pretty weak-kneed at $50 or $100). I would've broken my arm doing the wallet quick draw-it's exquisite.
    Have You studied Art ?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I’d use a manual safety razor rather than trimmers. Way more controllable.

Draft saved Draft deleted