Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Old coral wire wrap bracelet
    Lumii_20230311_110619763.jpg
    The gold leaf pin is hollow 14k the thrift shop missed for $3.
    Lumii_20230311_110612755.jpg

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Rhinestone expansion bracelets
    Lumii_20230311_111941665.jpg
    The circular earrings are sterling. FW pearls are 14k. Sapphire earrings sterling. The open heart earrings are Jane Seymour for Kay Jewelers, sterling with 10k posts. Sterling moonstone earrings.
    Lumii_20230311_112346574.jpg
    Tauga nut?
    Lumii_20230311_112001011.jpg
    Indian anklet that actually fits me
    Lumii_20230311_110548770.jpg
    Antique mall find, $10, it's on the silver forum
    Lumii_20230311_100803542.jpg

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like you found some stuff! That gold leaf was a score, and I saw at least three pair of sterling earrings in there. Tagua nut necklace for sure, btw.

I'm still going through my finds from an estate sale today. Went back a second time because it was on the street I use to go home anyway. "There's no jewelery. We didn't know what we had so we have a professional looking at it for us" or words to that effect. (spent $30 that time through anyway) I think I know who's looking, and the place I was going after the sale is the store he owns. Off on a home appointment, no joy. Went into another store in the area and spent $10 and then went back to the estate sale.

Half past dead by then of course - spent $10 the second time for a "no jewelry" light 14k chain that'll scrap for about what I paid for everything! The pile includes: three Belleek vases, Waterford Lismore open sugar and creamer, green Depression glass candlesticks (no particular design; I need to see if they glow) and ... a quilt top from the 1930s. It needs repair, but "Merry Christmas Carole!" - a friend loves messing with old quilts. And the gold chain of course - hoping to get $50-60 in scrap.

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Excellent. I often go back first thing in the morning on the second day. I remember one jewelry-packed estate sale a few years ago, and they missed a lot. I asked if anymore was coming out, they said no. I got there a few hours after opening the second day, and there were new pieces. They found even more in the attic. Lesson learned.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2023
  5. evelyb30

Sometimes it happens that way. Sometimes not. I don't know where the chain was hiding, but I found it in a box of random bits. Also found the late owner's SS card, one of those metal ones, but immediately gave that to the family. The last thing they need is one of those getting loose!

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Here is some of the stuff from a sale I went to yesterday. Also got 15 ceramic planter/pots (no photo) for outside, at $1 each I couldn't say no.
    Some Lodge cast iron loaf and muffin pans, I was going to sell them but my oldest son dropped by and they went home with him - he loves cooking:) This Ivory Puzzle ball with stand in original box. I've never had one with the stand before. I'm thinking from the late 1960s - 1970s as the box has a glass front. Three baskets, from Africa, USA and Canada. A beautiful carving, maybe from Thailand? The wood is wonderfully smooth, will have to ask about this one. A sterling ring from Mexico, black face on the front. Last but not least, a pile of sterling that was in the free box. The mirrors are damaged/broken, rust and green stuff on most pieces which I think is why it went into the free box:)
    Imports - 2 of 2.jpeg

Imports - 1 of 2.jpeg

Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg

Imports - 1 of 2 (1).jpeg Imports - 1 of 1.jpeg Untitled - 1 of 1.jpeg Imports - 1 of 5.jpeg Imports - 5 of 5.jpeg Imports - 2 of 2 (1).jpeg

kyratango, Bronwen, IvaPan and 11 others like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Just a wee bit jealous of that Ivory Ball on stand!!! NICE!!!!!:happy::happy: Still blows my mind how they carve them out!!! AND the carving of the faces is VERY interesting!

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Your covered basket looks like those from the South Carolina "Low Country" & are called "Sweetgrass" baskets. Many of the basket weavers set up at the Charleston Market & are usually working on new baskets while they sell existing ones. :happy::happy:

Here is some background on the baskets.

https://www.thecharlestoncitymarket.com/sweetgrass-baskets/

pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and Marko like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a nice ivory ball ......!!!!!

10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I thought they were sweet grass.

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

LOVE the carving and the ring !

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  12. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The ivory balls take me back to Chinatown San Francisco in the early 60's.I remember sitting in the Folks VW on Grant St. and hearing 'Sukiyaki' sung by Kyu Sakamoto crooning out of the Blaupunkt radio.
    ...very clear after 60 plus years,magic realism.

13. evelyb30

I love the ring too. The puzzle balls turn up here but since i essentially can't sell ivory ... but they're still cool. As for the silver, who cares if the glass got broken?

As for your son and the Lodge...can't say I blame him. A young guy at the estate sale yesterday snagged three Griswold skillets in assorted sizes and was happy as a clam. Verbally ^5ed him - that's the good stuff. Told him my large pan was used so much the name is half worn off the bottom. (four generations of use will do that) It can last that long, and gets better with age.

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wowie, I see some sweet items here.

Potteryplease likes this.
  15. evelyb30

Some of last weekend's goodies. THe quilt top is a repair job, and probably a friend's Christmas gift. Three Beleek vases about 7 inches tall. Lladro angel. Hartford Federal Savings plastic bank - the kind you had to take in to get opened. They kept the key. First time I've seen one that wasn't mostly metal. The pie plate is Table Talk. The brand is still around. This pie plate was supposed to go back to get your deposit money back, but obviously this one stayed home.

I also have two little metal type/stamp whatsits that dearly need cleaning off so I can find out what's on them. They turned up with a junky Kiwanis charm..on a 14k chain. The chain is low quality but will melt just fine!

DSCF9335.JPG DSCF9339.JPG

16. komokwa

there's nuthin at my thrift....
    but, a walk about gets me out of my head for a while , and it's for charity...

so 8 bucks later.....
    a fire king ...that looked interesting.....till I looked on the web...
    an Imari kinda looking thing....... that's not !
    and a vase........do y'all want to see yet another vase......????
    well.....it looks like a regional Savannah potter, and the colors make me smile....
    so.......

. IMG_4504.jpg IMG_4500.jpg IMG_4503.jpg IMG_4499.jpg IMG_4502.jpg IMG_4498.jpg IMG_4501.jpg

17. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Vase is cool.I've tried selling Fire-King,seems like all they want is the green jadeite .Boy that stuff was coming out my ears when I was a kid-why didn't I keep Gramps 500 coffee cups,kitchens full of it.

Bronwen, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

anyone have thoughts on the vase....
    the interior has a purple wash.....and the base is unusual ....
    I doubt it's some recent Chinese crapola.....BWDIK.....????

johnnycb09 likes this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Komo you did a great job on getting a clear image of the Fire King stamp. I always struggle with those.

komokwa likes this.
  20. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I once had an accumulation of Fire King mugs. I listed a few on eBay and someone contacted me wanting to know if I had more to list. I said I had about 100 and listing was going to take a long time. He asked for a price on the lot, so I asked what I thought was too much, thinking he would come back with a counter offer, but he took the deal. It took seven large boxes to complete the shipment.

Couldn't do that today.

1cj.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted