Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Haven't posted here in a long time but have something worth showing today. This is definitely my best find of the year so far. Large 20" oil jar from Burley and Winter. Thrift store find for $15.00, in perfect condition. This is also my favorite color combination for B and W. This one is a keeper!

burleyw.JPG

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

And not a mark between 'em, darnitt! No idea how old they are, where they came from, or even the real metal content. The brass Georgian ones gave themselves away underneath, but plaster inside and felt are still in use.

Not precisely my thing, but it's a local piece that deserves to stay local. Sounds like $15 was a steal.

komokwa likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Actually, not very local to me. Burley and Winter was a 19th century Ohio company that lasted well into the 20th century. They made a lot of utilitarian wares but also had a line of art pottery, of which this is an example. The art pottery line ended in 1943 so this piece is no later than that. As a colletor of arts and crafts pottery, this falls within my collecting spectrum.

Burley Winter Home — The Kings Fortune

The Burley-Winter Pottery Company (bluewhitepottery.org)

4. evelyb30

I figured the Depression got them, but I'd imagine it was WWII instead. Clay wasn't war material, but potters were.

pearlsnblume, johnnycb09 and verybrad like this.
  5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I love those swan pitchers.

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Just finished clearing the house of the BDSM guy I mentioned in rants and raves.
    Lots of maritime equipment I have not photographed yet.

He had lots of brass blow torches which people seem to collect here, polished up and restored he had about 12 like the one below.
    20230302_160828.jpg

But then I find this giant one, a Monitor, which I believe was used in ship building, its more copper than brass but needs restoring.
    Never seen one this big, its alongside its little cousin for size comparison.

20230302_160933.jpg
    20230302_160941.jpg

20230302_160959.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

never hold a collectors sexual appetite against him......:playful::playful::playful:

8. evelyb30

Unless he was into kids or animals. (ewwww)

9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

BDSM? What have I missed?

10. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

11. evelyb30

Nothing I ever wanted to see, and I do mean ever. My idea of a dungeonmaster involves 12-sided dice!

kyratango likes this.
  12. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Here's an 18" x 24" Navajo weaving dated 1932 and with a profile image of a Native person in a feather headdress.

0EE88D5B-38C8-410E-9391-820525B3C5DF.jpeg

It's interesting to me as a cultural artifact. At that time, Hollywood films were popularizing imagery that implied all Native Americans were Plains Indians, and ignoring the huge number of cultural and regional differences between Indigenous groups.

In a documentary about Hollywood Indians, First Nations film critic Jesse Wente calls the elision of individual cultural traits through this kind of popular imagery, especially the feather headdress, an ingenious act of cultural destruction.

For me, then, there are a lot of contexts 'woven' into this piece, made by a Navajo most likely in Arizona.

13. evelyb30

A tourist piece doubtless, made for some dumb tourist who'd like dumb tourist art.(LOL) No point in wasting the good stuff on that lot.

kyratango and Potteryplease like this.
  14. evelyb30

Actually found a bit yesterday. Paid too much for the necklace, but it's signed Krementz and strung on chain. They cared. The moonstone earrings aren't marked. This charity shop overprices everything they catch, so you have to hunt for the misses. The Chinese cloisonne is brand new, but the brand doesn't go cheap.

The little needle holder looks like a match case to me, or even a go-to-bed??. It has a rough area on the bottom made like a striker, and a round brass inset in the top that doesn't go all the way in. The hole is pretty small though - might just be a holder for a needle? The other bit of treen is a mystery. Incredibly fine-grained and smooth as silk. The lid piece isn't really a lid (doesn't fit), and it's ribbed inside like it was meant to have a glass liner. The bottom has what looks like a ballpoint siggie.
    DSCF9323.JPG DSCF9324.JPG DSCF9331.JPG DSCF9332.JPG DSCF9333.JPG

15. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Dice cup.

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  16. evelyb30

Entirely possible. It does make me wonder what the little lid/cap piece went to, but if it's a dice cup the world may never know. I'd love to know what wood it's made from too, because whoever made it knew his business.

17. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The 'world' knows - it is a fairly common dice cup, likely boxwood, the interior ridges help turn the dice.

https://www.google.com/search?q=box...9Al8Q_AUoAnoECAIQBA&biw=1536&bih=714&dpr=1.25

From an 1885 retailer catalog (though they were also produced much earlier, and later as well, into the 20th century):

dice-cup-1885-silber-fleming.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

The Moonchild loves the moonstone earrings.

pearlsnblume, kentworld and komokwa like this.
  19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lumii_20230304_152939586.jpg Have to charge my phone. My $1 probably fake but sterling earrings marked Tiffany are cleaning up nicely. There is a thread on the jewelry board about them.
    Lumii_20230305_095326091.jpg

20. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Some finds from this weekend. I love these, brand new for $1, who knew they were a thing!
    Lumii_20230305_122235918.jpg
    Holmes and Edwards silverplate forks in May Queen, $1 each.
    Lumii_20230305_122214879.jpg
    Hardly any jewelry at an antique show this weekend.
    $6
    Lumii_20230305_123005520.jpg
    A bit beat up for $20, but it is Ostby and Barton 14k gold shell.
    Lumii_20230305_122310153.jpg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2023
Draft saved Draft deleted