Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Went into the Ill Will today because it's Senior Day, and I also had my Birthday discount to use if I could find anything to buy. Surprised myself I did. First was a Nautica Home plastic lemonade set, unused. A signed duck decoy, hand carved and pretty local. A small bluebonnet art photo that I didn't photograph - the frame was original but the combo was a horror. Gave them a divorce soonest. Then a vase I didn't buy (crystal, but sold on QVC. Too new.), and then...jackpot. A LLadro figurine in a fresh bin. Someone else had gotten there first and found a bunch for her mother. There were two she didn't see, but I did. Handed her a butterfly she'd missed, because why not. Then on the shelf...painted metal doggie, Polish pottery vase, a little figurine worth more than the dollar they had on her, and a little pottery rabbit whatsit holding a frog. Wooden dala horse, but blue.

The whatsit is a whatsit. The girl turned out to be Royal Doulton from the 50s. The dog...got him home and hoped, and found the mark. I never thought I'd see that mark in person. Bergman bronze. Their price? $1!!!! and I got 25% off.

DSCF9303.JPG DSCF9304.JPG DSCF9305.JPG

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That greyhound is fabulous. What a find.

Marko, Aquitaine, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

:woot: Bergman cold painted bronze dog! Love!!!

NewEngland, Marko, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Woo hoo!

pearlsnblume likes this.
  5. evelyb30

Thanks! I went on eBoo to show an antique dealer what I'd found, and someone wanted $400 for the same doggie. Pie in the sky price, but I paid less than $1 after discount.

NewEngland, Boland, kyratango and 3 others like this.
  6. tie.dye.cat

tie.dye.cat Well-Known Member

I bought a small lot from a local gentleman that I bought from once before. Got through the whole lot and not a darn thing worth salvaging, or at least so I thought.

I had pulled out two or three things to look at better in the light of day and found this. I suspect the gentleman saw the "P" and thought it stood for "plated". I'm happy with the lot now.

Clyde Duneier 10K

Clyde Duneier Ring A.JPG

Clyde Duneier Ring B.JPG

Clyde Duneier Ring C.JPG

7. tie.dye.cat

Love the greyhound and Happy Birthday!

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. evelyb30

Thanks! A day early, but I'll take it. Nice lapis signet "junk" you have there.

tie.dye.cat and bercrystal like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'd wear that ring. Lovely color, lovely visual weight.

Debora

10. tie.dye.cat

Ha, my old eyes first saw the blue as enamel and the gold flecks as just the plating showing through some wear. I'm glad I don't trust my eyes in the evenings anymore and always look things back over during the day time. Can't believe how many times I passed something over only to immediately recognize it as gold during daylight hours.

Houseful, komokwa and pearlsnblume like this.
  11. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

This is not really a find, but those in the know say, that styes from the 90's are back being popular again. I mean 1990's.

They mentioned that banana clip we women used to hold together our hair in the back of our heads will be trending. No thinks, they were a literal headache.
    Everything old is new again I suppose.

12. evelyb30

1990s t-shirts are "vintage" collectibles. File under Pyrex I guess.

Rave: scored a salt and pepper grinder set in the Ill Will for $4. I needed a salt grinder and the pepper mill came long for the ride. Later in the day I found a big pack of scrapbook paper in the ReStore. Happy Birthday to me! Into my card stash it shall go.

Houseful, NanaB, bercrystal and 2 others like this.
  13. pearlsnblume

Happy Birthday Ruth

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. pearlsnblume

I have plenty of vintage tee shirts here. Not bands though. I hate selling clothes. Those buyers tend to be the worst of the worst.

15. evelyb30

One reason I rarely sold it.

16. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A few things I found lately....
    Shadow box with a pretty lady .I thought the detail pretty cool.Mother immediately claimed it !
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Fenton leaf tier bowl
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Japanese(?) bowl,I may start a separate thread on it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

quirkygirl, Marko, Boland and 8 others like this.
  17. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Thank you ! I guess I dont need a thread on it now. I knew I should stay away from asian porcelains ! But it was pretty and caught my eye.

19. evelyb30

Not to mention girls in lace dresses if you don't want your mother making off with them.:D:D My more is more likely to say "What did you buy THAT for?" Unless I bring home something she likes of course. Chocolate, fresh fish, precious metals....

20. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

No, don't stay away; that's a good one! And a real antique -- late 19th c. I bet.

Draft saved Draft deleted