Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

We always called them darning eggs, back when.

I've watched enough Road Trip to know what a rummer is. I keep hoping to find a bit of 18th century glass here, but alas all of the hand-made is 20th or 21st century Mexican.

Born2it and bercrystal like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I would love to come back to the UK-some wonderful Auctions and I'm sure the 'teensy' ones that Charlie talks about rarely end-up on Icollector or Invaluable. The Packaging & shipping costs are insane (must limit my bidding to the 100K & up Items !).

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  3. bosko69

Deleted

Last edited: Nov 9, 2022
  4. bosko69

Sorry for the above Post,haven't listed anything w/ pics in ages & it seems my old brain has slipped a cog,it's a mess and I can't seem to delete the entire thing.This is what i meant to Post -'Portland Craigslist-WWII Compass Indian Bracelet,The Dalles Oregon-$150...marked MOK' . (Looks like Navajo Turquoise to me ,he just uses the term 'Indian Bracelet).
    I don't have the expertise or cash to speculate on this item right now but thought someone might be interested in it.
    PS-Sorry if this is posted in the wrong Forum/Sub-Forum/Stub,etc,etc.

5. bosko69

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Hm. Your pictures seem to have been deleted already? Did you have a problem we can help with?

7. bosko69

Thanks Baker-I haven't posted Pics in quite a while and am rusty-but,I cut & pasted these from a local Portland Craigslist listing to see if anyone else on the Board might be interested in it.When I went to upload the images (after clicking on the Full-size/full image button),and they turned-out very small in the 'Preview'. Tiny Pics can definitely be frustrating for our members,so I just tried to delete the whole post (with mixed results). Could be because they came from another source (not my camera).

8. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I collect SW Pueblo pottery, but I've never been too terribly interested in tiny small pots or the small 'animalitos.'

But then last weekend I found this small collection of four frogs, and maybe my interests are changing...

A2328EF2-39EB-47FE-B55C-0B39673E3513.jpeg

The middle one in the back row is signed by brother and sister combo Margaret and Luther Gutierrez of Santa Clara Pueblo. The black one is by Luther's son Paul and his wife Dorothy. And the Cochiti Pueblo one with the fly on its tongue is signed Martha Arquero. Kinda fun!

9. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Great finds all. I have a few sock darners that I found at a church thrift shop about 15 years ago. I always forget I have em.

anundverkaufen, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I'm NOT buying but I "found" it locally on FB Marketplace and thought some might like to see it. The seller claims it is circa 1870. Listed for $15,000 US. :greedy:
    @kyratango @Any Jewelry @Goldfinch 05
    Chinese opium bed. Part of seller's description:
    "It has a “foyer” about 3 foot deep that you step into before sitting on the bed. There is a “ceiling” which is quite rare, plus the lacy walls all have “windows” which slide up & down should you desire additional privacy... the panels all slide open and shut with a wooden rotating piece to close the privacy panels. All “windows” are in working condition. There are about 25 intricately carved panels inside the bed that are all individually hand carved depicting sword fighting scenes, gardens, landscapes and animals. None of these panels are the same. In fact the entire bed is hand carved not cut by laser or machine. The bed comes apart into long sections approx 8’ x 2’ panels. There are no screws, nails, or bolts in the entire piece. The construction is all tongue and groove, slotted together as was the building method 150 years ago."

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WOW!!! THAT'S some piece of work!!!! NOT my style, but doesn't mean it's not GORGEOUS!!:):):)

Boland, pearlsnblume, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  13. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Took me a while to find out where these silver Charity shop earrings were from. At first I assumed Egyptian but they are Portuguese. There’s a little flying swallow bird hallmark which is for the gold.
    C302DFD0-322D-4CCE-8307-1716022A6869.jpeg 9D7E12E5-9B5E-4297-92E0-AA7005DA826C.jpeg

bercrystal, stracci, Born2it and 7 others like this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@bosko69, from what I understand, when you want to delete a post, AFTER you've already posted it, the best you can do, is click 'EDIT', then highlight the contents, hit DELETE, but leave just a little 'period'.... (.) then hit 'save changes'....at least that's what I and others seem to do!!! (Or do what you just did!!!!:happy::happy:)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

, does the opium come with it ?
    :hilarious::eek:

pearlsnblume, bluumz and Aquitaine like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Gorgeous bluumz, thanks for showing us.:happy: A bridal bed, rather than an opium bed though. Chinese or Peranakan.
    In some East Asian traditions, the formal bridal bed was a presentation bed, a symbol of the sacred aspect of the wedding. In Javanese culture there would also be small carved wooden figures of a bride and bridegroom, Goddess Dewi Sri and her consort.

bercrystal, Boland, stracci and 3 others like this.
  17. komokwa

does the Bride come with it ??:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

pearlsnblume and bluumz like this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Now, how did I know you were going to ask that?!:D:hilarious:

pearlsnblume, lvetterli and komokwa like this.
  19. komokwa

because on occasions like this......a comedic set up.....I'm very predictable !!!

;)..:kiss::kiss:

20. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I know nothing about this stuff. Seller said it was an opium bed and that he had been using it for "meditation". :smuggrin:
    Some seller photos of the carved panels:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Boland, Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted