Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

20220804_092801.jpg The last thing I will show you is the reason I went out in this heat. It was more of a quantity day than a quality day, but I had fun.
    20220804_095944.jpg
    20220804_091606.jpg
    20220804_091636.jpg

2. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

20220804_092421.jpg 20220804_092508.jpg
    20220804_092949.jpg
    Vintage coral chip.
    20220804_093318.jpg
    20220804_093242.jpg
    20220804_093249.jpg

4. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I got the pearl and 14k bracelet for $2.50. The engraved silverplate bangle was in $1 grab bag. Coral necklace, $3. Napier coral-style necklace missing some of the chain, in a $1 grab bag. Other necklaces $4-$6. Silverplated tray, $1.50.

So....I had a thread on the jewelry board about this. Thrift shop wanted $76 for this duette. They are having an alphabet sale this month- yesterday was B day, anything that started with B you could buy for half price. I got this for $38. I got it as a brooch.
    20220804_095616.jpg
    20220804_095634.jpg
    The the red stones are open-backed, clear are foiled. All but the oval red stones have a saw tooth setting, ovals are prong set. No maker's hallmark. At first, the space where it was in the case was empty, they moved it. Sigh of relief. Examining the clips, they have the prongs shoe clips have rather than the smooth clips dress clips have.

Speaking of thrift sales, another shop had a Wacky Wednesday sale- you got to pick your color, and everything you bought that was that color was half-price. I picked silver. I will take pics later of a few more non-jewelry finds.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    stracci, bercrystal, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That last pin tray is so delicate and pretty. And with the handpainted name on the back you know it was all hand decorated!

bercrystal and Marko like this.
  6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thank you. Seriously, I know nothing about glassware, didn't know it was handpainted. But even a dummy like me knows to pick up unchipped Limoges for $3. That shop said they got a ton of jewelry in this week, will be coming out in dribs and drabs. The manager who works the shop is in their sister shop, and another person who marks jewelry lower is in this one.

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

More dolls house stuffs! The bloke had a dolls house as well,but I persuaded him to sell me just the bags of furniture. It is ALL 50s and 60s, and will provide much winter entertainment when I clean it up.

P1190049 small.JPG

8. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing it!

Ownedbybear and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

So glad you pulled the trigger ! I hate when stuff haunts me. Usually because I end up buying it ! That is a lovely piece,good for you !

bercrystal likes this.
  10. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Thanks. I would have forever regretted not getting it.

Aquitaine, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  11. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

People with no taste who only like Chico's jewelry, good for me ;)

I check that scrapper regularly, I don't get anything cheap from him, but sometimes I find something special!

12. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Lol, that wooden and turquoise necklace I posted is Chicos. I have never been one for current fashion jewelry, but if it sells, I will pick it up.

bercrystal likes this.
  13. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, but Chico's is one of my cuss words, along with Alfred Dunner in clothes. (one look at the "fashions" perpetrated by the latter will tell you why they're a cuss word.)

johnnycb09 likes this.
  14. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I have never been in a Chicos, but find a ton second-hand. Alfred Dunner is not my style. Me? Senior Goth pretty much. "Eclectic" taste.

lvetterli likes this.
  15. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how many times I have gone on a house call to look at "my mothers old jewelry" just to find a pile of Chico's stuff :mad:

Marko and johnnycb09 like this.
  16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Better that than Alfred Dunner for me too. Just bought myself a t-shirt with a skeleton riding a surfboard. Not precisely my style, probably Torrid, but one heckuva lot more interesting than Retirement Home Chic Chicos (that almost never fits anyway) or Florida Retirement Trailer Park Chic Alfred Dunner. They still make those poly doubleknit pants with the permanent crease down the front!

Just made myself a skirt - patchwork fabric I found in a fabric store about 20 years ago and never used. Scored some 100% cotton pale green fabric that was perfect for a lining, and the skirt partially hides the compression wraps I'm stuck wearing. Found elastic at some sale or other and... bingo.

johnnycb09 and Marko like this.
  17. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I love vintage fabrics. I got this gold 20220804_121037.jpg lame brocade hat, perfect netting, at a thrift this week for $6. I wish I could sew.

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Houseful like this.
  18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Super annoying. I did pick up a J. Crew necklace, stones test as aquamarine, this week at a thrift. Not sure what the opaque stones are.
    20220729_165534.jpg

19. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I work with many women who are always having product parties. Pampered Chef is the worst, but I did go to ONE Lia Sophia party, got a few things I liked, highly overpriced. These women were dropping over $100 each on junk jewelry whereas I would be buying good vintage costume or sterling elsewhere. Even worse was a Premier Designs party....at least Lia Sophia had more rhinestoney pieces that I liked. A party I would like to attend? A vintage Tupperware party where I could get my lettuce keepers.

komokwa likes this.
  20. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I just acquired this art glass piece from the local antique mall.
    It was love at first sight.
    It is a signed piece by Seattle glass artist Dan Bergsma. He attended the Pilchuck Glass School founded by Dale Chihuly. It almost looks like a Chihuly.....if only!!!
    It's quite large, 13" high and 17" wide.

Screenshot_20220805-095738~2.png

Draft saved Draft deleted