Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Topaz in sterling is generally fairly modern and not expensive. Very pretty though. The Bohemian garnet brooch is an absolute winner, as is the portrait one.

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Not many jools lately, but I liked this for peanuts.

Older clasp, quartz or similar.

P1180671 small.JPG

Aquitaine, Marko and bercrystal like this.
  3. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

That and the 14k red garnet ring :)

Aquitaine and bercrystal like this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Marjorie-Cap Cod looks like a treasure chest.Sure looks like a beautiful place.Gotta be some hellaciously fine estates there.

5. Marie Forjan

Actually it has been tough finding nice, old items for some time now. I got the 14k ring from a scrapper I visit regularly. And a lot of the other things, like the garnet pin and portrait pin came from a weekly pickers outdoor flea market that opened for the season in April. I consider myself very lucky to have that market to go to during the warmer weather!

Marko and bercrystal like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Wowzer!! Love all the bling!!!

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I know what you mean about the Slows. I think last weekend may have been "the big one" here. This weekend there's one community tag sale. There's also a hoarder clean-out, but between the stairs, no a/c and it being in a low-income neighborhoold...pass. Besides, I know the guy who's doing it and he's a jewelry dealer. Anything worth buying is already back at the store.

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Think they make a cream for that now.

But both necklaces will gestalt well when worn; great pieces when taken as wholes & we've all seen cameos that are worse. 1930s, I would guess.

What is the back of the portrait miniature like?

komokwa likes this.
  10. Marie Forjan

Funny Bronwen :D

Here is the back:
    PortraitPinBack.jpg

Thank you bercrystal, much appreciated!

johnnycb09, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  11. evelyb30

That's been around a few!

Bronwen likes this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Unbelievable that this wasn't spotted as a quality piece before you got to it. Must be meant for you. Can you tell what material the miniature is painted on? Sometimes it is ivory.

johnnycb09 and Marko like this.
  13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Was surprised to find a bit of sterling in the thrift store for the first time in a couple years. Just a plain baby cup and a modern teaspoon but sterling is sterling. They were packaged with a silverplate sauce spoon, a pair of wood handled 3 tine forks, and an old cheap egg beater. Go figure.

Marko, bercrystal and komokwa like this.
  14. evelyb30

Gotta love when that happens!

johnnycb09, Marko and bercrystal like this.
  15. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

This spoon was in a free bin at a garage sale
    P1890159.JPG P1890160.JPG
    Not finding a meaning for the I by the standing critter.

16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

17. evelyb30

Bingbingbing! Free silver for the win! All I found in the free bins were USB cables and some plastic cups.

18. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

I had a good Fri-Sat, pics will follow. Who stops at a yard sale at 11:30? Not me usually, but I am glad I did. It was in the 90s here, no breeze, half the normal amount of vendors at my flea market, but glad I went. Posting a few questions on the jewelry board now.

Silver spoon in a free pile? Wowzer.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    janettekay and pearlsnblume like this.
  19. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

wow you all have been picking some great finds.

Here an estate sale can be a moving sale, someone died sale, people are going to assisted living etc. Most are indoor. No hard and fast rules. In the words of Forrest Gump.. you never know what you are going to get. LOL

Yard sale, garage sales, tag sales in general are outside. They can be filled with junk or some can have some treasures but they don't care what it sells for, they simply want it gone. Others think they have the Hope Diamond and price things so high that no one in their right mind would buy it.

I went to a moving sale today that was outside. The guy was a collector and had various items. Most were in rough shape. But the shaker I bought was nice and I needed it to for my pepper shaker (so I would have a pair) and the salt shakers is harder to find IMHO in this HA pattern.

20. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="
    Silver spoon in a free pile? Wowzer.[/QUOTE]
    The wowzer was the $12 lady's watch. A $25 piece in 14 grams of 14K.

The spoon polished well.
    P1890185.JPG

Draft saved Draft deleted