Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What establishes it as Egyptian?

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Motif can be a clue. But these are a common style: I've a few pieces with gold plaques of the pyramids and sphinx, for example.Filigree settings.

Mind you, there were Greek motif jewels with similar central plaques. I have earrings with the Acropolis on, but they're a cannetile edge.

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

7A5AEADA-5A19-4992-B445-5915B86F89EF.jpeg Bronwen, Here’s better pics showing design and teeny mark.
    686CE3E9-A6E3-4D8F-9518-FD8B85C1B97D.jpeg

stracci, Bronwen and bercrystal like this.
  4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

5. Ownedbybear

6. sparclette

sparclette Member

Is this a coin? Doesn’t look like one thought I’d ask bc it has letters - HM

does anyone have info on this? 7EC9007B-D84B-4E17-8C30-21B3BB95D305.jpeg F5A356BF-EA94-4BF2-8892-64486C920B0A.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 1, 2022
    stracci and Bronwen like this.
  7. sparclette

sparclette Member

F096DB07-FE15-4ED5-9E7C-815A2B3E8AC4.jpeg 654B9A8A-0164-41F7-B21E-E31F74729CB3.jpeg 669DF79C-C5DD-40C7-8144-AD6F04546D11.jpeg Does anyone know about this tortoise shell box? It’s tiny - wondering if it’s Victorian or what, and what it may have been used for (I thought snuff box but has a lining…) what is the red material in the bottom, and the little white ball legs?…

8. Bronwen

Houseful and bercrystal like this.
  9. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The letters above the horseman look like Greek language to me. And no it is not a coin. No monetization, Maybe @daveydempsey has seen this before. And the letters you mentioned look more like FM to me.

bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  10. Bronwen

It's a medallion, not a coin, but the images may have been taken from a coin or coins. They are not necessarily the obverse & reverse of the same coin. I can't make out the Greek above the horseman well enough to get a handle on it, can't tell alphas from deltas. The other side is Athena, so may be from coinage of Athens.

There were several medallists from the 18th century that signed 'FM', but I don't think this relates to any of them.

11. Bronwen

How big is tiny? Looks to me like a wooden box that has been painted trompe l'oeil fashion to look like tortoiseshell. Would guess Italian. Looks like jewellery casket; if quite small, maybe for rings. The ball feet are ceramic? Seems like an older touch to me, but maybe not so old as Victorian.

stracci and bercrystal like this.
  12. Houseful

Some time ago I had another Egyptian brooch where you were able to find the tiny marks I hadn’t seen so I remembered that I had to look really hard for them:)

13. Bronwen

Yes, unlike western practice, often on the front. :)

bercrystal, komokwa and Houseful like this.
  14. sparclette

sparclette Member

15. sparclette

sparclette Member

Here is a 50 pence coin for size comparison- now that I take a closer look at it- the red lining on the bottom seems to be on the inside as well- with the velvet painted over it. The tortoiseshell def. isn’t painted on… B4A27206-C812-409C-BCDB-712A7755CB2E.jpeg EA608836-362A-4DC9-8EA8-11E9377E2DFF.jpeg

kyratango, stracci, Born2it and 3 others like this.
  16. Houseful

Here’s one with similar red embossed base. Think yours has been relined with more modern fabric inside.
    B4D70EF7-1E88-4782-8147-286E01DE27CD.jpeg

17. sparclette

sparclette Member

@Houseful Wow thank you! That’s awesome going to print out description and keep it with the box for my kids when they’re old enough to be interested.

18. sparclette

sparclette Member

Sorry for the typo it does say “FM”

19. Ownedbybear

Lovely little Georgian box which someone has relined with a knitted jersey type fabric. I'd probably pull it out and get something more appropriate.

20. sparclette

sparclette Member

wow amazing it could be that old.

What is the dark red material? It looks like laquer almost (not quite)

stracci likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted