Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

wow, you got some beautiful pieces Marko:)

Aquitaine, Marko and Ce BCA like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Since Ive discovered Hoodwills so close to home,I cant seem to stay out of them ! Sad,considering Ive still got boxes to unpack but such is the way of it.
    Not sure if Ive already posted this,but if so please forgive.
    7 inch tall 5 inch wide tin glazed (?) pitcher.Yall might remember I have a larger blue one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    3 inch Lunt sterling frame for .50 cents . I thought "did you not SEE the tag ?
    [​IMG]
    Weird find of the day .Im not sure if its a stretcher or a cobblers piece,but for $2 it was odd enough that I had to have it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tanya, anundverkaufen, cxgirl and 5 others like this.
  3. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Those old shoe stretchers are the best. The newer ones are limited in stretching width.

cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Shoe of Anguish,,,,,, :eek::eek::eek::inpain:

Aquitaine, cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've had it happen to me a few times. I wish it would happen more often!

Got up at the crack of dawn this morning and dragged what's left of my carcass to an estate sale too far away. The sale runner often doesn't advertise jewelry when she has it, and I knew I'd always wonder if I didn't go, so off I went. The really interesting reading glasses were $25 (antiques, probably steel frames) and I knew they'd sell for about that so they stayed behind. So did the (sigh) drafting kits. Already have three - mine, Dad's and Great-grandpa's.

Did grab the skeleton keys, a travel razor new in package, and a handful of silver for $60. The tree has a watch battery on the back. There were some 14k earrings too - mismatched pearls on posts. Big fat hairy one. And a nice British enamel and rhinestone dolphin. Dunno if he made the photo.
    DSCF6153.JPG

Marko, anundverkaufen, Ce BCA and 3 others like this.
  6. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Couldn't leave this Marcrest Cookie Jar behind at the thrift store.

Marcrest Cookie Jar 01.jpg Marcrest Cookie Jar 02.jpg

7. evelyb30

Me either, if I could pick it up! What do they make those things out of, cement? :-/

Joe2007 likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

WHOA!!!! @anundverkaufen, SUPER NICE SCORE!!!!!!!! YOU'LL most certainly make money on that baby!!!!!!!! And don't discard the case!!!The Featherweight link I had posted I think also restores them before selling...... https://singer-featherweight.com/collections/featherweight-faire?omnisendContactID=5fa4184e19719709394c553e&utm_campaign=campaign:+5/4+Featherweights+for+Sale+at+8am+Pacific+Today!+(607f183cb1b5330bcc43d549)&utm_medium=email&utm_source=omnisend
    If you didn't save it, here it is showing what they SOLD for!!

anundverkaufen, komokwa and Lucille.b like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

@Marko - I've an NA bracelet/ring very like that one. Bit more than $2!

10. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

They are heavy and kind of bulky. Those were some of my reservations in purchasing it. What does everyone else think? Good buy, meh, or why did you buy that junk?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  11. evelyb30

If you have a place for it it's a good idea. My dad kept used stamps in our - stamp collector habit. These days there are no postage stamps on the mail any more.

I went out late today - couldn't even think about getting out early today. First sale? Everything good went before I even made it out of bed, not that there was a ton. Then I made a donation run to the next town and came back with what I think are two Viking owl pitchers. The third sale didn't start until noon and I was there champing at the bit. A neighbor got in early and got the coral necklace but he left 305 grams of silver jewelry and a pennyweight of 14k for me. Spent $90. The big necklace isn't signed but I'm pretty sure the black stones are black diamonds. The ram is MMA and the big earrings seem to have gold on them too. The bracelet is a big Mexican sterling clamper.

DSCF6159.JPG

Pattywithay, kentworld, Marko and 6 others like this.
  12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice haul...

13. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Already in the shop for sale with the beat up case. It runs great, has recent service receipt with it. I’ve had at least a dozen of these over the years. A much better seller on the west coast than here though.

14. evelyb30

Quilters LOVE them. Keep them maintained and they run and run and run. Can't do a fancy stitch? Nobody cares since all you're doing is straight stitch and maybe Reverse here and there.

Marko, bercrystal and Aquitaine like this.
  15. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Well, my husband's aunt passed away about a year ago and they had an unadvertised yard sale (duh.) My husband didn't tell me about the yard sale until today, you know, because I don't treasure hunt. I went to see if they had thrown anything out, and all the stuff was still in the yard today. Prices were all over the place. I could have bought yet another Kitchen Aid mixer for $15, but I told them what it was worth. I told them what prices to up and to lower. I picked up a few costume pieces, but I could tell by what was left I missed some good stuff. Not into glassware, but this was $3. 20210517_152506.jpg

16. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

anundverkaufen and komokwa like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: Hubby's in the doghouse!!

Marko and komokwa like this.
  18. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

A few of my latest favorite things,damn you Hoodwill !
    Amethyst glass Rex of New Orleans vase from 1917. I tried to polish the inlaid silver but was afraid to rub too hard having once erased a gorgeous art noveau glass!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Darling little spill(?) or bud vase,the mark is impossible! Im going to start a thread on this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sterling bracelet at a different thrift for $1 . Mother immediately claimed it.
    [​IMG]

19. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

For the silver inlay, use a jeweller's or sunshine cloth. Won't cause to much wear and will shine it up nicely.

johnnycb09 likes this.
  20. evelyb30

Mom has good taste, or at least good magpie instincts.(LOL) Marko's hubby is in the doghouse for sure!

Aquitaine, Marko and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted