Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Chicken Livers, Veal Kidneys (hard to find now).....I know not supposed to eat too often, but just load me up with them browned up in a frying pan with gravy, onions & bacon, and a side of mashed potato with butter..........and I'm in HEAVEN!!!!!!:smug::smug::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::smug::smug::smug::happy::happy::happy:

2. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I hate beets too and also beet greens in vinegar. . .:vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I had chicken hearts once.....they were not bad..

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

@johnnycb09

These are oil reservoirs and burner assemblies for peg lamps. They are, in fact, designed to be placed into candlesticks. They probably date from the 1870s or 1880s. You can measure the radius where the crown is on top of the burner and buy glass chimneys of the same radius, 5 to 7 inches or so high, and place them in candlesticks to get that authentic effect. :)

NICE PURCHASE. Matched pairs of these used to go for upwards of $1K or even more. Much cheaper now, but still.......

5. Aquitaine

:dead: Tried one once....was kind of tough....

Bronwen, komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Down south here they are always trying to give me those black eye peas. They are just nasty beans with a fancy name. :grumpy::grumpy::grumpy:

Our boys taught our last dog Gracie how to do that. She was only about 6 months when we got her & she learned it early on. They were constantly trying to throw it in different ways to see if she would be able to catch it. She rarely missed.

Our Honey Girl started to learn the trick about a year or 2 ago so she was about years old. She does okay but she is not quite as quick & agile as Gracie was. :happy::happy:

I am right there with you!!! :p:p:p

I will be the first to admit I am kind of a picky eater, both of what I eat & how it is prepared. Of course I do not force others to eat what they don't like either because if I did that then eventually someone would try to force me to eat something I do not like. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. wiscbirddog

Very well said!

When I was a kid my father made me stay at the table and finish my peas. I would swallow them whole and then announce how many I was forced to eat. One day my mother asked me why I didn't like peas - I told her they tasted like WORMS!!! She told my father he could no longer force me to eat peas if they tasted that awful to me- LOL I do eat peas now, not my favorite vegetable but they are ok.

8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Okay, have to ask - how did you know that they tasted like worms?

Mine was beef liver, left alone at the table until I finished it - eventually my brothers or the dog would come in and save me. Didn't even know until recently that my oldest brother hated it too - he just choked it down (my Mom and other brother liked it enough to order it in restaurants)...

~Cheryl

9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I can eat beef liver, but will never like it. Actually, I can choke down just about anything but detest raw tomatoes. I've had some that weren't horrible, but NONE will ever be good. Again - texture thing, combined with the acid. On the other hand, I love fried green tomatoes, so go figure. Turnips on the other hand...ewwww. I can eat lima beans but will never like them. Japanese baby octopus ick me out too; that's a texture thing for sure. The brains are mushy.

10. wiscbirddog

I do believe it was just the worst thing I could think of to tell her, and it worked I didn't have to sit alone at the table & eat (swallow) them. :D

11. Aquitaine

Calves liver.....YESSSS!!!! BEEF Liver....gwarvffpfflawrpupchuk!!!!!:vomit::dead:

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

OTOH - Kosher chicken livers fried up and chopped up with onion and hard-boiled egg ...nom! As a gentile, I would freak out some old Jewish ladies and spread that on cream cheese on my bagel. (LOL) (trayf nom!)

Bakersgma and Aquitaine like this.
  13. Aquitaine

Never tried it, but doesn't sound bad since I love all of it!!!!:joyful::joyful:

14. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I do not eat peas by themselves, but they are mandatory if I am eating creamed tuna over noodles or stew beef & gravy. :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

That is one wonderful brother!!! :joyful::joyful::joyful:

My Mother would cook liver sometimes because my Father loved it, but we were not required to eat it. She however would not make anything else so we were on our own to make whatever we wanted to eat.

If she had forced the issue I'm afraid I would have been there to this day or till the Rapture which would have come first. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried calf's brain and scrambled eggs?My grandfather would cook them for breakfast several times a week.

16. wiscbirddog

I've tried just about everything from a bovine except brain. Don't think I'd want to try cooking it myself before tasting it from a known good cook (of which I am not).

Liver: cow liver, yuck. pork liver, acceptable. chicken liver, yummy.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  17. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

I've never cared for meat ... as a child when ham was served I would start to gag ... my father would make me sit at the table after everyone had left and after about an hour he would slap me hard on my head and I would be knocked off the chair with my head spinning .. nice eh. I still don't care for meat but I Love fish .. especially salmon. My kids always seemed to enjoy meat but if they hadn't I would have been okay with it :) ... Joy.

kyratango and komokwa like this.
  18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

daddy should not have hit you like that........:(

Aquitaine and kyratango like this.
  19. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't do game (sorry, I can't eat Bambi or Thumper), organ meats, mushrooms, lima beans, olives (olive oil is OK though), okra or anything that comes from water (fish, sea food, sea weed).

If I couldn't buy meat in the grocery store I would be a vegetarian, I would never, ever be able to kill and animal for a meal. I would be more likely to give the animal a name and keep it as a pet.

I like fresh or frozen peas. Those olive green canned peas give me the willies though!

Now, back on topic ;) I have a couple of items I "found" on eBoo. Once I get my act together to take some photos I'll be back!

kyratango likes this.
  20. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Mom used to make liver and onions.
    I remember eating it, so I must've liked it.
    But now that I'm older, no innards for me. I rarely eat meat these days, as I prefer meatless meals.

komokwa, Houseful and Christmasjoy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted