Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Found this Boris O klein, Dirty dogs of Paris at a car boot a few years ago. Water stained on an edge, no frame and glued to fibreboard which I couldn’t do anything about. Eventually found a pine frame to fit, painted that and cut a new mount. 636FAEC0-37BC-4E68-9F3B-1295C3A3C074.jpeg
    A38ADDE2-FAC3-4F01-B261-3DCC765AFE3A.jpeg

2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

US and Canadian Police patches.
    And a UK 1948 Olympics patch.

These were in a folder at the clearance today.

img133-vert.jpg

3. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

oh DAVEY..... Can I buy that Olympic patch from you please? I think you know why. ;)

Bronwen likes this.
  4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Displaying a US flag upside down is a distress signal. Fitting, considering how you got these.

That Olympics patch is pretty awesome.

lvetterli, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Does OPP stand for other people's patches?

Bronwen, komokwa and anundverkaufen like this.
  6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Now that damn song is in my head ! thanks ! :singing:

aaroncab, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  7. daveydempsey

Ontario Provincial Police :D

aaroncab, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  8. daveydempsey

That was the only one I was considering keeping :hilarious:
    I think his father in law J Bishop may have been a participant there.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  9. Ownedbybear

Oh, fair enough then, that makes sense. :)

Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Why ?

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Local interest, shall we say. ;)

komokwa, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  12. daveydempsey

She can spit through the arch of the stadium from her kitchen window :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

13. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

popsycat, the last high high heels I bought were for my sister's wedding. I always wanted a clear pair of high heels like Cinderella's glass slippers. They were open-toe, lucite, gorgeous, about 5 inches high. Every head was turned in the shoe store when I walked around in them. I had the shoemaker put an extra hole in the ankle buckle strap. I was a bridesmaid, and the wedding was in Pittsburgh.

I was walking with the groom's eldest brother (I am the eldest sister.) I was soooo excited- until we had a pre-wedding barbecue with the groom's family. I am 5' 6 1/2", the shortest sister. My husband is 6 feet tall, and I always dated taller men. The groom's brother was about my height (perhaps a bit shorter.) Well, we were staying over in Pittsburgh and I had to dash out to Walmart and grab a pair of silver flats. I never had another occasion to wear the Cinderella shoes.... after that, I had my series of ankle surgeries and never wore high heels again. My niece got the high heels...so I love yours!!!

Bear, I have a thing for vintage purses, too. I love the style of yours. I picked up a couple over the weekend, some old, some new, but I can't resist. I do this with vintage coats, too. Picked one up over the weekend, need to photograph.

The coat I LEFT at the thrift shop would never have fit me. I was a full length gray wool fitted coat, cinched at the waist, flared out like a dress at the bottom. But the real stunning thing was the collar and cuffs were chinchilla. I don't do much with furs anymore, but I could have resold this. It was marked down to $37.50, vintage size 12 (so like today's size 8).

14. Ownedbybear

Bit of a long spit, but not far off. ;) I collect Local Stuff.

Bronwen, kyratango and daveydempsey like this.
  15. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

16. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

My reply has ended up in the middle of your post. I wondered where it had gone.

Aquitaine likes this.
  17. anundverkaufen

anundverkaufen Bird Feeder

Bought a grab bag for $4.99 today, it had this quarter plate daguerreotype in it. Six children and mother but no father.
    D46FC2A6-3D5E-4705-AF7B-8E52B650A1F5.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    kentworld, Marko, Figtree3 and 13 others like this.
  18. evelyb30

Nice one! It looks to be 1850s or 1860s from the hairstyles. The lady is dressed like a widow, so no dad probably available. Civil War widow maybe?

19. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Love how the jewellery pops out.

20. evelyb30

Bought it on Saturday, up on Eboo yesterday. Via Dolorosa wall crucifix. Not old or valuable, but I figured it's Lent so now is the time. DSCF3300.JPG

BMRT, Figtree3, johnnycb09 and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted