Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

nope she doesn't

2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

That Liberty label is pre WW1, and I'd suspect late 19th C. I wonder what that held: something scented.

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was hoping that Replacements would have flatware piece listings (even if out of stock) that we could use to ID this one. Unfortunately they only have Watrous hollowware and miscellaneous non-flatware. Darn!

anundverkaufen and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  4. popsycat

popsycat Well-Known Member

The label on the base.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  5. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

So kind of you to look. I found one that was called a jelly/jam spoon in this pattern after @komokwa made a suggestion, and it had a higher rim than this one. The link was dead.

[​IMG]

stracci, komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  6. popsycat

I don't know what made me pick this up, as on its own it is not very interesting. The label takes it to another level. It is pierced, so I think it is a pot pourri. On another note, are you watching "The great pottery throwdown"? I thought the chess set challenge was a hard one. Bring back "The great British sewing bee" I love it. What I also like, is the fact that they are in a competition and still help each other.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  7. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love both of those programmes. They showcase people with actual skill, rather than five minutes of fame. That helping thing is a delight.

It's a bit small for pot pourri, maybe a scented pastille - or perhaps bon bons? The label adds to it hugely.

kyratango likes this.
  8. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

You may be right. I do have quite a bit of jade here at the house, both jadeite and nephrite. And of course I scoured the internet looking for similar cups and some sources do say nephrite. They failed the scratch test, but I think that only applies to jadeite. Whether nephrite or not, they are interesting!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

What did you scratch with?

My gem book says jadeite is 6.5 - 7 on the Moh's scale & nephrite is 6 - 6.5.

10. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I scratched under one cup with the tip of a stainless steel knife. It took a small scratch into the stone. For comparison, I also tried to scratch several of my jadeite bangles, and the knife tip couldn't scratch them at all. Ha! So maybe they are some other stone, like you say.
    I will try this test on the underside of a confirmed nephrite piece when I get home later, to see what happens.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Here are some shots of this weekend's haul. Not the greatest, the lighting stunk, but you can see some of it. The prizes may be the Liztech bracelet, the funky wired one, and the typewriter. That was a surprise. I just glommed it thinking it was a metal typewriter. Paid a quarter or so. It wasn't until I sat down with a coffee, it was a charity sale and they sold coffee too, that I saw the marks on the back. WHOOPS! There are two Joan Rivers pieces, one pin and one gigantic necklace. Another Oops ... D&E earrings and necklace for $5. The green bracelet is dichroic glass, the Fender is a Christmas ornament, and the rest is just "assorted". (The birdie is NOT Takahashi; the back is glued on.) DSCF3246.JPG DSCF3247.JPG DSCF3250.JPG DSCF3254.JPG DSCF3255.JPG

12. popsycat

It is pierced, so presumably for something smelly. You are right about the shows. At least they are not full of vacuous posing pouting people.

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

of vacuous posing pouting people.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

14. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I like it.

anundverkaufen likes this.
  15. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Yes, I love to watch the Bee and Throwdown. The male judge gets so emotional over the pottery! I’m hoping the Bee will be back soon, I liked the alter the existing garment challenge.

16. popsycat

Love the Bee. I hope they do another show. I am in awe of some of the talent shown. I used to sew a lot, but I could never enter the bee. Tha male judge does get emotional, I like that in him.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Some fun things today. First a small (3.5 inch), azurene perfume bottle from Isle of Wight Glass and a sparkly small (3 inch) faceted, rainbow scent bottle.

IMG_5326.jpg IMG_5314.JPG IMG_5315.JPG

Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  18. KikoBlueEyes

Next - a little Russian Lacquer box (I think) for $1.50. (I just paid $60 at the gift store down the street for one about a third the size bigger as a Christmas gift for a friend.) I don't know if the writing describes the scene or the artist.

IMG_5328.jpg IMG_5327.JPG IMG_5329.jpg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  19. KikoBlueEyes

Next - a dark blue Wedgewood Silver Jubilee trinket box and a pretty glass tape dispenser.

IMG_5331.jpg IMG_5330.JPG IMG_5332.jpg IMG_5333.jpg IMG_5335.jpg

20. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

The little filigree brooch is white gold.

The back of the cameo necklace is marked Coro. As far as I can tell the setting and chain are a base metal and the cameo itself is probably a resin. Sound and feeling are not ceramic or shell or rubber.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted