Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I was at my lock-up today sorting the mass of stuff from several recent clearances.
    Amongst some old boxed tools I found an old engineering manual.

There was a 45 year old political leaflet page marker inside.
    It was about a referendum on staying in Europe.

How ironic, we left just yesterday:hilarious:

img129.jpg

2. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

After a few days of medical procedures I treated myself to a trip to the antique mall an found a few new additions to the hoard! I've been trying to accumulate a small collection of early McCoy so the doubled handled vase was in my wheelhouse. The Shawnee dolphin/fish is identical to another one I acquired a few years back and @janetpjohn identified for me. I find the advertising mirror to be really cool and will go great with my other advertising pinbacks, badges, and mirrors.

mccoy early mccoy double handled vase.jpg shawnee pottery fish.jpg advertising mirror jenkins and co jewelers.jpg

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Was a bit disappointed at the rummage yesterday, came home with a copper plate for the scrap bucket, couple of picture frames, some dog harnesses for donation to local rehoming facility, a lamp base and this tiny 2and a half inch high jug that was ignored by the other buyers for about 15 minutes. I eventually picked it up, bought it because I liked the shape and the hand painted flowers. Found out it’s 18th century Lowestoft porcelain called a Chelsea ewer, cost was a few pence. Looks like two people decorated it, one for each side.
    7CF348B4-F097-4299-A65E-5DA7B89DDA99.jpeg 6FBB732F-AD72-40F3-B8B8-154DF872CD0F.jpeg F74640B2-BFB1-4053-9D6C-478EB95CFD4F.jpeg

4. daveydempsey

My silver proof Brexit 50 Pence is on its way from the Royal Mint.

I rarely buy new coins especially direct from the Mint but this was special.

Only 47,000 struck in silver proof.

Around 10 million in base metal will be issued.

bx1-horz.jpg

5. Houseful

All the gold ones sold out very quickly, think the silvers are future collectors items. There should be plenty of the base metal ones around for me as people ie Lord Adonis are saying they will refuse to accept them. They just don’t stop whinging.

6. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Evelyb, those Chinese export earrings are to die for. BMRT, I have exactly the long green glass earrings you posted. I wear them often because that color green is my favorite, like emeralds. :)

Bronwen, kyratango and BMRT like this.
  7. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

Everybody seemed to have cabin fever yesterday. Weather prediction was for rain, so I drove up to an antique mall heading north and stopped in two thrift shops. It was packed everywhere, but I found some goodies. I am sooooo behind in photographing, I have to see what I can do today to catch up. I did find a gorgeous vintage brown suede jacket for my nephew for $5, fit perfectly. Now is the time here to catch winter things on sale half-price at our thrifts.

Bronwen and BMRT like this.
  8. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

19242949-D1FC-45BD-A1EC-7B7969A6820E.jpeg Online finds, finally trickled in. Coro cameo, MOP necklace, small glass sterling art ring that needs some attention, cameo brooch, two sterling bracelets (one marked italy sterling the other no marks but tests positive), filigree brooch/pendant in older style box, art Nouveau-ish brooch and a hat pin holder.

A5331A1E-3CF4-41DB-A9D6-9FBD255CD696.jpeg 6E2D34C9-6358-4D87-8680-8A819FA13A3E.jpeg No marks on this. I’m feeling this is a new piece inspired by older designs but I absolutely loved it.

252C7C63-9D20-4F5F-BC97-0D1134B58F76.jpeg Here’s a close up of the brooch/pendant. It’s marked 14k and the work is lovely.

326A56F0-03B8-4935-9EBE-DD37CBA6B3D4.jpeg And the other brooch also full of tiny details. I’m going to give it a light polish to see if I can get them to really pop.

9. BMRT

BMRT Jewelry cherry-picker, lover of silver

They are beautiful. I plan to break them out with a dark green 70’s style dress I have for warmer weather :happy:

Bronwen, kyratango and bobsyouruncle like this.
  10. daveydempsey

Adonis is just a k**b :hilarious:
    I nearly fell off my chair when I found out his age, 56, I thought he was more 76

11. Houseful

Crikey, I’m shocked to learn about his age too! Also has anyone looked less like an Adonis?

daveydempsey likes this.
  12. daveydempsey

There are people who have ordered the coins from the mint who have not received them yet already selling them for upto £300 +, most are around £100 on eBay.uk
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...13&_nkw=Silver+proof+Brexit+50+Pence&_sacat=0

Houseful likes this.
  13. Joe2007

Joe2007 Collector

Got this reference book yesterday. A bit outdated but still pretty good overall. I really like the books by Ted Hake, they are usually really good guides that have helped me considerably.

hakes guide to advertising collectables.jpg

14. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Hello, everyone! I actually have accrued a few things that would qualify as finds lately. Besides my ill-fated Blenko water bottle :)arghh:). The first is an 8" tall glass candlestick, enameled with roses and other flowers and then gold. Sorry my first photo is pretty dark. Candlestick Gold Painted (2).JPG Candlestick Gold Painted (3).JPG Candlestick Gold Painted (6).JPG

Next is an Orrefors vase, "Wish to the Moon" if eBay listings are correct. Orrefors Vase (2).JPG Orrefors Vase (1).JPG
    Found this lovely chocolate cup or demitasse for less than $5.00. R. S. Germany. RS Germany Choco Cup (2).JPG RS Germany Choco Cup (5).JPG

Cobalt dolphin compote. Five inches tall. Dolphin Compote (2).JPG Dolphin Compote (3).JPG Dolphin Compote (1).JPG Anyone know who made this?

I'm pretty pleased with it all, it will all go out in the next week or so, either on eBay or to malls.

Linda

15. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found a cobalt dolphin candlestick once. It wasn't old; they were sold in the Met gift shop. The candy dish/compote is probably from a similar source, late 1990s or something.

Bronwen likes this.
  16. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

These cups were found in a thrift store recently. I paid $7 for all four.
    I'm thinking they are nephrite jade. Any ideas? They are in perfect shape, no chips or cracks.
    The fibrous structure is so interesting.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Ted writes fairy tales to sell his wares. I see no point in looking at them let alone purchasing one.

18. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Chinese Reverse Painted Rotating Paperweight on wooden stand - large at over 7 inches including stand. Apparently these were a thing in the 1970's.
    IMG_5292.jpg IMG_5296.jpg IMG_5297.jpg IMG_5298.jpg

19. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That's fascinating, Kiko!

Aquitaine, lloyd249, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  20. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

The large hole allowed the painting and then they put a peg in it, so it could rotate. Totally fun.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted