Featured Finds Thread

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, May 25, 2014.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

lol, that one is a goodie Lloyd:)

Christmasjoy, kyratango and lloyd249 like this.
  2. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

wow , remember i bought all those comics last year 350 of them , at the TS $1 each (no deals on all ), they told me at that time there was a second box/tub and i could buy it also, they just needed a little time , back when i bought them they had torn them out of the bags and boards and threw them away , tied up 5 comics in a bundle with a bow and candy cane ,asked $5 bucks a pack. so i gave them a few days till i bugged them about it lol and i waited a few weeks more , they (michelle ) told me she would get on it , well after (quite )a few weeks michelle came to me in the store and told me the tub in fact contained no more comics .... fast forward to today , i went in and there was a wood box (eek) full of comics they had crammed in it lol so i bought what i could salvage (75 ) I only had $50 on me and so i told them (they trust me ) i would come back with the rest ,wife bought a few things so it was $110 total , michelle said ok no prob . so i drove home, get the cash ... go back .. low and behold the wood box is full again lol hmmm so i bought them but as I was leaving I asked if there were any more hiding in the back ..... there was , she came out with a tub of them and guess what they had the candy cane wraps on them long story long ....they were the missing comics from the last batch and completed the runs that were missing , that sucks they lied like that ( rant rave) hehehe lol i suspected they thought they could get more for them but found out it's a lot of work bought a total of 240 today , just 1 comic (mint ant man number 1 ) covers the cost of all of them (if i sell hehe )
    DSC00037.JPG

Last edited: Dec 10, 2019
  3. lloyd249

lloyd249 it's not hoarding if it's valuable

could be our new motto lol

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My finds today were an Israeli holloform bangle for $3 and a $5 golf flag from River Highlands. It's local, but the flag was autographed most likely during the annual PGA tournament. It was also framed. I say was, because it didn't come home; it went to my church office. The pastor and assistant pastor are both golf nuts. The lead pastor came out of his office in between meetings, took one look, and gleefully made off with it. I'd expected that to happen; he's a massive fan of that tournament. If he hadn't glommed it the other pastor would have! Merry Christmas, dude.

Aquitaine, lloyd249 and kyratango like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u could have checked the siggys first....

lloyd249 and kyratango like this.
  6. komokwa

So...i just put my wife on a plane headed for Chile.
    Before I did though, I had to get out of my head, so that I could focus on her and be there for her , calm and cool, till she hit the gate !
    I took some time off and went into my thrift...expecting nothing...just to loosen up my mind.

Again, as in the past there was nothing there of any value..... but.....2 things made me smile...& that was enuf to drop 5 bucks for charity !!

IMG_6811.JPG IMG_6813.JPG

That's the only 22 KT gold I'll ever find !!!!! LOL !!!!!!

IMG_6808.JPG IMG_6809.JPG IMG_6810.JPG
    I just grinned like a fool upon spying this cute little dragon.....
    I don't care who the maker is or when it was made or what it cost.....the colors just lit me up !!!!!

And so far the rest of the day has been ...well...calm and put me in a good mood !!

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The dragon might keep you humble for a few minutes - you being crunchy and tasting good with ketchup. (very old geek joke, for y'all who haven't run into it.)

No real need - and no way to do it. I don't have a smartphone, and in any case I doubt any of them were worth much. It didn't matter anyway; the piece was always destined to be out of my hands before I got home. That's why I bought it.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, originally, then dragons. ;)

komokwa and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Italian from the province of Treviso. That tri-color gold & the construction of the clasp scream Italy. May say Italia on it somewhere.

Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  10. Bronwen

I don't find dragons so subtle as all that. Quick to anger, that they are.

komokwa, Ownedbybear and kyratango like this.
  11. Bronwen

yes

12. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

Small town boy , eh !!! :happy:

14. bobsyouruncle

bobsyouruncle Well-Known Member

Absolutely!! on the farm until the "big city " Huntsville lol

anundverkaufen and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

16. Ownedbybear

Thanks @Bronwen - I could see the Italy, but wasn't sure on the region. I've a three strand bracelet which himself bought me in the early 90s, also Italian. Very similar construction. They will go well together. ;)

Bronwen and kyratango like this.
  17. Bronwen

Those maker's marks with the 2-letter province abbreviation & number for specific jeweller are the same as ones used for silver & can be found by looking for Italian silver marks. :)

And nice that you're building a parure. :)

Ownedbybear likes this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Yeah, I'll be looking for the necklace next, but I won't pay more than a couple of quid. ;)

johnnycb09, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  19. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Charity shop finds. Paid £5 for the cameo which is set in 9ct. The mabe pearl is 18ct but the back post is broken off and there was only one there despite searching so it could make a nice pendant. Faux pearl gold earrings and I just liked the stone in the base metal pendant, can’t remember the name at the moment, got it now, dendritic agate. Just had a thread about the opal leaf E13B25DC-9A6D-4798-9D6A-F1B04265E0C0.jpeg brooch in Jewelry, thanks to AJ there.
    4406AB85-1AA3-4BF8-8CEE-1C33E4B26C6F.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  20. Bronwen

I would call it moss or dendritic agate. Cameo is nice, late 40s maybe, helmet shell.

Draft saved Draft deleted