Featured Finding information about books using Artificial Intelligence, is it useful?

Discussion in 'Books' started by Ex Libris, Jul 8, 2023.

1. annika91

annika91 New Member

I'm not that experienced in AI and ChatGPT in general, but it's interesting to me, so from time to time, I read something. I've used ChatGPT a few times, but just to see how it works, and the questions I asked were pretty simple. It was about historical events and something related to traveling, and all the answers were correct and detailed.
    And I was surprised to read about that lawyer because I thought that it never made mistakes. But it proves one more time that we must be attentive and not blindly trust technologies.

Ex Libris and komokwa like this.
  2. Ex Libris

Ex Libris Well-Known Member

Although the AI models have a lot of knowledge, in some cases it will hallucinate (read:lie). Mostly it is because an ambiguous question, but it presents the answer as it is true. This is a problem in much cases as you can imagine, but that will be less the case as the model gets better and if it has access to internet for example and van check it’s answer.

Figtree3 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if or when it gets on the www......just how will AI be able to distinguish facts , truth and reality ...... from fake news, modified photo's, fiction , hate speech , & alternative facts ???...:inpain:

2manybooks likes this.
  4. Ex Libris

Since today I have access to ChatGPT Vision, so ChatGPT can analyse pictures from now on (for the Plus version only for now). Let's see if it is better than Bing. Again I just asked the question: What can you tell me about this title page?

d8899cb9.jpg

ChatGPT's answer:

Certainly! I'll break down the title page for you, explaining its elements in a step-by-step manner:

1. **Title**: "MISSALE ROMANUM"
    - Translation: Roman Missal.
    - Context: The Roman Missal is the liturgical text containing the prayers and rites used by the Roman Catholic Church for the celebration of the Mass.

2. **Subtitle**: "EX DECRETO SACROSANCTI Concilii Tridentinirestitutum"
    - Translation: By the decree of the Sacred Council of Trent, it has been restored.
    - Context: This indicates that this edition of the Roman Missal was reformed and issued following the decrees of the Council of Trent (1545-1563). The council was an essential part of the Catholic Counter-Reformation, which addressed doctrinal and practical reforms to counter Protestant movements.

3. **Authority**: "PII V. PONT. MAX. IVSSV EDITVM"
    - Translation: Published by order of Pope Pius V.
    - Context: Pope Pius V (1566-1572) implemented the reforms decreed by the Council of Trent. In 1570, he issued the Roman Missal, incorporating the changes, and this title suggests that the book is one such edition.

4. **Illustration**:
    - Depicts two figures, possibly saints or biblical figures. These illustrations were common on title pages and provided an artistic element, often with religious or thematic significance.

5. **Place of Publication**: "ANTVERPIAE"
    - Translation: Antwerp.
    - Context: Antwerp, in modern-day Belgium, was a significant center for book production and trade during the early modern period.

6. **Publisher**: "Ex officina Christophori Plantini, Prototypographi Regii."
    - Translation: From the workshop of Christopher Plantin, Royal Printer.
    - Context: Christopher Plantin (1520-1589) was one of the most famous printers of his time. His print shop, the Plantin Press, was known for its high-quality publications.

7. **Date**: "M. D. LXXII"
    - Translation: 1572.
    - Context: This is the year the book was printed, two years after Pius V issued the reformed missal.

8. **Seal**:
    - Depicts a shield and is likely the mark of the publisher or possibly an ecclesiastical seal.

In summary, this title page is for a 1572 edition of the Roman Missal, reformed and issued by Pope Pius V following the decrees of the Council of Trent, and printed in Antwerp by the renowned printer Christopher Plantin.

My comment:
    An impressive analysis of the page in my opinion, with a lot of context of the period! The analysis of the illustration and the seal (library mark) are quite poor.

SAM_0222_klein.JPG

ChatGPT's answer:

Certainly! Let's break down the information step by step.

1. **Title and Author**:
    - The title mentions "OPERA D. IOANNIS CHRYSOSTOMI ARCHIEPISCOPI CONSTANTINOPOLITANI". This translates to "The Works of St. John Chrysostom, Archbishop of Constantinople". St. John Chrysostom was an early Church Father known for his eloquence in preaching and public speaking. He was the Archbishop of Constantinople and is a saint in the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches.

2. **Content Description**:
    - The text provides an indication that this volume contains the works of St. John Chrysostom that have been translated from Greek into Latin for the benefit of the readers.

3. **Illustration**:
    - The illustration features what appears to be a classical pillar or pedestal adorned with a figure holding objects. This could be a symbol related to the author or his teachings, but without additional context, the exact symbolic nature is speculative.

4. **Publisher Information**:
    - "BASILEAE, EX OFFICINA HERVAGIANA, MENSE FEBRVARIO, AN. M. D. XXXIX." This indicates the book was published in Basel by the Hervagiana Press in February of the year 1539. Basel, a city in Switzerland, was a significant center of printing and humanism during the Renaissance.

5. **Privilege Note**:
    - "CVM GRATIA ET PRIVILEGIO Caesareae Maiestatis" translates to "With the grace and privilege of the Imperial Majesty." This suggests that the book was printed with some form of imperial permission or license.

In summary, the title page is from a 16th-century publication of the works of St. John Chrysostom, translated from Greek to Latin, and published in Basel in 1539. The presence of an imperial privilege suggests it was a publication of some importance and was officially sanctioned.

My comment: Again a very accurate description of the page! This is what I hoped for (and the model get's only better from now on).

a8egjz5o5sl3_rosemondt1.jpg

ChatGPT's answer:

Certainly! The image you've shared is of a title page of what appears to be an early printed book. I'll provide a breakdown of my observations and interpretations:

1. **Textual Analysis**:
    - The title "CONFESSIONALE SIVE LIBELLUS" suggests that this is a book related to religious confession. The term "Confessionale" refers to guidelines or instructions related to the sacrament of confession in the Roman Catholic tradition.
    - There are references to "sacerdotibus," which means "priests" in Latin. This reinforces the idea that this is a religious text meant for clerical use.
    - The mention of "acelerrimo academie Louanien" possibly refers to the University of Louvain (or Leuven), which was an important center of learning in the early modern period in what is now Belgium.
    - The reference to "Magistro Godscalco Ro" may indicate the author or a significant figure associated with the text.

2. **Date of Publication**:
    - The text mentions "Anno Mil. CCCC. XIX Men, Iunij, Die, xxvij." This is a date in Roman numerals. "Mil. CCCC" translates to the year 1400. "XIX Men, Iunij, Die, xxvij" refers to the 19th "month" (probably a mistake or a different way of counting months) of June, the 27th day. The actual year seems to be 1419, with the day being June 27th.

3. **Typography and Decoration**:
    - The text is set in a blackletter type, which was commonly used in Northern Europe in early printed books.
    - The decorative red lettering is a technique known as rubrication. Before the advent of color printing, initial letters and headings in early printed books were often colored by hand.
    - The ornamental designs, such as the intertwining red patterns, are typical of the decorative practices of early printers.

4. **Symbols and Marks**:
    - The symbol at the bottom with the interlaced design and the cross on top is reminiscent of a printer's mark or a colophon. Printers would use these symbols as a sort of trademark.

Given the details provided, this book appears to be a religious text related to the sacrament of confession, printed in the early 15th century, likely in or around the region of Louvain. The specifics of its origin, printer, and exact significance would require more in-depth research, potentially consulting catalogues of early printed books or specialized databases related to early modern printing.

My comment: This is the most difficult page to analyse. The title and some context are correct, but the author (Godschalck Roosemondt of Eindhoven) is not correct, just as the date. This page was printed in June 27th 1519. The printer mark with the rose and "mondt" is a bit too hard to understand.

My general thoughts about ChatGPT Vision: Quite an improvement over Bing Chat in my opinion. This model hallucinates a lot less. I am impressed and this tool surely can help my research! If you are curious about a picture you own, please post it here and I will analyse it for you!

smallaxe and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Ex Libris , that is very interesting. I don't have anything to send for interpretation, but please post more from your own collections sometime if you wish.

Ex Libris likes this.
  6. Ex Libris

I did another test. This time not on a book page but on an object I bought (that I will post separately on this forum). My question was: What can you tell me about this object?

H19386-L344536563_original.jpg
    Answer ChatGPT:

The object in the image appears to be a triptych, which is a work of art (usually a panel painting) that is divided into three sections or three carved panels that are hinged together and can be folded shut or displayed open. Triptychs are most commonly associated with Christian art from the Middle Ages and the Renaissance.

Here's a step-by-step analysis based on the image:

1. **Form**: The object is a small triptych with two outer panels that can fold over the central section. The central part features a raised representation of the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, while the side panels contain painted figures.

2. **Material & Techniques**:
    - The central depiction of Jesus appears to be a carved figure, possibly made of ivory or bone, affixed to a textured background.
    - The side panels are painted, likely with oil paints. Over time, such paints can crack or peel, which might explain some of the wear visible in the image.

3. **Iconography**:
    - Central panel: The crucifixion of Jesus is a central event in Christian theology and iconography. It symbolizes Christ's sacrifice for humanity's sins.
    - Left panel: The figure might be the Virgin Mary, often depicted in scenes of the Crucifixion as a sorrowful mother. The crown and the manner of her dressing suggest her heavenly queenly status.
    - Right panel: This could be John the Evangelist or another significant saint. The presence of a book might be a clue to his identity.

4. **Age & Origin**: Without more specific information or a closer inspection, it's hard to pinpoint the exact age and origin of this object. However, based on the style and subject matter, it could hail from the European Middle Ages or Renaissance.

5. **Condition**: The object shows signs of wear, with paint chipping on the panels and some damage to the edges. The textured background in the central panel also appears to have some wear or degradation.

In the context of early modern European history, such triptychs were often used for personal devotion, as they are portable and can be closed to protect the inner images. The presence of the Crucifixion and significant figures from Christian theology suggests it was likely used for private prayer and reflection.

If you have this object in your possession and wish to learn more about its provenance or value, I'd recommend consulting an expert in early modern European art or artifacts. They would be able to provide a more detailed analysis and potentially identify the specific time and place of its creation.

Again impressive, although not all conclusions are right in my opinion!

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. Ex Libris

I have tried something different. This time an old map. The question this time was:
    What can you tell me about this old map?
    H19386-L344528613_original_small.jpg

Answer ChatGPT:

Certainly. Let's analyze the map step by step:

1. **Title**: The cartouche on the right side of the map reads: "BRABANTIAE GERMANIAE INFERIORIS NOBILISSIMAE PROVINCIAE DESCRIPTIO." This can be translated as "Description of Brabant, a most noble province of Lower Germany."

2. **Geographical Area**: The map appears to depict the historical region of Brabant, which, during the early modern period, was divided between the Spanish (and later Austrian) Netherlands and the Dutch Republic. This region currently forms parts of modern-day Belgium and the Netherlands.

3. **Details**: The map is densely packed with names of towns, cities, rivers, and other geographical features. Several cities such as Antwerp (Antwerpen) can be identified.

4. **Stylistic Elements**: The cartouche (a decorative frame around the title or legend) is ornate and typical of maps from the Renaissance and Baroque periods. Additionally, there's a depiction of a figure at the bottom-left corner which may serve as a decorative element, often used in maps of this era to denote local inhabitants or iconic representations.

5. **Time Period**: Given the style and the details, this map likely dates from the 16th to the 17th century, a period when mapmaking flourished in the Low Countries, especially in cities like Antwerp and Amsterdam.

6. **Possible Mapmaker**: The Low Countries (present-day Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg) during the 16th and 17th centuries were a hub for cartography. Famous cartographers from this region include Abraham Ortelius and Gerardus Mercator. While it's not possible to directly attribute this map to a specific cartographer based on the image alone, it's within the style and tradition of maps produced by such notable figures.

In summary, this is a detailed map of the Brabant region from the early modern period, likely from the 16th or 17th century, representing the rich tradition of cartography from the Low Countries. If you have any further questions or specific points you'd like to delve into, please let me know!

Again an impressive analysis! The map itself is indeed a map from the province Brabant from the Ortelius Atlas (1571), so the time period that ChatGPT provided is very broad. It guessed the name Ortelius correct, but it could not decipher the actual map maker that is named on the map: Jacob van Deventer.

Screenshot 2023-10-13 170714.jpg

Attached Files:

JJH and Figtree3 like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Very interesting!

Ex Libris likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted