Featured F.M. Doblmeier published postcards - K Roller artist

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jason2424, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Just to let you know, the "Who Was Who in American Art" is supposed to be a compilation of what was in the older publications that were mentioned ("Who's Who in American Art," I mean.) The "Who Was Who.." included just people who were then deceased, as I recall. However, it would be worth checking the older editions ("Who's Who") in case something was left out of the later compilation.

Also, I notice the entry says "Illustrator: McCall's" rather than just one cover. Maybe he did even more illustrations for them?

Jason2424 and Huntingtreasure like this.
  2. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Good point!

3. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Another find! Received and email from American Artists Group, who told me they published 2 cards with his artwork. The Trinity Church one we already have, and this one:
    Roller-S-15830.jpg

What's interesting is that we have 2 painting of his very similar to this with the sheep going into the woods:
    Webp.net-compress-image (10).jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Couldn't find anything else.

Debora

7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Jason,
    I was just thinking about that Christmas card from 1946. Have you seen any Christmas themed watercolor artworks?

8. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

I have not seen any of his artwork with a holiday theme actually!

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I think 'Protective Wintergreens' would make a fine winter holiday card, or to my taste in such things, anyway. :happy:

10. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Funny you mention that because I put it in a silver frame with a cardinal red mat, and use it for Christmas decor on my wall!

11. Huntingtreasure

@Jason2424
    I was just thinking, it might be worthwhile to call us copyright office. From reading up, it is a little unclear to me, as to a no fee inquiry. As I read it, if you have copyright no. And date, it should be no fee. I would also ask what they could send you. I’m just assuming an artist would submit a sketch or sample with the application. I think the info is in one of figtree3’s posts. (Or maybe I’m misunderstanding it)
    HT

Jason2424 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Since things have seemed to slow down a bit on this thread, I'd like to take the opportunity to thank everyone that contributed and helped my family so far on our quest! I will continue to update the forum in the coming months as we, I'm sure, find more of his legacy. Please keep me updated if you come across any more tidbits, or large bits, of information about my great-grandfather Samuel Kagey Roller! Thank you all!

Huntingtreasure and Figtree3 like this.
  13. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Update: We have located one of the original paintings done, which was used to print the Trinity Church postcard. We now know the original paintings were 5" x 7.5". Below is a picture of the actual painting. I am in negotiation to purchase it from the current owner, but understandably they are asking for quite a bit.

A new friend who is in the Metropolitan Postcard Club of NYC will be keeping an eye out for me at the Postcard show this weekend! Per my wife our 2 month old first child takes precedence over searching for dead ancestors artwork, so I cannot personally attend! :happy: SKR Original Trinity Church Painting.jpg

14. Figtree3

That is great news! And thanks for the update. Your wife's priorities are in good order. (And yours, too.) When the baby gets a little older you can start teaching him/her about this family heritage, and maybe then you all can enjoy the quest!

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  15. Huntingtreasure

Congratulations on both updates! :)

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  16. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Just wanted to bump up this thread from a year ago, as we are still on the hunt for all the postcards of my great-grandfather! Here are the names of ones we still do not have:

Cloisters in beautiful Ft. Tryon Park, on the Hudson River
    View of Cloisters, through an arch in Ft. Tryon Park (the ones you have)
    Empire State, the world's tallest building
    Fifth Ave. view of la Maison Francaise and British Empire bldg., in Rockefeller Center
    George Washington arch, at Washington Square Park, looking up Fifth Ave.
    George Washington bridge, from Ft. Tryon Park
    Glimpse of the residential section on Central Park, West, from Central Park above 72nd St.
    Woolworth building from Center St

Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated!
    Jason

Figtree3 and i need help like this.
  17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Will keep an eye out!
    I need help
    FKA Huntingtreasure ;)

18. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Thanks again Hunting, i mean "I need help"! :)

i need help likes this.
  19. Figtree3

Thanks for the update! I won't be going to an antique show at least until April. But will try to remember to keep an eye open for these. (Will have to re-read the thread to remind myself.)

i need help likes this.
  20. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Thanks Figtree! I hope to go to the NYC Postcard Convention in April myself.

SBSVC, Figtree3 and i need help like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted