Featured F.M. Doblmeier published postcards - K Roller artist

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Jason2424, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Have you contacted the Otsego County Historical Association?

Debora

Jason2424 likes this.
  2. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Hunting, thank you for finding that bio! That's where we found the idea that there was a McCall's magazine cover done by him! We have actually been to the Lynchburg Art Club, spoke with the President and saw some paintings he had done. The Cooperstown Art Association I contacted, and they were less than helpful. They have more of an eye on the present than the past. Now the American Artists Professional League still exists, and I'll contact them next! Thanks!

3. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Great find Figtree3! That might be all the card names now!

Bronwen, Huntingtreasure and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Will look them up and see! My wife and I should visit Cooperstown, NY soon. There may be some ground to be covered there on foot that internet communication would not uncover!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't forget to visit the library and throw yourself at the mercy of the research librarian. And the local newspaper which should have archives.

Debora

6. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

yourturntoloveit and Bronwen like this.
  8. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Bronwen likes this.
  9. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

I can nearly guarantee it’s a different artist, as SK Roller did almost exclusively watercolors. This one appears to be in pencil. Interesting to see some other cards published by Doblmeier though!

Aquitaine and Huntingtreasure like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good to know... I'm not keeping track!

11. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

I received an email back from that site from a very nice gentleman stating: "I'm sorry but I do not have a way to index that, but I'll keep your request on file in case a copy turns up. If you ever determine the issue date, it would greatly help the search."

I'm sure someday more information will arise from our family archives to give us more of lead on the McCall's cover art! Thanks again for the find Aquitaine!

12. Huntingtreasure

On one of the entries on Askart I remember seeing he also had done photographs and cartoon illustrations. It was under “quick facts”

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Bronwen likes this.
  13. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@Jason2424, Happy to help where and when I can, along with everyone else!!

Bronwen and Huntingtreasure like this.
  14. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Hmm, so you're suggesting maybe the McCall's was a photograph?

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  15. Huntingtreasure

No not at all, just letting you know there may be other things for you to find.

Bronwen and Jason2424 like this.
  16. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

This is a bit late to the discussion, but I found this 1950 VA newspaper reference to Roller...
    SKRollerRichmondTimesDispatch1950-05-21ASm.jpg
    SKRollerRichmondTimesDispatch1950-05-21BSm.jpg

17. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

Wow what a wonderful find, morgen94! Thank you so much! My family will now be on the hunt for an original copy of that magazine as well at that watercolor that must still be out there somewhere!

Figtree3, Bronwen and Huntingtreasure like this.
  18. Jason2424

Jason2424 Active Member

More success! In contact with the Metropolitan Postcard Club of NYC, one of their members sent me pictures of two more postcards. The running total of images is now 9 out of 14. @Bronwen I think this was the other end of Ft. Tyron park you were thinking he probably would have painted! Interestingly, the Planetarium is not listed in either of the copyright books this forum found.

The Cloisters, Ft. Tyron Park
    SKR-Cloisters.jpg
    The Planetarium
    SKR-Planetarium.jpg

19. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Jason, I'm so glad they got back to you! I TOLD you you were going to succeed in your quest!

20. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I'm actually rather stunned that my surmise was correct. With all the possible scenes to paint... He may have chosen it in part because it is out of the way, not so well known or frequently depicted as many other sights, & if he was up there (Washington Heights) to get a good view of the bridge, why not walk to the uptown end of the park to do this one as well. Could also be that Doblmeier, wanting a full array of selections, had fewer to choose from for the Cloisters.

Jason2424 and Huntingtreasure like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted