Featured Eskimo carver ID help.

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by J Dagger, Sep 13, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I’m not saying they used them often but some of these figures frequently have them. Good info to know though! I’m always interested in looking at Inuit/OBS artifacts and I see many more harpoon/spear tips and net weights than lures.

Edit: maybe I’m a bit of a liar. I’ve seen them with fishing poles but after an image search maybe it’s fishing line more often than poles themselves.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  2. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

I’d love to see a picture. I have geen dealing in Canadian Inuit art for over 40 years and cannot recall ever seeing a fishing pole depicted in sculpture. A jig line perhaps, but again, not from a seated position.

3. J Dagger

If I see one again I’ll send a picture. I think what I had in mind was more likely a jig line. I’ve seen many with line trough their hands. In a quick search there are some with short poles/sticks in their hands that are somehow being used to manipulate their lines.

The Boma/Wolf type figures below are what I had in mind when I made my initial comment, so line rather than poles EBA4449E-BCD4-4907-9FD4-C8F2497C8DE3.jpeg

Edit: BTW this was all in relation to factory produced representations of Inuit art, not art actually produced by Inuit artists. Edit 2: oh maybe it wasn’t, I had my comments mixed up. Either way fishing line not poles, you’re correct.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
    Figtree3 likes this.
  4. J Dagger

Just realized I had this Woody Mfg Co. one sitting around. Maybe yours had a fish like this? 880716D2-9EA5-4E23-8B39-4EEE792E5394.jpeg

Potteryplease likes this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Nice. That’s a crazy little fish.

J Dagger likes this.
  6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Another question (if I may): more than a few Inuit carvings seem to have broken teeth / tusks / lines / knives / accents etc. Those accoutrements seem delicate relative to the stone, but they certainly add a lot to the piece. Is there a way to get carvings ‘repaired’? Are there ‘spare parts’ somehow? Or are they basically done with when that happens? I still like the aesthetics of my walrus minus the tusks, but he might be happier with some prosthetics.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I replaced an ivory knife with a bone knife, and ivory tusks with bone tusks.
    It can be done & doesn't harm the work.
    Spare parts can be had....specially in the market areas....& can be made buy competent craftspeople..in any market.

Figtree3, J Dagger and Potteryplease like this.
  8. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The piece that you showed in the post right after this one is wonderful! (Not a collector of native art, but do admire the pieces.)

komokwa likes this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

never too late to sprinkle some NA work around the house !!!! :hungry::hungry::hungry:;)

( have I got a deal 4 U !! ) ........:playful::playful::playful::playful::playful:

Potteryplease and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Thanks! :woot::hilarious::cool: For now I'll just look, though. :):)

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted