Featured Ebay returns question

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by 808 raver, May 14, 2024.

1. Sdcookie2

Sdcookie2 Well-Known Member

If eBay refunded your money instantly with no instructions to send it back it is yours to keep.

808 raver and komokwa like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm having a hard time seeing tortoise shell , Ruth !

@808 raver ......is that what it is..?

808 raver likes this.
  3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Boulle marquetry is made with sheet of tortoiseshell, colored on back, cut together with brass sheet in ornamental decor. So you have a positive and negative: brass inlay on shell and shell inlay on brass.

Any Jewelry, komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Is it not possible to go in from the base were there is no inlay, is it one piece or is it fastened with screws, nails or joints.

komokwa and 808 raver like this.
  5. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

OOOhhhh is that someone who knows about locks? Ebay did give me a free concierge service so they must care a little. As a buyer (rarely a seller) I buy most of my antiques on ebay, I have never been left out of pocket and for what I've bought I've done rather well.

Aquitaine, komokwa and kyratango like this.
  6. 808 raver

I think that stands for a lot of antiques in the new world, in Europe antiques are everywhere so we learn about them, antiques roadshow comes from the UK, we have a few antiques TV shows daily ect. I'm not sure a lot of Europeans know about bramah locks or English Boulle but if your a dealer in Europe then it's bread and butter knowledge.

komokwa and kyratango like this.
  7. 808 raver

I wasn't thinking of going in from the bottom, I'm going to cut the two tabs from the lock keep that go into the body of the lock, there is enough room to fit a multitool saw blade in if I lift the lid.

komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  8. 808 raver

Ohh I do hope so :) I will wait the 8 days before I unpack it and try fixing though.

9. 808 raver

Yes it is tortoise shell and brass, normal tortoise shell is brown but this has a red behind it, sometimes green is also used. English Boulle is often cut differently from French/European Boulle, it mixes the background on the same panel with both brass and tortoise shell whereas European Boulle is full brass or full tortoise shell.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ya, it's the red and the pattern that I'm not used to seeing......:wacky:

& yes....they know a little about locks...;):woot:

kyratango and 808 raver like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted