Ebay: 800 Silver Caviar Server, bowl and spoons

Discussion in 'Sell' started by XdebugX, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Difficult to say that it is, since the left end of the cartouche is not visible. It looks like there might be another number on the left of the 8. With the 3 appearing to be in the exact center of the cartouche, I am more inclined toward a 3 digit maker's number.

2. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

Yes that it does. Almost looks like a 2 maybe before the 8. I'm also wondering why this mark appears to be stamped upside down? If the 800 mark is left to right as if you were looking at the base with it standing up, then the maker's mark appears to be left->right with the base upside down?

3. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

I've decided to end this ebay listing without selling the item, because I want to polish it some and list it again later.

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The punches are done by hand and not in the mold, so seeing them in different orientations is not really an issue.

It's always a good choice to polish up before listing. ;)

5. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

I've polished it up a bit, used a Goddards polishing cloth and silver polish. I didn't get all the tarnish off, but what do yall think of my polishing job?

firstview.jpg topdownwithspoons.jpg side.jpg

6. quirkygirl

quirkygirl likes pretty old things

Sweeet!

(confiturier ... sweet ... get it? yuk yuk)

Seriously, it looks GOOD!

7. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Ooooooooooooooo. Me likey.............me wanty.......................

Actually, it looks very nice and you've done a lovely job.

Christmasjoy, judy and XdebugX like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

ahhh...elbow grease.......good job !

Christmasjoy, judy and XdebugX like this.
  9. XdebugX

XdebugX New Member

10. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

I know this post has been here a while but I felt this might help. I have used this method to clean small pieces of silver but it worked well and much less elbow grease. Especially filagree and etched pieces. If you like that antique look though do not do this.
    Line a bowl with Reynolds aluminum foil. Place your silver in contact with the Reynolds wrap. Boil water then add baking soda (1 tbs per cup if I remember correctly). Do not continue to boil, just mix to dissolve and then pour it immediately into the container over the silver. Let it sit for 3 plus min or until cold. Rinse off and polish just to say you did. :). You may have to do it twice on some pieces but if done right this will remove ALL the patina. From what I understand there is a chemical reaction between the hot baking soda and the aluminum and it dissolves the patina. The spoons should be easy. The logistics of the bowl is up to you.
    Caveat. I have done this several times and as far as I can tell there was no damage. At least to the silver.... That being said I am no expert and you might want to double check this method before applying it. It is boiling water.

Paul

11. RinTinTin

RinTinTin Well-Known Member

Confiturier has several meanings and one of them is:
    Bassine à confiture - bowl (see pictures)
    https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bassine_à_confiture

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The 'aluminum foil' method is not really a good method - while it does remove tarnish, it also removes both natural and applied patina, which is not desirable...

~Cheryl

judy likes this.
  13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't use it on my silver.....I want that patina, but I have used it on the copper bottom Revere Ware pots, and it does work wonders!

gregsglass likes this.
  14. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

15. Paul Noonan

Paul Noonan New Member

Yes, it does remove ALL patina.

Draft saved Draft deleted