Eastlake Parlor Set - what kind of wood, etc.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Bookahtoo, Jun 25, 2014.

1. rro2000

rro2000 Active Member

Raw silk?

2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Here's the best I can do so far:

IMG_1162.JPG

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I still think walnut but it is hard to tell from these narrow sections. As for the fabric, I do think horsehair. Whether this was real or a synthetic simulant, I do not know. It did have a look of heavy silk but was much more durable. The fact that some of this fabric has survived 100 years or more intact is testament. They also used horsehair as stuffing.

4. pentiques

pentiques New Member

My money is on Walnut. Most of these vintage parlor sets were walnut. I agree the velvet is probably 1960s. Not cheap to put all those tufts in the back. I would try ebay, pick up only and see what happens. We have had some luck saying pick up only and then mentioning Uship. People seem to be catching onto Uship. The buyer contacts uship lists what they want pickup and delivered, people bid on the delivery. We sold a sideboard, pick up only to someone in VT. They contacted Uship. Someone in Maine was taking a trip to VT. They stopped at our shop pickup the sideboard and dropped it off to the buyer in VT. Buyer works everything out with the delieverer seller has nothing to do with it. In the case of the sideboard we took pay pal payment, had the deliever sign for the item when they picked it up.

5. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Thanks pentiques. It turns out someone who came to the house to buy something else saw this set and ended up buying the settee only. I really didn't want to break up the set but figured a sale is better than none. I'll probably just bring the two chairs to my store and sell them there.

Draft saved Draft deleted