Featured Eastern Shore Virginia - Chesapeake

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by James Conrad, Aug 7, 2021.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, good question! That Mayor there is a TOTAL fruitcake so hard to say what's going on in NYC at the moment, nothing good I suspect!
    No, not yet. It doesn't look like it was stripped in the recent past, I'd guess late 19th - early 20th century. The existing finish is flat & very dry so possibly shellac or maybe a wiping type varnish. It looks good/great as it is, much as I hate that it was stripped and, there is the original paint under the blue on the cupboard interior.

Msalicia, wiscbirddog and judy like this.
  2. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Erik Gronning is the head of furniture there and who you should contact about what is/isn't in that sale, a good guy & a dealer of Early American furniture, he knows the subject well.
    I talked with several dealers about this cupboard, one was the underbidder I think & was a bit pissy in his reply email :sorry:, they all seemed to think it would be a mistake to restore the paint and could hurt the value but almost certainly would not recover the costs to paint restore.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    judy likes this.
  3. Msalicia

Msalicia Well-Known Member

No. I registered yesterday it did state it was going to be in house, on line, and call in bidding. They did post a rules and regulations page for COVID tho.

James Conrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted