Featured Early 20th Century Opium Raids-Up in smoke.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by bosko69, May 27, 2023.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's in Brazil.....

Bakersgma likes this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling Col. Parker was trying to sneakily censor 'El'.

3. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Ha! That is this article which made me plunge in opium:bag:.... Paraphernalia collecting!:joyful:

FB_IMG_1686718783832.jpg

kentworld, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  4. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  5. bosko69

Got the Pipe ! Made it thru postnl in Eindhoven & US Customs.
    I was examining it ('sniffing' around so to speak),and wondering where i could find something to display it on,when my intelligent partner picked it up & walked into the treasure/junk room & placed it in the $5 GW shadowbox-voila ! OP Pipe ShadwBx.jpg
    PS-I'd like to find a piece of Hmong (or other suitable fabric) to put behind it.It would have to be a subtle weave since the object itself is so busy.

kentworld, Paul W, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  6. bosko69

I pulled it apart to see if it had been used,it seems to be encrusted with something,but short of taking it to a DEA Lab to get it analyzed-it shall remain a mystery ! What's your best guess ? @Paul W @kyratango
    PS-The Damper (missing) seems to have been held in the Saddle w/ a leather & textile 'washer' or shim.Even though prob intended as a tourist piece,perhaps used ? pipe1Resize.jpg pipe3Resize.jpg pipe4Resize.jpg

Paul W and komokwa like this.
  7. kyratango

Nice display Bosco! A pretty tourist piece (I've yet to see genuine pipes with those assembled bone plaques...):)

komokwa likes this.
  8. bosko69

Thanks Kyra.Paul W's 'Magg's opium collection' video is amazing.I might've been able to afford a down-payment on that trove if i'd sold the house ! Kinda glad to still have a roof.

kyratango likes this.
  9. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

Looks good, bosko69!
    I agree with kryatango's "A pretty tourist piece (I've yet to see genuine pipes with those assembled bone plaques...)", although I would add, an older one. I would say it was used, judging by the washer and the apparent dross encrustation. Btw, the standard "bowl" stem (which would be brass) has an outside diameter of about 15mm, so you could check to see if that corresponds to the inside diameter of the opening.

On a pipe made to be used rather than a souvenir, the hole leading from the stem into the shaft would be larger than yours, about the same diameter as the inside of the stem.

There are a few appropriate opium pipe bowls on eBay right now starting at $160, not cheap. Maybe save a couple of differently-worded searches and see what comes up.

kyratango, komokwa and Figtree3 like this.
  10. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

@bosko69
    I have no idea how much that Maggs collection sold for, but I would think a million or more. If I'd been a multi-multi-millionaire I would have snapped it up.

kyratango likes this.
  11. bosko69

Thanks so much Paul,great knowledge & advice (Kyra too).I'll measure bowl receptacle diameter & email sellers before purchase.
    Yep,if i found a bowl full of vintage Dampers in Grannies attic it'd pay a good hunk of our vacation-good genuine dampers cost more than most basic ordinary pipes.Someone's got a dusty trunk full out there.
    Kyra (or someone here ?) suggested alternate search terms,ie: ceramic door knobs,pulls,etc.
    I wonder if i could gently heat this thing and find out what it smells like ? Hopefully not charred bone !
    ....and on goes our little search for the Chandu of Xanadu.

12. Paul W

Paul W Active Member

This collection of 50 pipe bowls appeared on eBay in 2008. Buy it Now price was $2,500. I almost went for it, but didn’t . . . and then it was gone.

Many of these ceramic bowls were missing the brass collar, which must be present in order to fit the bowl into the saddle.

Btw, I have yet to hear a suitable name for these "bowls". They're not really "bowls", and "damper" doesn't make sense to me. I kind of like "bulb" but I doubt that would catch on.

Here are all of them, top and bottom views:
    A top.JPG A bottom.JPG

B top.JPG B bottom.JPG

C top.JPG C bottom.JPG

Last edited: Jun 14, 2023
    kyratango and Figtree3 like this.
  13. bosko69

That's a lots of of bowls,bulbs,etc-works out $50 ea.I wonder what the ones missing stems ones normally fetch ?

14. kyratango

I've seen dampers called incense holders:joyful: but they went anyway for$$:arghh:

15. bosko69

Maybe i should take a couple pottery classes ?!

16. bosko69

The interior of the collar (where damper's inserted) is 15.8mm w/ the leather textile washer shim.

Draft saved Draft deleted