Dunno if this should be under Books or Ephemera...

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by kentworld, Aug 28, 2014.

1. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think the whole thing was over a banged up old car and loaded with "nonsense".
    Then a very expensive coat. Looking back it made perfect sense to me but not to other people. lol Besides it gave them something to talk about for a while. I wonder if they thought I was smuggling illegals.
    greg

2. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Well, at least you made them work for their pay, Greg!! ;)

3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

When I was a kid growing up in NH, it was no big deal to go up to Quebec or Montreal to visit relatives. NH had the largest French Canadian population south of the border. One person in the car needed a birth certificate, or maybe all the adults did. I didn't. My son was dating a Canadian woman a few years ago and he called one night to say he was being detained in customs for going back and forth too many times in a short period. I told him to have them call Laura. He said she'd been waiting for him and they had her in a separate room and wouldn't let them talk. I contacted the Consulate in Toronto, but it was Friday after 6 pm and no one was there. Fortunately, a young worker called me back and went over to the airport to sort things out. Big difference. Or maybe it's the difference between French Canadian Americans visiting and folks crossing the border on the English side, Eh?

4. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I might also add that here in New England we often get Canadian coins in change and no one thinks anything of it. When my daughter moved to Georgia and my son moved to California they found out that Canadian coins are actually considered foreign money in other parts of the country. Imagine that! My daughter said the first time it happened she told the guy, "But it's a Canadian quarter." and he thought she was loopy because she couldn't understand why he wouldn't take it.

5. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Would he have thought her loonie if she tried to pay with a Canadian dollar coin?

kentworld, Messilane and afantiques like this.
  6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I have quarters from 26 different states. You might not think that's a big deal, but they've all been gleaned from my pocket change here in Toronto, from the very limited circuit I travel.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

We get American coins up here, too, and don't worry about it -- the banks separate them, though. However, you are short-changing (pun intended!) yourselves as the Cdn. buck is worth about 90 cents US. ;) :beaver:

8. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I must have been asleep? I thought that Canada and the US had the same currency rate? I see that a US dollar is worth 1.06 in Canada.
    When I was a kid we always got Canadian pennies,nickles,dimes and the like in our change and were able to buy candy with them.

9. gregsglass

Hi,
    Did not Canada stop making pennies? I have been saving them for a year or two since I heard they were going to stop. We get a lot of Canadian tourists down here at the shore. The machines take the coins but not the dollars.
    greg

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

No more pennies? I only have a few of them,learn something new everyday :)

I just counted 35 :( Wish I had saved them too.

11. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

12. gregsglass

13. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted