Drop Leaf Table, Arts & Crafts?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by mr2real, Jan 2, 2015.

1. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I used to have a sweet small one similar to this, with a little drawer underneath ...used it in the bedroom...
    now....it's in my EX's bedroom.....
    Ahhh....if wood could talk !!!!
    drop.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. komokwa

OK, Brad....here ya go !

IMG_8529.JPG

IMG_8533.JPG

IMG_8523.JPG

IMG_8526.JPG

IMG_8527.JPG

IMG_8525.jpg

IMG_8530.jpg

You can see that the hardware has been changed at some point , as were the screws in pic five....but in that pic the brackets are still the originals.
    The pegs holding the fold out legs to the table seem original also.

The top open is 36 inches by 42.
    The table is 7/8 thick.
    The side legs are 1 3/8 thick, with the curved bottom of the leg at 1 6/8 ths of an inch .

3. komokwa

I'll post my other bench, side table ...whatever on a new thread as it's not a folder and deserves it';s own place,,,

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Around here, I think that would be called a gate-leg table.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics. I think this is probably post-war and bench made as opposed to factory made. I came to this conclusion based primarily on the idea that this is over-built and is in generally pretty pristine condition. I was really expecting to see signs that this had been refinished if it was an arts and crafts period piece. It just doesn't show enough wear and tear or darkening of the finish to be period. The extra thick lumber for the top and sides is not something that most factories would use. I think it was either made by a talented hobbyist or in a small workshop. The good news is that it is not likely to be an 80s or later reproduction.

6. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

We had an antique gate leg,drop leaf table growing up and my brother and I would crawl under the table when company visited. We were brats.

7. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Memories :)
    I just remembered as kids our Grandad had names for different places around the house.
    If we were looking for a specific object,depending on where it was,he would say,"go look in the gateleg table drawer,or the buffet,or the "thing"next to the stove,in the alcove, the junk drawer.
    If we needed money to pay the paperboy and he was in his dressing gown,he would say,go look in my trowsers hanging on the bedstead.
    I sure miss him after all these years.:(

8. komokwa

Thank you kindly for your observations Brad !
    The top is heavily stained from abusive use, & one of the leg bottoms is sheared off.
    I think it got into a bar fight !!! LOL !!!!

Wait till you see the next table !

Draft saved Draft deleted