Featured doilies: are they worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Phaik Hooi, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Phaik Hooi

Phaik Hooi Well-Known Member

yep i rounded them up like a sheep dog :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

2. Phaik Hooi

@daveydempsey just found my dad's listing of some japanese currency, 1941. not sure if they are those banana currency. got to find them but will take a while :dead::dead::hilarious::hilarious:

is it a popular collector's item these days? not many people kept them because most of us were so poor during those years.

3. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

Collectable but not valuable.
    Search on eBay for "Japanese Invasion Money"
    I get quite a bit, the last batch (The $10 wad shown) were from an old soldier who fought in Malaya and they were stored very well leaving them in near issue condition.

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  4. Phaik Hooi

so you still want me to go look for it?
    dad's list said: 2x1cent, 2x5cent, 12x10cent, 3x10dollars.

Christmasjoy, KingofThings and judy like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

We see you. :)

judy, Christmasjoy and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have tons of what I call "soft" antiques from my mother and aunts. Afraid I have them all over the house, much to spartan hubby's dismay. Tough. I have to live with his 24/7 sports TV, he has to live with my doilys and anti-macassars. ;)

I use powdered Oxy-Clean, but not too much. Warm - not too hot -water soak, rinse, repeat as many times as necessary. The crocheted, tatted, embroidered parts will be more delicate than the base linen. If you can put out in the sun, that's the best because it will help bleach. My mother swore by washing our sheets and towels and drying them outside all year long. They'd come in stiff as a board in the winter and she'd put them on wooden drying racks in the kitchen and the smell was better than the most expensive perfume.

7. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Bev....I couldn't agree with you more!

I still hang my wash....all year too unless the snow is too deep.

8. Phaik Hooi

tq :)
    reply received and noted :happy:

Aquitaine and KingofThings like this.
  9. Phaik Hooi

we got lots of sun over here though it has been a tad cloudy these few days :joyful:

judy and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted