Do the British use the term "Patent Pending?"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bakersgma, Jan 9, 2015.

1. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you so much! *smiles*

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

And a reply has been sent. ;)

3. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Shiloh - my regards to your mother! Every time I was pregnant I CRAVED peanut butter, lettuce & mayo on toast. I noticed that no one looked askance at the pickles and ice cream ladies, but MY choice made everyone turn green. Delighted to know I am not alone! And, thank you Greg!

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Speaking of favorite sandwich combos (patented or not :rolleyes: ) there are 2 from my childhood that I would classify as "comfort food." Peanut butter with celery (to cut the stickiness of the PB) and leftover baked beans slathered with mayo. :p

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

My mom used to "fill" celery with peanut butter which was very tasty. And if you like plastic cheese, then you can have celery filled with Cheez Whiz. (One of my favourite lunches was bread with Cheez Whiz broiled until the Cheez Whiz is puffy and black on top.)

6. Bakersgma

Oh yes I remember the PB stuffed celery sticks and the ones with cheese inside, but we weren't a Cheez Whiz family. Velveeta or nothing.

I think I was an adult by the time I had my first grilled cheese. We had a round gizmo called a Toast-tite in which you constructed the sandwich, then closed the two halves in such a way that the edges were firmly clamped together (and the bread was always bigger than the TT so it also removed the crust.) Place on gas burner, turning after a while to toast the other side, open and voila! Crustless grilled cheese with all that ooey-gooey goodness!

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Celery + Peanut butter + Raisins = Ants on a log!

kentworld and Messilane like this.
  8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Top favorite sandwiches for when my folks weren't home to stop me;
    lettuce & mayo on white bread, or peanut butter and syrup (mixed together) on white bread.
    I still love both, but only indulge in the PB & S once a year.

9. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Yummm - white bread and mayo, even better with tomato slices (best eaten at the kitchen sink).

My entire life, every big dinner had a relish dish or tray with ripe olives and celery stuffed with pineapple cream cheese, along with whatever other goodies we felt like putting out - now that Philly has pineapple cream cheese in a tub, I can just sit down with some celery sticks and dip away.

~Cheryl

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

White bread, mayo,& tomato slices ?
    What happened to the maple cured bacon & lettuce ..........
    Nuthin like a good old BLT , to cure what ills ya !!!!!

11. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I'm a "peanut butter, banana slices, and mayonnaise on white bread sandwich" person.

I also like a small bowl of banana slices, peanut butter, a touch of mayonnaise, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup (without the bread to save on calories, oh yeah). ;)

But even those delicacies pale in comparison to a white bread, fresh tomato slices right off the vine and still warm from the sun, and mayonnaise (sometimes with a slice of cheddar cheese) white bread sandwich. If that sandwich doesn't have to be eaten over the kitchen sink then the tomatoes weren't ripe enough. :happy:

12. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

These sandwiches are making that canned green glop seem almost edible

13. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Says the man from the Land of Lutefisk. :woot:

:)

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

And lest we forget: the after-feast Thanksgiving sandwich: white bread, mayonnaise, cranberry sauce, lettuce and turkey slices. :)

Some people put in a layer of stuffing, but that is a bit of a muchness for me.

yourturntoloveit and quirkygirl like this.
  15. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

lol, wow my childhood eating was soooo different.. all fresh vegetables and fruit no canned or frozen. My parents were into "health food" before it was a fad. We lived in S. Cal so fresh was always available. I was embarrassed by the contents of my sack lunch. (whole wheat bread, unsulfered dried fruit, carrot juice, etc) Sometimes, I would trade my peach or nectarine for some junkie hostess item.

But back to the silver thing. Does the bowl of the spoon have a gold wash? If so, I am thinking it was used to drain olives or something in a brine.

antidiem likes this.
  16. Bakersgma

Hi trip! The only information is in the link to the discussion. There's one pic that shows the business end of the spoon and it's hard to say whether that's gold wash or tarnish or just lighting/reflection.

Draft saved Draft deleted