Do the British use the term "Patent Pending?"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bakersgma, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Cheryl, you'd probably love espinacas al Catalan. Spinach wilted in good olive oil with a tad of garlic, then tossed, hot, with fat sultanas and pine nuts.

I also love baby spinach leaves with fried red hot bacon lardons chucked on them. Lovely mix of hot and cold.

2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Bear - the espinacas al Catalan sounds fabulous!

~Cheryl

3. Ownedbybear

I absolutely love it. Mind you, I love any Catalan food.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Cheryl - no disrespect to your Mum, but i always have suspicions about people who really like fruitcake. Does she also like those chocolate covered coconut eggs that were the centerpieces of troodles of my Easter baskets? And peeps -- how about peeps?

:)

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Ummm, she eats peanut butter sandwiches with bread & butter pickles several times a week - I have no illusions regarding her tastes. She is a serious chocoholic and will eat almost anything to do with it, but did finally stop eating chocolate syrup on bread, a frequent dessert during her Depression-era childhood. I will make no apologies for my own fondness for Peeps of all colors and flavors... :p

~Cheryl

6. Ownedbybear

Frutcake. Yum. Especially the kind matured with lots of brandy injected in.

My Ma used to eat condensed milk on buttered bread and would put butter on cheddar.

7. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

My mother used to make a "light" fruitcake at Christmas. More cake, less fruit. People who didn't like fruitcake liked hers. My Dad was known to put sugar on ice cream...

8. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

9. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I had never run across Brussel sprouts until I was in basic training. The Filipino cooks had them drenched in government surplus butter. I rather liked them.

I tried growing them in the garden one year. Started from seed. By fall they barely had tiny heads. I let them go as long as I could. On Halloween night we got 32 inches of snow. The three foot tall stalks disappeared. Come spring, they were still alive. The ground under the snow never got a chance to freeze.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

The bumblebee in the spinach just killed my appitite. :arghh:

My Mom was also a great cook but when she made spinach for our granddad,she topped the disgusting pile with sliced hard boiled eggs.:vomit: Then when she made liver and onions I hid. :nailbiting:
    I was and still today a very finicky eater.:p

BTW, that pic of plop I posted for Af, I took off the internet. :D

antidiem likes this.
  11. Ownedbybear

Brussels sprouts actually need frost to develope the best flavour.

antidiem likes this.
  12. spirit-of-shiloh

Brussels sprouts,cooked cabbage,cooked spinach,pickled beets,egg plant,creamed corn...RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN :eek:

Now I learned to love broccli,califlower,plump baby peas,whole kernel corn and yams. I dislike iceberg lettuce but love curley leaf lettuce,raddishes,cucumber,avacado,and tiny tomatoes.:p

13. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

I hate, with a purple passion, avocados and kale.

14. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

I think you had a president whose only correct opinion was a dislike of broccoli.

Unless posterity shows he really mean Cubby Broccoli.

kentworld likes this.
  15. spirit-of-shiloh

My Mom made peanut butter and mayo. with lettuce sandwiches and I must admit, they are good.:p

16. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I still make peanut butter and mayo sandwichs sometimes I put potato chips on it. Great comfort food. The darn B/S are banned from this house,
    the same with saurkraut. Fresh baby spinach leaves heaping with chick peas and onions and ranch dressing which we always called boiled dressing long before Hidden Valley. Dang, now I am hungry.
    greg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  17. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Wow Yourturntoloveit, thank you so much for letting me know!

I JUST recovered from a terrible kidney stone, the pieces are still bothersome, but at least it's in pieces now. Chanka piedra works very well for me to break up the stones, I've had them before. I have probably caused them by eating cheese with greens. Sincere thanks.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  18. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Antidiem, may I send you a message through the "private message" system on this forum?

antidiem likes this.
  19. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

But of course! =)

20. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Antidiem, message has been sent.

antidiem likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted