Do the British use the term "Patent Pending?"

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Bakersgma, Jan 9, 2015.

1. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

All of my early years I only knew of canned spinach

Which, of course, is completely inedible

One year I grew chard just because I didn't know what it was

Fine to eat fresh as is

Lightly cooked it is fine

Cook til it looks like spinach and it is good for the compost pile

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Kale on the other hand tastes good fresh or cooked a bit. Cooked like grandma did, not so much. My dad thought he hated veggies until his grandfather started pulling raw stuff out of the garden, knocking the dirt off and handing it to the kid. Kid ate all of it, right down to the onions.

antidiem likes this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

You all are cracking me up! As a kid, I never ate any cooked vegetables. I took my lunch to school so I wouldn't have to eat the cafeteria food. When my little sister was born, my mom was in the hospital so I had to eat the school lunch. The lunch monitor was determined to make me eat the canned peas being served the first day. I refused and she insisted. I sulked, ate them, and promptly threw up all down the aisle. I didn't have to eat vegetables the next day.

Today, I love most vegetables ...... except peas and corn. I can actually stomach peas and think fresh ones not all that bad. I might retch up some canned ones. Still have no taste for corn and can't even stand the smell of it cooking.

antidiem and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  4. evelyb30

Ever eat it raw? I saw a guy go lawn mower on an ear of raw corn one day, and tried it myself later on. Not bad. Canned vegetables are survival, desperation stuff. I did make a stew/soup out of canned pinto beans tonight, but half of them were being cooked to mush to thicken the mess. Chicken stock and root veggies and fresh sausage made it taste pretty darned good.

antidiem and yourturntoloveit like this.
  5. verybrad

Welcome to the food thread!

Have tried corn raw but still don't like it much. I can eat the baby corn in Chinese food but, again, don't see much reason to. I do like all corn meal products and hominy. Don't care much for pop corn.

Sounds like you eat like I do. Took some left over Chinese fried rice, a can of black beans, some cut carrots, onions, and put them with some fresh Italian sausage to make a skillet meal. I'll probably use the left-overs in a burrito tomorrow. :wacky:

6. evelyb30

I watch Chopped and immediately start cooking stuff in my head out of the ingredients. The fun part was the sausage in this case was something Swedish brought in for the Holidays. I got it dirt cheap because it was fresh sausage and it needed cooking. So I cooked it. Pretty much this stuff: http://www.cooks.com/recipe/qd6g65x9/swedish-potato-sausage.html

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Talk about a thread hi-jack !!

I think I'm watching the Food Network !!! :D:smuggrin::joyful::vomit:

8. terry5732

Everybody knew Popeye wasn't right in the head and had no taste

You didn't see Wimpy chasing nothing as ugly as Olive Oyl

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Or, if you are Paula Deen, Olive Awl.

10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I love veggies. When Ma used to buy peas in the pod, she'd have to buy twice as many as needed, 'cos I'd steal the things. I still adore uncooked mange tout and sugar snaps.

Last night: pork chops, pan fried. Some elderly apples and plums going past their best, cut up, cooked separately with sliced shallot and lemon juice, then dumped a couple of tablespoons of a rather nice sesame and soy sauce in. Poured result over chops. Ate, with Spatzle and french beans.

Davey, all the above from Lidl. ;)

11. Messilane

Messilane Well-Known Member

Yep! Love sprouts! yummy yummy yummy.

Remember when frozen spinach was the thing? Tasted like ground up grass.
    Nasty nasty nasty. Also, YUCK!
    I have not had a mouthful of liver since I was about 8. If my husband wants some, I have to leave the house while it is cooking.

gregsglass likes this.
  12. Ownedbybear

Frozen spinach puree works if you dump butter, cream and nutmeg in it.

As a child, I hated liver - my mama, being sensible, and knowing I wasn't a fusspot, tried it once on me, then never again. I had very few dislikes, and she thought everyone was entitled to some. But, I grew into loving liver, especially seared pink calves or veal liver, with bacon, onion gravy and buttery mash. And oh, chicken livers lightly sauteed in butter and served on toast! A neighbour used to give me the ones that came with the fresh chickens she bought, thinking the Bear would enjoy them. He did not get a look in - but he did get the rest of the giblets.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

:hilarious: Talk about taking a conversation in a completely different direction.

15. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Sorry, Fig; I have to return to liver for a moment.

Liver in my childhood was apparently obtained from an ostrich; shoe leather on the outside and yellow with serious sinews on the inside. Positively beyond YUCK!

Forward eight years or so, and we are heading to our table in Sardi's. (Yes, that Sardi's) I Always try to see what other people are eating, and this time we passed a most elegant gentleman dining on calf's liver and bacon. Perfectly cooked. Just as Owned described.

So I had what he was having and it was wonderful!!! Have made it myself ever since, but let's face it...Sardi's has access to better meat than suburban housewives.

16. terry5732

Better meat often is just less fresh

That dull grey slice in the meat case is usually much better than the bright pink one

17. Ownedbybear

Indeed. Good meat should be a deep dark reddish brown with yellow fat. Properly hung for 28 days, ideally. And allowed to rest after cooking.

18. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Properly hung for 28 days, ideally.

In the old days people used to wait by the gallows with a calendar.

19. verybrad

A friend of mine has an old Polish cookbook where the recipe for a leg of lamb starts out with burying it in the garden for two weeks!

spirit-of-shiloh and Figtree3 like this.
  20. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Mom was/is a good cook, I just truly dislike liver in any form, she and one of my brothers are big liver fans (they actually love fruitcake too), often ordering liver in restaurants - I do like me some fried chicken gizzards though.

Hey, Popeye was my hero! Love spinach so much, I even like the canned and frozen, use fresh in place of lettuce on sandwiches, salad isn't the same without it, and a good wilted spinach salad is probably my favorite. Can tolerate canned green beans, and actually eat a lot of beans like garbanzos or black-eyed peas straight from the can (splash of balsamic vinegar and I'm happy) - black beans usually go with some seasoned chicken, yellow rice and some good salsa (maybe some shredded cheese too). Just made a big batch of the 'best bean salad ever' for visiting family, the ex got all wound up when I told him I had some, came over and ate a huge bowlful (thankful I don't have to suffer his digestive after-effects anymore :rolleyes:)...

~Cheryl

Figtree3 and Messilane like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted