Featured discussion: your fantasy acquisition

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Rclinftl, Dec 7, 2022.

1. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I'm jealous!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    judy and Rclinftl like this.
  2. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

It was simply a matter of kismet.The museum is beautiful and to see Maestro Tagliapietra was big icing on the cake.

judy and Rclinftl like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

upload_2022-12-9_18-30-15.png

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I went to the Chihuly exhibition at Kew Gardens a few years back. Utterly astonishing.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

My niece likes his work too. Not my particular fancy, but if someone wants to throw me a caseful of Lalique jewelry I won't turn it down.

kyratango, judy and Rclinftl like this.
  6. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

I dream of something in a garage instead of something sitting on a shelf:

BMW Alpina B12 5.7
    They only made 57. Cost about $300,000. That's a bargain if you consider other makes with such limited production.

The black car on bottom is my current garage queen. It's a standard BMW production version that's valued at about 5% of the Alpine version.

alpina-b12-coupe-classic-reminder-8.jpg 1997_bmw_850ci_1614381732c0e585e4004DSC08802.jpg

7. bosko69

Heck,I'd even take that 1985 BMW 635CSi that Bruce Willis drove in 'Moonlighting'.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

well...if it's rolling stock.....I'd be fine gadding about town in a Jensen interceptor MK lll ...

9. Chad1234

Chad1234 Active Member

I just built my dream acquisition. A light box to show off my shinies.

20221209_193337.jpg

Hahaha I'm a man of simple tastes.

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

....with a colourful disposition..!!:happy::playful:

Rclinftl and kyratango like this.
  11. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

What a lovely display!

johnnycb09, Rclinftl and kyratango like this.
  12. bosko69

Lovely-I really like the grouping with the green & yellow globular vase.

13. LucyLocket

LucyLocket Well-Known Member

I would very much like the Van Dyck portrait of the children of Charles l to hang on my dining room wall. It would actually take up just about all of one wall!
    I'm sure that if I were to ask the National Portrait Gallery very nicely they would give it to me! 20221210_134759.jpg

14. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Could I please add a case full of Doulton Lambeth plumbing miniatures?

15. bosko69

Damned Bear-You've hit my antique heart w/ those mini-masterpiece toilets ! With unlimited cash I'd be awash in weird salesman's samples,18-19th century steampunk patent models & miniature toilets !
    Thanks for helping me hone-in on my true passions in this field .I'm noticing though they aint' turning up much here (?).

Rclinftl, kyratango and Ownedbybear like this.
  16. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Being a girl of simple taste... Just some jadeite beads in a row...:joyful:
    The Cartier Hutton-Mdivani necklace! Resized_Screenshot_20221210_231520_Samsung_Internet~2_651246896149724.jpeg

17. evelyb30

Those would do. HRH Queen Charlotte had a nice set of emeralds that would do for days when one of us didn't feel like wearing those jades. Or a big honker of a Ceylon sapphire - if someone had a 40-carat one kicking around gathering dust, I thnk I could find shelf space for it.

Rclinftl and kyratango like this.
  18. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

When still collecting art glass, before my better half passed, we'd aspired to own some (a piece of) Mt Washington Lava glass. Eventually we purchased a piece from a Jeff Evans auctions, paying full wholesale price plus 10%. I'll leave that cost to your imagination.

More recently, before I was left alone I had an opportunity to buy another piece at a local auction. It was packed in the bottom of a box with several pieces of fabric and cushions. With buyer's premium of 10% it cost me $16.50.

I have my fantasy acquisition. One like it can be seen here:
    https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/mt-washington-lava-sicilian-glass-vase-32-c-4524efd884

19. evelyb30

Now that's the proper price to pay! Also the best way to find it - neglected in a box lot and no one else there knows what it is.

20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

If means of acquisition were no object..... Niagara!
    [​IMG]

At 7' long, I might have to move some things to find wall space ;)

More attainable would be something like this.....
    [​IMG]
    or maybe this.....
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted