Featured Dining Table

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Leah Battle, Oct 19, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Sometimes called "jacobean revival", popular during the 17th century. Those round turnings on the legs are often referred to as "elizabethan orbs" or
    "cup & covers".
    The styles represented on this revival furniture are Tudor, Henry VIII, Elizabethan & Jacobean, popular in the 15th,16th & 17th century. Often on revival furniture you have 2 or all 4 of these styles present. To get a sense of what the period pieces were like, check out this link & click current stock
    https://www.marhamchurchantiques.com/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. Leah Battle

Leah Battle Member

Thank you so much for the information and the link! Those are beautiful pieces of furniture. I do see how they relate to my table. The finish on the my table has seen better days. Would I be ok to refinish in dark walnut? Or would that be a big mistake do you think? I bought it on Craigslist for $100, but I love it much more than that, if that makes sense. This group is AMAZING. I’m so grateful to have found you all.

KingofThings, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  3. James Conrad

Oh boy! the restore/no restore wars RETURN! We just had a thread the other day talking about all this, you ask 5 different people & you'll likely get 5 different answers.
    My view is, a quality restore /refinish is fine for over 90% of old furniture forms & increases value as well. Let me see if i can find that thread & post a link.

4. James Conrad

5. Leah Battle

Leah Battle Member

KingofThings, Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

:)

7. James Conrad

No problem, hope it helps! The late victorians were BIG on this style of furniture. In england, it went to the point of carving jacobean designs on existing 18th century furniture which kinda destroyed their value and looks weird today. It is nicknamed "Vicobean" and "Vicobethan".
    https://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2014/11/29/picture-this-xxxix/

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    Leah Battle likes this.
  8. Leah Battle

Leah Battle Member

Wow. I have so much to learn! That actually doesn’t look bad to me. Lol How can you tell the difference between Jacobean, Jacobean Revival, and the Vicobean?

judy likes this.
  9. James Conrad

LOL, if you collect it long enough and are around it a lot in person, it's easy to tell the difference. One is made by hand, the other machines so in person it's fairly easy to pick up on those details.
    The Vicobean is easy as well because the style of furniture does not match the carving decoration.
    It takes awhile but like anything else, the more you mess with it, easier it gets.

10. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

As we do at Town Meeting, let me state the opposing view. Check the market in your area. Yes, some people may be able to get more for refinished pieces. It's the old tale of location, location, location. Go to your local antique shops and see what is selling. If, indeed, the refinished pieces are flying out the door, then it is well worth it to refinish. If, however, you add the cost of refinishing and your labor to the price you want for the piece and it's above the market value in your area, then you'd be foolish to sink your money into the project. I have run antique shows in our area for local organizations for many years and our dealers get top prices and not one of them is for a refinished piece. If you don't believe me, contact someone from the Cape Cod Antique Dealers Association and ask their opinion. These folks have been in the business for sometimes as long as 40 or 50 years. Don't feel pressured into action by anyone online. Go to your local hands-on people. I'm sure there is an Antique Dealers association in your area.

komokwa and James Conrad like this.
  11. James Conrad

LOL @ let me state the opposing view , knowed it was comin! Thelma makes some good points however, a couple things to keep in mind.
    As a late victorian piece, your table barely qualifies as antique & further, victorian in general ain't exactly flying out of stores these days.
    If you plan to sell then no, it makes little sense to restore ANYTHING, let alone brown furniture. If you plan to keep & use, i say do what makes you happy.
    Thelma is correct in that there is a "grunge movement" that does exist & should be taken into account if you plan on selling.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
    cxgirl and komokwa like this.
  12. alia

alia New Member

I think this is African Mahogany Wood.Something will not be clear in pictures..

Draft saved Draft deleted