Featured Damaged Emile Galle Lamp Globe - worth anything?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bookahtoo, Nov 2, 2017.

1. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Far Far Away? lol, dead funny!

judy likes this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It's a good question on what to do. Generally speaking I hate fakes. I also will say that when shopping at antique malls etc, I hate seeing fakes even when labeled as such (including when called a repro). I will move on when I see someone attempting to sell one.

But that's me. shrug emoji.jpg

judy, cxgirl and James Conrad like this.
  3. James Conrad

Now kidz, let's not get carried away here! The world record for a single piece of American furniture is the Nicholas Brown family desk-bookcase which sold in 1989 for 12.1 million dollars. Built by the Goddard- Townsend shop in Newport RI
    A line by line reproduction of this desk authorized by the Brown family? $19,016, with the first copy costing $50,000 that all copies follow.

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/08/17/garden/not-the-right-desk-to-carve-a-name-in.html

brown2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  4. James Conrad

I hope no one is suggesting they would turn down one of these repro's if they could buy it for 10 or 20 dollars!

Aquitaine and judy like this.
  5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

In the case of this piece of glass, at least it carries the TIP mark in addition to the Gallé signature. Gallé is widely faked in China and other places and is made to deceive. Apparently (according to google:wacky:) people grind off the TIP and try to pass off as real.

I don't like seeing pieces made to deceive and as I said, I just move on.

6. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

judy, dgbjwc, KentWhirled and 2 others like this.
  7. James Conrad

Yeah, i know that's right if there is a dollar in it, happens in old furniture ALL THE TIME!
    In europe, there is an entire industry that manufacture's brand new antique furniture from 200-300 year old wood. :inpain:

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
    judy likes this.
  8. CookiesCollectibles

CookiesCollectibles Active Member

I would never turn down an exquisite deal like that!

judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

He's going to put it in his booth for $20 and no doubt it will sell.

Thank you everybody for all of your help with this.

I'm a little embarrassed that I did not figure this out on my own, but better to be embarrassed in here, with friends, than embarrassed out there, with customers. :shame::happy::kiss:

10. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

James Conrad likes this.
  11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

James, GREAT article!!! And nice to see someone so young into doing great carving!!!!! AAAAAAND, $50Gs ain't chumpchange either!!!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D:D:D

James Conrad likes this.
  12. James Conrad

No, isn't, and for a reproduction as well.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted