Curious about this painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by AmandaMead, Oct 22, 2022.

1. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

Just flipping it ? How much ?:playful:

53A94F4B-42AA-44DA-9ED9-EB3CC9EDCFBE.jpg

kyratango, judy, Any Jewelry and 4 others like this.
  2. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

That’s the pair I found online too, but I can’t find anything else!

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  3. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

If they're decorative paintings, there wouldn't be much of anything to find. And by decorative, I mean the type of paintings sold in a furniture store to accessorize a home.

Debora

Bakersgma and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  5. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

Except it is signed by my great aunt?

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  6. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

I took a screenshot of the painting I found on Craigslist but for some reason can’t upload it to show the comparison between the two, they are the same deer, same back ground but the details are different. They were clearly painted by two different people

antidiem and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So if I understand correctly, you is a copy by a family member of a painting possibly done by an A.S. Stewart? How did you come to identify Stewart as the possible artist?

Debora

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, never mind. Found this. c. 1890 according to the seller.

Debora

c2cf833bc0f87b76f10ebffcb714bdab.jpg

KikoBlueEyes and AmandaMead like this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

Yes, I suppose she did copy it! It really threw me for a loop when I saw my painting for sale on a Craigslist ad. We were repainting our home interior so I took it down and wrapped it up to be stored in the shed and when I saw the post about the other one I ran outside to make sure it was still there!

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Must have been something she admired. She didn't do a bad job in reproducing. Do you have any other examples of her work?

Debora

15. AmandaMead

AmandaMead Member

I wish I did! My paternal grandmothers side was from Quebec, this was my father’s grandmother’s sister that painted it. This is he only thing from their side of the family that I have. I should try contacting my family in Quebec, maybe they know more about it.

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  16. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

DON'T feel bad....WE ALL NEED A GOOD CHUCKLE NOW & THEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:hilarious::playful::playful::hilarious::D:rolleyes::smuggrin::smuggrin::joyful::joyful:

17. silverbell

silverbell Well-Known Member

LOL! It happens! A number of years ago, I messaged a seller that her item (I forget what exactly, but it was something small and sterling), was just "SO dear."

It was. Absolutely adorable. Unfortunately, I did not take into account the fact that the seller was in England! To her, "dear" meant expensive. "So Dear" meant Really expensive!

As a lifelong Anglophile, I should have known better. The seller was not only insulted, but furious! I hastened to explain, and apologize, we both had another cup of coffee (tea, in her case), and all was well.

But she Was chagrinned big time!

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Didn't want to say, but...:playful:

19. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Treasure it.:) It is precious to have a painting by a relative, and she clearly enjoyed painting it. It is certainly nice enough to be put on display.

AmandaMead and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  20. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Totally agree :)

KikoBlueEyes and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted