Considering Buying this Table Need Info

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dlk777, Dec 8, 2015.

1. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I agree with Brad that the chairs may be earlier than the table.
    Not an expert on whether all Hitchcock chairs are signed. From the links provided it appears they were signed with a stencil.

That being said, keep in mind that ladies of the 1940s - 60s were in the habit of having antique furniture refinished. If the chairs were older and the stencil and paint coming off, a lady would not have sat them in her dining room to serve guests.
    Also, I'm not sure that brown color without stenciling would have been a Hitchcock color. More likely the chairs were refinished to match the table, thus eliminating the stencil signature.
    Just something to consider.

I agree with others the cost seems rather high.
    However, I look at it this way:
    You cannot go to a furniture store today and pay that money and get a solid wood dining set that isn't stapled together.
    So if it is the style you like and want to be using for the next 20-40 years, and it is a price you are comfortable with - go for it. But realize, that you are buying it because you like it, not because you will be able to make money on it later.

2. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

(emphasis added to the quoted material above)

Thank goodness TheOLdGuy asked (and answered) that question.

To my eye the chairs suffer from being in proximity to the table and the table suffers from being in proximity to the chairs. Just my (not so humble) opinion. ;)

3. *crs*

*crs* Hippy Dippy Antiquer

I'm late to the party but I agree with Brad. As soon as I saw the table I knew it was c1940s. As mentioned the chairs do not match and are the style of Hitchcock chairs. $2-3K is high even for retail in MOP. Retail (if it were mine) would be priced around $12-1500.

4. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

As my mother used to say, the chair/table combination, "adds to neither and detracts from both."

However, each are handsome, and if the food is good, guests will be happy.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

To me it makes it look like both have been in the family a long time, if used together. I grew up about 20 miles from the Hitchcock factory and I've never seen one of their chairs that wasn't signed. They signed their beds too, for that matter. The table is really pretty, but around here you'd be lucky to get CRS's $1200 for it; the local ReStore has some really nice sets sitting there going begging. On the other hand, retail for a new one...oy.

6. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

All my/our dining room sets were rather formal. Mom & Dad's; my own; wife and mine - Duncan Phyphe; and the last arrangement. Oddly, all but one were dark. Mahogany? As I recall all had matching chairs. Basically purchased as sets.

Here's a pic that is really close to all. Though I would not have tolerated the cushion color or fabric for more than a week. And this does not have the requisite two arm chairs.

The one that was solely mine (bought used) I did sell to a very nice, cute young couple I met at an antique furniture store. They were looking at some for $3, $4, $5,000 when I brazenly asked the sales lady if they bought antique dining sets.
    The couple met me outside and followed me home. They very happily paid $1,000 +- for mine.
    Needless to say I never dared enter that antique shop again.

But, IMHO, if you're going to do it, do it right. Don't have regrets. Yes, I'm going to say that oval formal dining table needs formal chairs. Not the ones offered with it.

diningset.jpg

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  7. TheOLdGuy

Exactly, Evelyb. 100% right. A decent new couch is $5,000 plus. A comparable used one is maybe $1,500.

*crs* likes this.
  8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Just a few months ago, I was looking at prices of mahogany tables and the only tables that I saw selling at those prices were high end pieces like Kittinger or very large, very old period pieces.

9. silverthwait

Suggestion: sit at that table and be sure your knees are not thwocking the...?...table top surround. (I'm sure there is a proper name for it, but it's not in my head at the moment.)

The thing I particularly like about the table is that it is w i d e enough. I DO like to have space for the bread tray that isn't on top of the water glass!

Messilane and GaleriaGila like this.
  10. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thwocking... note to self. English word for the sound made when knees collide because chairs are too high for a dining table. I thwock, you thwock, he thwocks, they thwock. Thwock/Thwocked/have Thwocked.
    Example. "My knees thwocked that table so hard that I almost cried."

11. TheOLdGuy

Silver, if you take a close look at picture #2 I believe you will agree that there is a good 10 to 12 inches between the seat and the table.
    An engineer here who can confirm that? :smuggrin:
    If you look at the pic. I posted I think you have the possibility to THWOCK something.

Gila, if you don't quit that I could lose my lunch from laughing too hard.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  12. silverthwait

Thwock on, Gila!

And don't forget, "Thou hast thwocken." Useful if one is of the Amish persuasion. :)

GaleriaGila likes this.
  13. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... and I'm near Amish country!!!!! Bless you. Thou. Blesseth thou.
    Sometimes I hate English!

14. yourturntoloveit

[QUOTE="GaleriaGila, post: 99720, member: 993 . . . "Example. "My knees thwocked that table so hard that I almost cried."[/QUOTE]

But being polite you proceeded to eat the radish salad with horseradish dressing proffered by your hosts even as you were holding back tears from the thwocking, didn't you???? ;)

GaleriaGila and Bakersgma like this.
  15. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Oh, yes, I did!!!!!!!

I can multi-task... I can thwock, cry, and eat at the same !

komokwa and yourturntoloveit like this.
  16. yourturntoloveit

Draft saved Draft deleted